1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you in Houston? We are supposed to have a mask order in effect.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I do the same.

At this point though, I am starting to take more risk than I initially felt comfortable with and I need to scale back because it makes me anxious. At the same time, I feel pressure from my wife because she wants to go out an do things and I feel I need to do things with her which is why I started getting more lose how I do things, but I think I'm going to start scaling back and reducing my risk.

I see people wearing masks incorrectly or not at all and it upsets me. I've thought about confronting individuals that are wearing their mask incorrectly and just telling them to take the ****ing thing off if they are not going to wear it.

For food establishments, if I see cooks or waiters not wearing mask correctly I just leave. I did risk it this past weekend on tacos where a cook wasn't wearing a mask and I don't know why I did that ****. I was pretty upset with myself afterwards. I feel like I am struggling internally because these last couple of months it started hitting me hard of the same routine of not doing much.

Reeko, Ottomaton, jiggyfly and 5 others like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

All the stores, in general. Employees? 100% Even though the **** is posted on the door of every business, I think that the employees just don't want to mess with Jethro Jackass who walks in without a mask. This is just a couple of small convenience stores, 2 feed stores, and that's all I've been into.

And you're right, it's more common recently.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are human dude.

I walked into work last week and had forgotten my mask, had to go back to my car and get it.

I have started getting closer to people to have a conversation.

All things I would not have done 2 weeks ago.

Have to constantly remind students to pull mask over the nose.

RayRay10 and ElPigto like this.
  5. body slam

body slam Member

I'm a little nw of Houston but do the majority of my shopping around Cypress. Just because there is a mask order does not mean people will fallow the rules. Plus lot of businesses are not enforcing. They just have a sign at the door.

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7. IBTL

IBTL Member

uk doing same ..meanwhile... in usa its redneck corona pawdy day 180

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just "rednecks". The past two weekends there have been big gatherings in Washington Square in NYC.

Also to the women in the video of the story calling it a BLM gathering and framing it as some sort of protest. It's people like her who are muddling the message and one reason why many on the other side of the argument look to BLM protests as not being serious or a cover to do other things.
    https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/09/12/washington-square-park-parties-social-distancing/

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Likewise It definitely gets harder to maintain. Though the type of masks we wear do not feel comfortable if they do not cover the nose, so no problem there. Keep trying to remind myself that all the experts expect the Fall and winter to be the worst period. The wife and I are still following Dr. Fauci and have not eaten out in a restaurant whether inside or in an outside patio. Seem like more of out friends are going to restaurants more like before.

deb4rockets, jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to post this here rather than start a new thread.
    I personally am very skeptical about the Big Ten restarting football and I think this has a lot to do with money and how the loss of college football revenue is affecting their budgets. The University of Minnesota last week cut three sports programs (men's gymnastic, men's track and field and tennis) citing lack of funding following the loss of football this season.

I also think this shows how much of a problem universities have on relying on big time sports. While it sounds like the precautions they are taking could work but those are expensive and not available to the rest of students. This just shows how much there is a divide between these programs and the universities they are part of.
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29897305/sources-big-ten-announce-october-return
    Big Ten football to resume weekend of Oct. 24
    The Big Ten will kick off its football season the weekend of Oct. 24 after the league's presidents and chancellors unanimously voted to resume competition, citing daily testing capabilities and a stronger confidence in the latest medical information, the conference announced Wednesday morning.

Each team will attempt to play eight games in eight weeks, leaving no wiggle room during the coronavirus pandemic before the Big Ten championship game on Dec. 19. That date will also feature an extra cross-division game for each school, with seeded teams in each division squaring off.

The Big Ten would complete its season before the Dec. 20 Selection Day for the College Football Playoff.

Penn State athletic director Sandy Barbour said the Big Ten has agreed to have no fans attending football games this season, which will be held on campus throughout the season. The league is working on a plan to allow families of players and staff to attend both home and away games.

Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez said the schedule will be released later this week. He said the two division crossover games for each team still must be determined.

"Great news today. Over the past month, I could sense the anticipation from our players and coaches, and I'm thrilled on their behalf that they will have a chance to play a 2020 season. Stay positive. Test negative. Let's play football," Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh said Wednesday in a prepared statement.

