1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the end of the Daryl Morey era?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Sep 10, 2020.

1. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Its been awhile since i am back in this forum. But honestly tho, it hurts to watch the inconsistency :,) Coming back from a 3-1? Sure i still believe but i am also pretty sure Lebron will not allow that to happen

Moving forwards what should we change? MDA? Morey? Harden? Westbrook? But even so, our future quality picks are nowhere to be found :) Its frustrating. Not only that we will have to see Dallas, New Orleans, Memphis bloom their young talent only for ours to fade.

But still.... H-Town for life. <3 from Singapore

2. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Morey better go with his BS basketball theory.

Mid range shots are not bad, It's ****ing useful when you can't make the damn three!

Coach is ****ing important!

Rudyc281 and htwnbandit like this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i'd be shocked if he's ever fired. he's the best GM in the nba. its not his fault harden and tilman wanted russ.

At the end of the day, the NBA is a business. Its hard to make it into the second round of the playoffs, period. Remember the days we were looking up at the spurs and mavs and then somehow landed James Harden?

Coach is probably gone.

Small ball is the only way we could have played with this roster so they moved their chips all to the middle of the table and went ALL IN.

What do you expect with James Harden? He's a great, great player no doubt. But when facing elite perimeter defenders and double teams in the playoffs the ball is going to be taken out of his hands. there's only so much he can do.

I'm not going to **** on russ because he's doing the best he can playing at 80 percent. No, he's not fully healthy. you can see that the lift he has when going for those alley oops aren't all there. you can bash him all you want, but i respect the fact that he doesn't make excuses for his play. he knows he's injured. Kawhi leonard wouldn't even suit up at 80 percent.

its up to tilman to put his money where his mouth is. He needs to resign Tucker. If he doesn't i'm done with him. if he does that he may as well blow up this team and trade harden as well. For everyone bashing this team i can see the positives. We got more out of the sum of the parts than individual talent. We aint supposed to beat lebron james and AD especially when they are robbing us with calls. how many times do westbrook and EG get fouled going to the rim but no call? MANY! but they give those calls to AD and Bron if you touch them. It is what it is. We can't beat a superior team and reffing.

We need to add a 3 point shooting center, a really quick point guard so that james doesn't always have to initiate the offense. I think rivers is probably gone. We need to get lucky and find a player like rondo in the G league. Yes i know that's hard, but if the heat can find nunn, hero, and that other dude, we can too. Its still better to be us than the spurs. We used to look up at them and wish we could even be where we are today.

Danuel House let us down big time. We needed him and he wanted to get laid instead. he definately would have made a difference.

4. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

That's on Morey. But even if we had shooters, it's stupid to play one way with no plan B. The Rockets run absolutely no plays on offense. Ppl blame MDA for smallball but the Rockets have been experimenting w/ 6'8 centers since Joey Dorsey. You cant make basketball decisions with a advantage metric calculator

PeterKingX, JayGoogle and Caesar like this.
  5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You posted this the night after we give up 17-0 in second chance points...Did this magically happen?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shooters cost over 10 million each these days.

Safe to say it is easier to come up with Plan B under Tilman.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes, magic

HP3 likes this.
  8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rockets are one dimensional. Great teams are able to beat you in many different ways. Rockets only play one way which is easy to counter.

PeterKingX likes this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

Morey can leave. Sure hope the no midrange era is over, back to normal basketball..

PeterKingX likes this.
  10. jb86

jb86 Member

Yes less than an hour

11. jb86

jb86 Member

The coach is probably gone but we need to keep morey but we need to start shooting the J most of all.

12. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Yesterday I was on board with Morey being let go, but today I feel a little different and here's why:

While the Rockets, on the court, disappoint in frustrating ways year after year in the playoffs, about the only place where the organization excels is via roster moves. The trade deadline and/or offseason pretty much becomes the Rockets' "Super Bowl" since the team is active year after year. Is it as exciting as actually winning the whole thing? Well no obviously (but then again neither is the NFL Draft and some people dedicate more time and interest in that than the actual games).

Anyway, the current iteration means Morey has his work cut out for him, but he has proven a couple of things of the years:
    • He's willing to take risks (I'm still convinced he's a degenerate gambler)
    • He's managed to make moves that seem impossible (though Presti probably deserves at least as much credit here as well)
    • He's willing to move players when things aren't working (see: Ariza (traded after year one in his first stint with the team; Anthony last season; and, to an extent, Capela). I think he could get good value back from trading Westbrook.

Maybe it's because there's not much else to look forward to, considering the foreseeable future of the team looks murky at best -- as of the current moment. Still, I would be curious to see what moves Morey could make. He knows that with 29 other teams, there will always be opportunities for moves.

For instance, depending on what the salary cap is and how the economy may affect other owners, a move may appear out of nowhere (and yes I'm aware that Fertitta has a reputation, perhaps somewhat warranted, for being cheap).

More logically, let's say D'Antoni heads to Indiana. Perhaps he wants a player or two from the current Rockets. Who comes to mind? Eric Gordon (a minor factor is he is an Indiana native and played at IU).

Then a team like Sacramento with new management may want their own refresh, depending on how they draft. Doubtful Fox would be available, but maybe they decide to dump Bagley. Or Chicago. Or the Knicks.

The takeaway is: there's always opportunity. My biggest concern/frustration is running back with the same team/style when it hasn't worked over a shortened season and wasn't going to work over 82 games.

malakas, JoeBarelyCares and RayRay10 like this.
  13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Gordon's deal is as long as Harden's and Westbrook's and I'm not sure you could get a return that would be better than what Gordon gives you. Then again, maybe you could somehow pull Sabonis or Turner (since they have trouble playing together according to reports from Indiana) from them for Gordon and a pick.

HoustonWest likes this.
  14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

You are incorrect. The Morey wanted to keep Cp3. He has been vindicated.

malakas, YOLO and HP3 like this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Turns out, LeGM and LeCoach knows what the **** he's doing too.

He always handpicks the coaches and players that play with him and they turn out and produce for him when he needs it.

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Im 100% sure you just made this up

17. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Guys I went to check all the NBA championship teams of the past 15 years, none of them had Daryl Morey.

PeterKingX and dmenacela like this.
  18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Fire Morey

PeterKingX likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I hope so.

2 all-star seasons next to Harden in 32 opportunities (4 starters, * 8 seasons).

FAIL

PeterKingX and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Need to get rid of this FAT FCK fast!!! Made a 3 point shooting team with noone can can really shoot the 3s.

PeterKingX likes this.