1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Do You Expect Harden To Do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownrox1, Sep 11, 2020.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Harden has literally been double teamed 90% of this series. Just think about that for a moment. When is the last time a player was so offensively talented that the other team's defense doubled him the whole series?

When Harden is bum rushed and doubled what do you expect him to do? This is on D'antoni and the other guys. Moreso on D'antoni though. You've been in the NBA for how many years and you can't figure out a scheme on how to beat the double team?

People are quick to hate on Harden but don't recognize how tiring it is to be double teamed the whole game. Oh and then to top it off when Harden does get free and drives to the rim his called for BS offensive fouls. Come on man.

You can't tell me there's no answer to the double team other than "COME ON HARDEN YOU GOTTA DO SOMETHING"

At some point you gotta get a guy with height on your team who can score.

Harden isn't Michael Jordan and he definitely deserves criticism but let's not act like this is all on him.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ride out his contract.

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i honestly expect harden to call out silver and his zebras. are they going to give him no calls for the rest of his career then? they already do that. are they going to suspend him for eternity and take away his pension?

CCity Zero likes this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s not all on him, not even close...anyone trying to spin that narrative is a moron

Rockets lack any diversity in their offensive approach, and the stubbornness is through the roof

the rationale is never to switch things up, it’s always to continue doing what we’re doing, but better

teams continue to evolve the way they’re defending Harden, but we just continue with the same ol’ sh*t

in 17-18, teams would switch and let Harden dance on any big man or poor defender he desired...that stopped in 18-19, but we saw the play from behind and sit on his left hand defense...now his scoring has become so dominant that many teams will resort to double teams at halfcourt unless they’ve got an incredible defender who can slow him down

Have we seen anything different? We see the occasional Harden post up, but that’s it. Imagine this current Harden, but with his 14-15 season playstyle. He’d adapt to any defense.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Come out with energy. More intensity. More fire.
    The funny thing is I am his biggest supporter, and am always defending him to my friends and making excuses. But if you’re going to walk up the court every possession in a game 4 down 2-1, or if you’re not going to put in the effort to get open just because Rondo is pressing you, you’re going to look horrible out there. Your body language will rub off on your teammates and your team’s offense.
    The whole tired thing has been my excuse for him too. But can’t really use it as an excuse for the first quarter. And if you’re going to say it’s because it’s the second round and it’s the cumulation of all the playoff games, then fine, but as an athlete that’s a knock on you. He looked great in Game 1. He has it in him. It kills me to say it but it’s his mindset. It’s definitely a mental thing. He lacks the ability to sustain intensity.

6. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

amen...

how can you blame the best player in the NBA?

What has lebron ever done by himself?
    what has kobe ever done by himself?
    what has jordan ever done by himself?

its a team game, period.

this is all tilmans fault.

TEXNIFICENT and htownrox1 like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

but we were told by so many people harden's life would no doubt be easier this year bc his BFF is now here and they can easily tell each other everything

we have an MVP next to harden! let this sink in, that dude really won an mvp over harden just bc he averaged 2 more rebs that year. LMAO

That fooled way too many casuals into thinking this player is a true mvp caliber player. WB "tricked yall man"

[​IMG]

#7 YOLO, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    BigShasta and jordnnnn like this.
  8. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

fchowd0311 will be in here soon to explain why Harden should be way more from double-teams at the half-court. Should be interesting.

HP3 likes this.
  9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

The truth is that Harden is a bit of a front runner. When the Lakers started doubling him and his teammates couldn't take advantage he got frustrated or something like that. It seems like he takes an I know I can't win this by himself approach so here is the ball teammates, do something. He's not a leader and he's not going down fighting when he thinks his team can't win. I don't love that attitude but I think he's right when it comes to knowing they can't win. If Russ can't be a star, and/or the team cannot take advantage of him being trapped and playing 4 v 3, then this team has zero shot against the Lakers. Throw in Rondo being better than Russ down the stretch and it's a wrap.

10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I would rather he come out aggressive to start the game and be useless by the end of the game, than the other way around or even worse than last night where he was useless all game.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  11. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I never hated the trade but I never liked it. Us getting Westbrook was always going to be a 50/50 trade. He can drive to the basket well and create, but he can't really shoot consistently. He also has to share the ball a lot, which doesn't benefit Harden or Westbrook.

But I still feel our supporting cast and bench is trash. We have too many inconsistent shooters. The reason why we're losing this series is that their bench is killing ours. Lebron and AD are actually getting really good help, whilst Harden and Westbrook are not.

ak99999 and RayRay10 like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

the reason why the rockets are losing this series is bc harden has no true robin. Who can't even rest regularly bc lineups without him are complete negatives. they can double, trap, and do whatever to him to get the ball out of his hands and nobody else on this team is a real threat to do significant damage.

no, yelling and talking trash doesn't do anything wb. especially when you turn the ball over, make boneheaded decisions, and create a brickfest every game

James.B.H, HP3 and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I disagree the whole “knowing you can’t win”. All due respect to Lebron and AD but this is not the KD Warriors. They CAN win. Maybe they won’t but give them a shot and find out. I see what you’re saying, doesn’t sound like we are disagreeing but it’s that attitude that sometimes separates the greatness between players.

gmoney411 likes this.
  14. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

He was obviously going to be useless on the offense.... if he's getting double-teamed at half-court. Besides, he wasn't that useless. He still managed to get 21 points, have 10 assists, gets 2 steals, and he had 3 blocks. That's actually a good game for most other superstars in the NBA. He simply wasn't allowed the space to shoot the ball and make that much of an impact.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You’re letting him off too easy. Soon as he gets the double he pretty much pulls himself out of the play completely. Give the ball up, then move around and get it back. Keep their defense working. Don’t just sit on the corner and think you’ve done your job and the rest is up to your teammates.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just go back to 2018 when they had Chris Paul.

1st round Wolves
    Harden dominated first 2 games.
    The rest was mortal and mediocre.

2nd round Jazz
    Harden had another 40 pt start....

3rd round GSW
    I believe he scored 30+ in his first.

The longer the series went on, the worse he shot the ball.

Whenever he struggles from 3, his body language got worse.

It's a pattern.

He broke the pattern against OKC (with elite defensive plays) but reverted back to it now.

#16 daywalker02, Sep 11, 2020
  17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I hate to put this on Harden, and maybe it’s the coaching and front office that’s not getting through to him or allowing him to play this way, but you’ve got to fight to the very end, and if someone is claiming Harden was doing that, then you’re blinding by your fandom. I’ve been doing it for so long.

Jeff Van Gundy said it best a long while back. Paraphrasing here but most people will never fully understand why someone like Jordan will break down crying hugging the trophy when they win it all. It’s because of all the work and fighting you do until the very end. It takes A LOT.
    Harden shouldn’t be criticized just because he’s not Jordan. But just saying if it’s championships he wants, he’s got to change things within himself and we have to stop saying it’s this that and the other.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

#18 heypartner, Sep 11, 2020
    HP3, joshuaao and jcmoon like this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's your series in a nutshell.

20. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

He's tired

He he has a concussion

He's doubled teamed, so unfair!

He's deserved the mvp again!

Best iso player ever.

Best scorer ever!

Excuses when times are bad and accolades/hype during the regular season is what I've come to expect.

manlisten, J.R., gatsby and 7 others like this.