1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I feel bad for Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Sep 12, 2020.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

2. amaru

amaru Member

Morey came out and said that Harden wanted to ADD Westbrook to him and Paul but he (Morey) had to tell him it wasn't possible. Why wasn't it possible? I give you one guess, it starts with a T.

3. amaru

amaru Member

I don't think that that was necessary a bad take. CP3 isn't worth the money he's currently making. Ideally, they could have retained him for somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-18 a year but I get that CP wants all his coins lol.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So you want three 40 million players?

This only suggests Harden doesn't understand a lick of the CBA.

5. amaru

amaru Member

Depends on who those players are. I really wanted Butler on this team. But I do think a trio of Paul/WB/Harden goes further than the team we currently have. I was simply pointing out that it's revisionist history to say that Harden simply went in and demanded to trade Paul for Westbrook. Harden did finally endorse the trade, when the first two options either fell through or were blown up by ownership.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't think Morey is perfect, I think he has ceded too much power to Harden - but I do think if he had his way this was not the roster he would have constructed, and I believe we would be spending in to the Luxury tax.

He needs to go, IMHO, for his own good.

DD

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As @Will has said, I doubt there is anything a FO can do now.

Harden is a glorified second banana, he isn't tough enough or too good of a shooter to lead the team to the Finals, I think he realizes that by now.

I think Butler can get us to WCF but Clippers or Lakers are just better equipped.

8. amaru

amaru Member

Butler would have an excellent addition, that's why he was the first option, but that shipped has sailed. I don't think that there is a way forward at this point. Keep in mind that GSW will be coming back strong next year.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Butler did not want to play with Harden - didn't want to stand around and watch him dribble.

DD

BallSoHarden and javal_lon like this.
  10. amaru

amaru Member

I know that's the popular narrative, and there is some truth to that. But Butler also didn't want to watch LBJ or Leonard dribble either. From what I remember, all three teams pursued him. I think the main driver for Butler was that until Miami he's never been the undisputed #1 player on a team. Specifically with Houston, I think another driver may have been his relationship with his family in Tomball.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Wow the delusional conspiracy theory is strong in this one...

Wait, Faried? As in the same Faried that NO ONE IN THE NBA PICKED UP after we let him go? Are you talking about that Faried?

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

DD never has any evidence. The man has been speaking out of his ass for years.

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Both 1&2 are flat out lies DD. He wanted both Westbrook and MDA. Show me something anything the verifies what you claim. You can’t which is a lie. Here, I’ll make up some more lies...Morey fought to keep Capela and it was Tilman who demanded he traded a first round pick for Iman Schumpert. Cut the cr$& and quit following the Morey kool-aid drinkers!!!!!!!!!

RocketOrg likes this.
  14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If you follow the Rockets and know anything about Morey you wouldn’t question number two. All the advance stats and analytics say CP3 is the greatest point guard to ever play in the NBA. His playoff PER at one point was second only to Jordan. Morey would never trade that player for Westbrook who the analytics are not kind to.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  15. jowman

jowman Member

He’s way overrated by this board. That said not sure who we can get to replace him at this point.

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

He can’t publicly acknowledge his owner and star player forced him to make a trade. That’s career suicide. If he quits or gets fired I’m sure it will come out. Closet he came to it was the one interview where they ask him about his biggest risk. He said Westbrook that was telling enough. But you know Morey is all about analytics and numbers. Just that alone is the reason why you should know he didn’t want Westbrook. All the numbers favor CP3.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Even with the China fallout?

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need Sam Cassell

Rocket River and Tfor3 like this.
  19. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I've been a diehard Rockets fan since I could walk, but Morey and Harden are both guys I would probably be rooting to succeed elsewhere if they left, simultaneously with the Rockets of course.

Morey has absolutely been accommodating to the guys who write his checks, and as someone who has followed every move hes made for this team, it is obvious when a move is not his, and you are absolutely right these were not his decisions. He is making $8mm a year to do something most people would dream to do. I think he'd like to win with Harden, that was one of if not the best move he has ever made, and it was really years in the making, so I think that is why he prefer not to get fired and get a chance to finish what he started.

It is blatantly obvious when you have a boss like Les who will hire the best people for a job and then let them work with minimal intervention, vs working for someone who has no subject matter expertise, but will act as if they know best. Without getting too political, you can see similarities with how Tilman and his buddy do business and how they minimize the opinions of subject matter experts. They will tell people to shut up and listen, regardless of how much more qualified or intelligent a resource they have may be.

Hakeemtheking, DaDakota and Theking like this.
  20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Didn't Clutch report this himself, that MDA was a Les move?

DaDakota likes this.