1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need a strong head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Sep 13, 2020.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I can't name 5 better GMs of the past 15 years. we've consistently produced winning teams, rebuilding without tanking, and overachieving with limited talent.

he had some misses but was quick to correct them. I mostly blame Les for hiring MDA instead of listening to morey and getting a defensive coach 4 years ago. I blame tilman for not spending to win the past 3 years and then forcing the Westbrook trade. give me a defensive coach, a hamstring for CP3, and an MLE player or two and I think we should be working on a 3-peat this year.

morey has flaws sure, but the rockets can quickly become the Knicks, bulls, suns, kings, hornets, Cavs, pistons, wolves, magic, Sixers, wizards, etc....most teams have bad GMs. there aren't many ujiri, ainge, karnisovas, buford, Marks, Myers, presti, olshey, nelson, Riley, and Prichard's out there.

you don't need the best GM of all time, but if you have a competent GM you're already in the top 10 in the league and you keep those guys until they retire.

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You’re an idiot both are good coaches. Keep drinking your kool-aid HP3, you and your smallball cheerleading are no longer cool on this board. Go root for whatever team MDA moves onto, while us real fans will enjoy life with a real coach out here.

3. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Agree that we need a strong coach, but not for the reason you state. We need a strong coach because our star player is not a vocal leader. If the team's motivation doesn't come from a player, it needs to come from a coach. Harden has had games in past playoffs where his motivation appears to be around ZERO. Our entire team seemed to be sleepwalking at times against LA. We need to find a balance and self-awareness of effort. Why does no one seem to be in control of the effort our team exerts from game-to-game and quarter-to-quarter? Teams should be able to push hard or reserve energy when they decide it is the right time to do so.

Other things on my personal list for coaching and players.
    • MOTION. I've never felt like our lack of bench support was solely due to lack of talent. I always feel like there is a boredom aspect to the problem. If you stand around, you simple become less involved. Also, we completely lose our ability to score easy baskets at times.
    • SIZE AND DEPTH. Sure, we can play at a high level, but not forever. Can you imagine how worn out our guys will be after 82 games of smallball?
    • ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU CAN'T SHOOT 3'S EFFECTIVELY WHEN YOU'RE TIRED. Our shooting percentages were up during this playoff run. It's not a coincidence that we just got off a long break. Make adjustments based on this.
    • VARIETY. We're like a 1920's Army football team... hand it to the fullback and run up the middle on every play. Even when you execute perfectly (we don't), deception and misdirection are necessary to win a championship.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  4. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

very well said, i only disagree with the harden motivation thing. he had a huge individual burden in 2017, did his best the past 3 playoffs

5. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Head coach does not count on tax. I think Morey can pay for it

6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Can you explain in any detail what about JVG or Donovan you like? Donovan has the same kind of adaptation Dantoni does.

7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

yep. I have been advocating for years. With mda gone this is exactly what morey’s legacy is: acquirig big name talents (howard, harden, cp3, russ) while trading away good talented players and future assets to win now which only translated into several reg season wins but coming up short in the playoffs. Coming up short. Its time for a change. Its clearly not working and its been 13 years.

PeterKingX likes this.
  8. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Lol Morey should be the coach.

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I like Billups and JVG combo.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think they should bring in Hartenstein to coach.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Didn't see play for Russia for the Olympics despite never living there?

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is simple. Spare the rod spoil the children. If we just had a strict coach we would have pulverized the Lakers.
    Of course if we just had Anthony Davis we would have won, too.
    Hey, how about we just trade Westbrook for Embied or Giannis and run it back.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What's Chuck Hayes up to? He had an interest in coaching, didn't he?