1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Cobra Kai (true Karate Kid sequel!)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 16, 2018.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Cobra Kai was the only reason I had to to hold a Youtube Premium account.

The show moving to Netflix works out for me but I hope they don't get cancelled there. If they do, they won't be able to move to another streaming platform for a few years.

TMac'n and Rocket River like this.
  2. VanityHalfBlack

Damn, they went to the evil empire of netflix, lol. I got youtube red just for kai and the free ads.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Google is a lot like Microsoft in that they have so much money they will throw billions at a project the yank it if it doesn’t go according to their initial plan. ‘Oh, well, we put in the GDP of a few small countries and it didn’t work out. We tried!’

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Cobra Kai showing up on Netflix now.

5. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Great show, can't wait for season 3 as well.

I prefer Netflix also as Youtube just didn't have enough original content yet.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

---
    Miguel: Well, you could open your own dojo.
    Johnny: Look, I'm not getting into this with you, all right? I'm not even sure I'm allowed to be around kids right now.

---
    Johnny: Change that ring tone. Get some Guns N’ Roses, or something.
    Miguel: What's Guns N' Roses?
    Johnny: I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that.

Rocket River likes this.
  7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I’m still pissed about that stupid school fight brawl scene in the last episode...which I accidentally watched as the first episode of season two. I didn’t go back to watch the other episodes because it was so lame.

Rocket River likes this.
  8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I thought the brawl was awesome and no stupider than anything else in the Karate Kid canon. I did FF through some of the teen drama, but was sorry to see the season end.

9. VanityHalfBlack

It's the #1 show on netflix right now 3 days in a row, keep streaming!!! Also, Chozen is back baby!!!

TMac'n likes this.
  10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Watched 3 episodes on Saturday on Netflix. G/f and I are loving it.

CometsWin and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Through, 8 eps in season 1 .. not bad. Don't know why I've put off watching this for so long.

12. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Is this confirmed that Chozen will be back?

13. VanityHalfBlack

Watch the S03 teaser, that's definitely his voice. In Okinawa, daniel went back.

TMac'n likes this.
  14. conquistador#11

Watched it for the first time. Before I knew it, I had binged all of season one. I wonder if the makers of this show watched that episode of HIMYM when Barney tells his version of the Karate Kid from the Cobra Kai's point of view and Danny comes out looking like a complete douche.
    LaRusso did grow up to be a dbag. You definitely feel more for Johnny

My only complaint is that in lesss than a school year, these students go from not knowing how to throw a punch to ready to compete in the Kumite.
    Hey Danny Larusso, do you think you were more successful than your HS classmates? =)

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Didn't Danny Larusso win a tournament with just 6 weeks of training? And most of that was spent doing housework... and kicking waves.

As far as it being from Johnny's perspective, I do believe the writers had that in mind (hence why the show is called Cobra Kai)... but I think there was a youtube video about that before the HIMYM episode.

16. conquistador#11

The Karate Kid/ Cobra Kai gag on HIMYM goes all the way back to 2006. References to the fight and the kick that should have disqualified Danny, all the way to near the end of the show when Barney finally meets Johnny Lawrence.

Great now I'm in a Karate Kid rabbithole but I found this 30 for 30

DaDakota, VanityHalfBlack and TMac'n like this.
  17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Binge watched seasons 1 and 2 over the weekend. Really enjoyed this show. I was a bit disappointed that the 2nd season seemed to be a lot cheesier than the first. The first felt like a perfect blend between new story and the part of the 80s sentiment that I enjoyed. 2nd season kind of went overboard a bit on that, but ultimately I still enjoyed it. My wife started halfway watching with me in season 2 and couldn't stop laughing into her hand. I tried to explain that season 1 wasn't quite so cringy. I don't think she believed me.

I'm kind of glad they didn't actually try for a redemption arc with Kreese. I appreciate the depth they're giving to Johnny in this series, but Kreese still feels like he needs to be that mustache-twirling villain.

My prediction for season 3:

After some soul searching (which will probably end up with him talking to Ali who gives him a heartfelt pep-talk), Johnny ends up teaming with Daniel to run Miyagi-do and go back up against Kreese and his Cobra Kai followers. Not sure if that will be in a tournament or some other venue. Interspersed throughout will be Miguel slowly recovering and learning to walk, punch, kick again, etc. With an eventual triumphant return where he will somehow be as ass-kicky as ever and save the day, somehow. Robby will go back to his criminal past and start n'er-do-welling again. He'll come back to the light side of the force after a heart felt conversation with his dad and his mom getting back out of rehab, clean. Then they all do Miyagi-do karate together and find the balance in their messed up family dynamic.

18. VanityHalfBlack

CometsWin and TMac'n like this.
  19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  20. VanityHalfBlack

Zabka said. “There's a lot of pieces to put back together. There's a lot of healing that has to happen. There's a lot of growing that needs to happen. I've seen a lot of fan theories out there, and heard a lot of fan theories. Nice tries. It's awesome. I mean, Season Three is fireworks. And I think it's Season One and Two combined on steroids."