1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

USC Professor suspended for saying Chinese word that starts with N

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 6, 2020.

?

Was USC Professor out of line ?

1. 0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 没有

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From my own experiences in the PRC yes "那个" is used sometimes as a filler.

Reading the LA Times article about it I do find it disturbing. As I said it seems very odd to me that at USC that term wouldn't have been heard many times before. Also that the students felt their mental health was damaged? Seriously this goes to what Obama said in 2015 when he criticized the idea of "safe spaces" on colleges. There he was taking on the idea of not tolerating disagreement but this isn't even about disagreement but about misinterpretation.

If these students felt their mental health was harmed they will have a very hard dealing with the PRC or Taiwan or even Singapore where Mandarin is widely spoken.

2. adoo

adoo Member

replace students w snowflakes.

fwiw, Mandarin is also spoken in some parts of Viet Nam.
    the immigrant parents of Zuckerberg's wife had immigrated from Viet Nam.
    they're of Chinese ethnicity, and speak Mandarin at home​

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

To be honest what it sounds like or not and if its similar to the n word is also depending on the ear of the beholder.

As an indoeuropean language speaker not only I am TOTALLY tonal deaf but since my language only has 5 vowels even all the english language vowels fly over my head even with many years of learning and practising.

So even if for a mandarin speaker the two words may sound night and day for me it sounds the same.

However even if they were indeed exactly meant to be the same sound it is ignorant and egotistical to be offended by a foreign word with totally different meaning.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree. This is about intention and I haven't seen anything that would indicated it would indicate there was any intention here other than to point out cultural differences.

malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's a weak and quintessentially American controversy.

We don't feel the need to learn foreign cultures but raise hell and high water for differences within our cultures.

I suspect the mental distress part is selling to the refs. Too pathetic to believe that they're future captains of industry but enough to draw attention in the court of opinion

rocketsjudoka and RayRay10 like this.
  6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Bad news: saying "B" means "pu$$y" in Mandarin.
    If you teach English to Chinese, don't say the ABC's out loud: you might get fired :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and my first Chinese boss was named Mr. Cao.
    If you say that with a rising tone, that's his name; if you say that with a falling tone, that means "Mr. Fukc." Thank God he was not American.

#66 sirbaihu, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    malakas and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree this is a quintessentially American controversy. It is a different form of American Exceptionalism.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I just remembered a similar story. When I was at the National University of Singapore one of my professors was "Professor Lu." When he studied in England he was made fun of because "Loo" is English slang for toilet and he was mocked as "Mr. Toilet."

malakas, FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Just had a Zoom class with my Chinese students (yeah, it's 5AM in China).
    Showed them this video. They were aware of it. Thought it was completely idiotic that the guy got fired. Wished me luck with my American students.

tinman and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

I remember the time i had to create an email account for an employee

His name was Oliver Fock

Our standard email name process was...First initial. Last name@xyz.com

So the email account was o.fock@xyz.com.

I got a warning from my supervisor. I knew I should of asked my coworker to create this email account regardless of company procedures.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This language policing, whether based in extreme dumbness or not, is the same thing Communist China does. It's how China became what it is today. Communists hate hurtful language. They like helpful language. They require it, in fact. "Progressive" impulses can suck too. . . .

malakas likes this.
  12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Honestly I've heard it as a filler in the US. I even heard it when kids were speaking Mandarin to each other in the hallways in high school. It initially caught me off guard when I heard it but it was common enough to where anyone with common sense could figure out what was going on.

RayRay10 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes that's true and "proper language" is a big deal in the PRC and during the Cultural Revolution many were sentenced to reeducation or worse for using "improper language". I don't think that the CCP would extend that to foreign languages. I can't think of off hand what English words have offensive sounding homonyms in Mandarin but I'm sure there are and I have a hard time seeing people getting offending over an English word with a totally different meaning.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

You should've told coworker, for emails you had no Focks to give, but that supervisor, she gave Oliver Focks...

MightyMog and RayRay10 like this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

"dill" for Cantonese speakers

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Saying "B" means "pu$$y" in Mandarin!
    Literally when Chinese kids start learning "ABC," the "B" sounds exactly like "pu$$y." Chinese are not so dumb as Americans though, in this way.

17. Invisible Fan

Thots and prayers for @sirbaihu not to get suspended in this harrowing time...

RayRay10 and sirbaihu like this.
  18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not all americans are that blindly sensitive, just the dumb ones

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So have all the Chinese speaking Clutchfans educated the entitled non Chinese speaking Clutchfans about their own language?

Or do some of the fake enraged Clutchfans still stick to their Sensitive Gringo agenda ?
    Que Paso
    @Os Trigonum

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"That's your happiness and my hap-penis."

sirbaihu and tinman like this.