The Big Ten on Aug. 11 initially postponed its fall sports seasons, including football, because of concerns about the coronavirus pandemic. The presidents and chancellors voted 11-3 to postpone, with only Nebraska, Ohio State and Iowa electing to proceed, sources said. League bylaws required at least 60% of presidents and chancellors to approve a return of the fall season.

Following the postponement, Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren formed a return to competition task force, which this past weekend presented to the presidents and chancellors and reviewed daily antigen testing, enhanced cardiac screening and a data-driven approach to make decisions about practices and competition.

The Big Ten's daily rapid testing program will begin Sept. 30 on all 14 campuses. Test results must be completed and recorded prior to each practice or game. Student-athletes who test positive for the coronavirus through point of contact (POC) daily testing would require a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test to confirm the result of the POC test. Each Big Ten team will designate a chief infection officer to report data about testing to the league, which will make decisions about practice and competition based on team positivity rate and population positivity rate.

Football players who test positive for COVID-19 must wait at least 21 days to return to competition, as they will undergo "comprehensive cardiac testing" before being cleared by a cardiologist designated by each university primarily for that purpose. Concerns about myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle caused by viral infections like COVID-19, significantly contributed to the Big Ten's initial decision to postpone the fall football season.

The Big Ten will use a color-coded system -- green, orange and red -- for both team positivity rates and population positivity rates.

If the team's positivity rate exceeds 5% or the population's positivity rate exceeds 7.5%, the team must pause practice and competition for at least seven days. If the team's positive rate is between 2% and 5% or the population's positivity rate is between 3.5% and 7.5%, the team "must proceed with caution and enhance COVID-19 prevention."

"Everyone associated with the Big Ten should be very proud of the groundbreaking steps that are now being taken to better protect the health and safety of the student-athletes and surrounding communities," Dr. Jim Borchers, head team physician at Ohio State and co-chair of the return to competition task force's medical subcommittee, said in a prepared statement. "The data we are going to collect from testing and the cardiac registry will provide major contributions for all 14 Big Ten institutions as they study COVID-19 and attempt to mitigate the spread of the disease among wider communities."

more at link

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Playing football in a pandemic, and spreading Covid amongst colleges and their surrounding communities will kill more people than all the hurricanes, fires, and floods that are beyond our control. Football and entertainment is something that is within our control. Its sad that it's gotten to the point that those in charge of these decisions don't care.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member

this is like the hedgehog seeing his shadow...another 6 months of quarantine

fml

B-Bob, RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

getting a haircut tomorrow...let’s see how this goes

I cut my hair very low back in like May by myself at home, but I don’t want to do that again

got told about a guy who they say takes as much precaution as possible, so I hit him up for an appointment

I need an edge up...I need a fade

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

CDC study suggests restaurants are high-risk COVID-19 infection hotspots
    A new study from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has found restaurant dining to be the most commonly shared activity amongst a number of adults with COVID-19.
    https://newatlas.com/health-wellbei...ing-high-risk-coronavirus-infection-hotspots/

Honestly, it's common sense that mask free indoor dining is a Covid spreading buffet.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I guess Greg Abbott doesn't care if restaurants are Covid hot spots. Now he's opening them to 75% starting Monday.

Abbott said restaurants, retail shops, gyms, office buildings and factories are allowed to increase to 75% capacity starting Monday.
    https://www.click2houston.com/news/...t-to-hold-covid-19-press-conference-thursday/

Back on May 26th our daily new death average was 13 and now it is 119. Back then our ave new daily cases was 761 and now it is 4,520.

This is a recipe for disaster. Good little Trump puppet. You just earned another Covid spreader medal to hang on your wall of shame!

#3176 deb4rockets, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Every 2 weeks someone new tells us restaurants are bad.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Tilman is on the Strike Force. Lucky we're not at 200% yet.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  19. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree. What a joke to have a restaurant owner on the Strike Force. All he wants to do is make more money at all cost to the communities who have these Covid spreading dumbasses go out and eat in a pandemic.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Montgomery County COVID-19 hospitalizations jump 17 as deaths climb to 139
    https://www.yourconroenews.com/neig...tions-jump-15591972.php?utm_campaign=hcnfeeds

RayRay10 likes this.