1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. adoo

adoo Member

inasmuch the ERS will be ~ the last W in Oct, the last ERS was July 28, why not Nov or later expiration ?

u'll get the full run up to ERS, and don't lose as much time value

CCity Zero likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

@steveng125 I hope you followed his advice here, he basically got you to almost no loss, assuming you wanted a short term position still. Obviously now it's going back to risk management and depending on plan if you want to ride it or pull out and average out etc. /back in or change plan entirely. It's a lot easier when the money is there, haha.

The rest of the advice is solid too, I've seen people take money they need to be saving on and throw it away (not saying you did or your truck plan is bad, I definitely don't know), but there's a lot more stories that don't get highlighted on trading - ie someone plans that they need to get a bit more for a down payment on their house purchase and risk money that they needed for the down-payment so far... and just play wild/crazy options. And then lose it etc. And then lose their house opportunities as well

Sajan likes this.
  3. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Nov premium is almost triple the price @$95. Wanted to take a punt on selling the news after the announcement, hoping for same bump that Nvidia's event gave. The CPU announcement should be good, the GPU announcement is iffy, no one knows at this point.

More tangible news below. A 3.1 exaflop system is huge, 2-3 times larger than the biggest super computing wins Intel and AMD have had to date.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1831

Edit: regarding gaming GPUs, I think AMD could come up with a competitive halo card if they really wanted but they have shied away from it in the past. We know this because of the die size - last generation GPU chips were relatively small. AMD's margins on CPUs are simply better as the chiplets on the expensive nodes take up less wafer space than a big monolithic GPU die that can compete with Nvidia's latest cards. IMO, AMD is still in the GPU game to make AI/ML accelerators (like the ones used in that super computer), and do minimal adaptive design work to come up small-mid sized discrete gaming GPUs. While they remain supply constrained at TSMC, as a shareholder I'd prefer they not compete with Nvidia at the top end on gaming cards.

edit2: for comparison nvidia rtx 3080 die size is 628mm2, rtx 2080ti die size was 775mm2. AMD's best gaming card last gen RX 5700xt was 251mm2. R7 3800x cpu chiplet is only 74mm2, IO die is 125mm2 but fabbed on a cheaper node.

#11443 saitou, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    CCity Zero likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Apparently not. At least not in the entire market. The ramifications of the news is still being determined, but the pausing of trials is apparently common and this is the second time this one has paused. Financial Times was reporting that it could resume as early as next week. It could be a "this happens all the time" or "oops, we're screwed". It's why I'm always scared to buy biotech. lol.

arkoe and Sajan like this.
  5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The market has priced everything in. Everyone knows that the vaccine can be 1 or 3 years away, it's an estimate. The only news that could affect the market is if an article says that the vaccine is impossible or that the vaccine will be released ahead of schedule

saitou likes this.
  6. steveng125

steveng125 Member

yeah I held out and glad I did lol I was in a panic yesterday, wondering when the drop off would stop. It looks like it finally leveled out at $117 and I can live with that. I started trading at the time when every day was green and had huge gains so I thought I would keep winning lol..I’m staying in at least til I recoup my money back but if it ends up taking off past $120 I may stay in longer. I also have another 100 shares of Apple in my 401k at $112 that I’m not touching lol

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Anybody think this pop is a headfake? The market close was kind of "bleh".

Sajan likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The closer we get to the election and the fall the more concerned I am with another free fall.

Sajan likes this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Agreed. It "shook" the newbies just a bit. You can tell by sentiment in different forums/discord groups/stocktwits etc.
    Sooner or later Mr. Fundamental is going to come knocking for a report card...and these overvalued stocks wont be able to answer.

BIGC is down to 87 after earnings...got pumped to $162 on August 27.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

12. adoo

adoo Member

actually, from my view, the head fake was during the days just before the early Labor Day week-end

the VIX was rising, yet the SPY was rocketing up,
    normally they go the opposite direction

this anomaly is attributable to SoftBank's whale hunting (uber-size buying of CALLs for tech stocks, which has the effect of driving up mkt volatility)
    when the professionals realized this anomaly between the SPY and VIX, they bought more of the tech stocks to pump up the price even more,
    and started to dump them late last Wed before heading for the early Labor Day w/e

on Wed noon EST, AKAM was up ~ 5 pts;
    lucky for me that i checked again at 3:30 PM, saw that it was flat for the day, showing a classic doji / hangman candlestick.

after a long W/E, many pros returned to work yesterday, picking up cheap tech stocks

moral of the story, professional traders are skillful trap setters

#11452 adoo, Sep 10, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Wow. Another stock I had been looking at but never bought, RH, a $300+ stock, is up over 20% on earnings. Pretty massive move for a "high-priced" stock. The home/homebuilding trade has been strong for a while.

CCity Zero and Sajan like this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

I saw it trending up yesterday and was wondering why. Hell, I didn't even know they were public.

Market cooled off a bit after Democrats rejected the bill.

15. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Anyone looking at ACI?

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

17. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I bought ACI when it first IPOed to make a play off the pandemic and ppl spending more on groceries. That being said, I can't wait to dump it once I get back in the green. The company is controlled by a PE firm so there's limited growth potential. SFM is a much better pick imo if you're looking to bet on grocery stores.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Peloton just crossed 100 in pre market.

[​IMG]

CCity Zero and adoo like this.
  19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

PSTH.U warrants split today. Sold off the warrants as they seemed way overpriced @$7.20. The strike price is $23 while the underlying is below $22. Hope I'm not missing something, the pricing is a head scratcher. I'll buy back the warrants if they drop later.

20. adoo

adoo Member

how does a warrant split work ?