1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Senate Watch: Is it in play for Democrats

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 6, 2020.

?

Will Democrats win control of the Senate in 2020?

Poll closed Jun 4, 2020.
  1. Yes, they will control 51+ seats

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  2. 50-50 tie

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. No, they will fall short

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  4. I abstain, courteously

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what about Trump? ;)

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt Lieberman will make much of a difference for Collins. He might even hurt given that he became an independent over his staunch support for the Invasion of Iraq.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they are a match made in heaven.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Wow... I forgot lieberman was even alive. He is supporting collins? Is she concerned?

B-Bob and RayRay10 like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Collins' concern level extreme

6. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I saw George W. also endorsed Collins:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...lins-with-first-endorsement-of-the-2020-cycle

Bush backs Collins with first endorsement of the 2020 cycle

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

*Furrows brow*

B-Bob, RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Lady G asking for his opponent's tax returns...as one of the responses said, "Is this a bit?"

arkoe, No Worries and saitou like this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I can absolutely believe this is a real tactic by Graham. Graham has absolutely no sense of hypocrisy given what he said about Trump during the Republican Primaries in 2016.

For that matter there is no sense of hypocrisy among most of the GOP. Remember how much they criticized Obama for playing golf yet say nothing or even defend how much Trump plays golf.. I have no doubt that if Biden didn't release his tax returns you would see Trump supporters blasting him over it. When pointing out they hypocrisy they will give the rationalization that Trump earned his money in private business while Biden was in the government. .

arkoe, jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

His opponent released his tax returns, then said, now do trump...

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Based on the current polls, looks like the
    Yep, that was great...couldn't have trapped Lindsey any better. Just hoping the people of South Carolina pay attention.

13. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

but, but, but.....he's been in an audit this entire time and cant release em.....and if and when he does they will be beautiful, the most beautiful tax returns ever ;)

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So you’re saying, “What about Trump?”

mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  15. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

16. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Joy Reid, so take it with a grain of salt:

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I have a hard time believing that the Democrats have a better shot of beating Tillis in NC than Collins in ME.

No Worries, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I agree...based on polling...Collins is struggling and hasn't really been close Tillis is still within a couple of points in North Carolina and some polls have him up. Maine is also much more to the left of North Carolina. Not really sure why 538 says North Carolina will have a better chance.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You don't really need a tweet to believe that. Lindsey Graham was always in an odd spot. Before Trump, he wasn't really loved by the Conservative base. Graham took quite a few contrarian positions and tended to ally himself with McCain. Then Trump comes along and Graham had to make a choice to either become a Trump lackey or get primaried. He chose the former but the problem is that there are still lots of Conservatives that never really trusted him. You can't take a 180 overnight on a variety of positions and just expect that voters believe you.

However, Graham's move to the right coincides with suburban migration away from the Republican party. One of the big surprises of 2018 was that Joe Cunningham won the 1st district. That district was gerrymandered to be a Republican district but it took a big swing to the left in 2018 and elected a Democrat (granted some of that was due to local issues). But its a good bet that SC-01 will vote for Harrison over Graham so Graham will face declining vote share on the coast. The other part of this is that the Northwestern part of the state (the most Conservative part of South Carolina) registered a pretty strong protest vote in the primary. So the question is whether there is a significant third party vote in that region as there is a Constitution Party candidate on the ballot this year. Plus one can assume that African American turnout should be stronger this year.

Now I think Graham will still win but his win could end up being 2 or 3 points instead of the usual 15-20 point wins that he's accustomed to. He's never actually had a competitive Senate election before so this is all new to him. So the fear is totally understandable.

Nook, rocketsjudoka and RayRay10 like this.