1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Perspectives on the Pandemic: Undercover Epicenter Nurse

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, Sep 8, 2020.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't *think* this is a D&D topic; it's not political...but there should be discussion.

I'm just 15 minutes in, but it's frightening, sobering, maddening.

2. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Google is your friend.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

Had lost a family member very close to me earlier this year. This person also didn't have covid when tested prior and basically stayed home. When the emergency occurred, person was admitted to the ICU, we had conversations with the doctor and nurses about things like DNR when conditions was very bad. So the first half of the video was filling me with lot of mixed emotions and what-if.

If what that lady said was true, it's some pretty horrible things to know if a dr and nurses don't have the patient's best interest. Family are very vulnerable and they rely on Doctor's opinions more than anything. What's being insinuated is some pretty F-ed up schitt.

I was with the video half way. It's possible that some hospitals don't follow protocols or have bad protocols. But video took a pretty biased turn on hydroxychloroquine. I don't know, am stopping watching the video here.

#3 TimDuncanDonaut, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    TWS1986 likes this.
  4. basso

Supporting Member

havent gotten to that part yet.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

From what I watched, great video.

Nurses are my favorite people. They don't take **** and they get **** done. And, as the video shows, a lot of the time they know more about specifics then the doctors they work with because they live that specific role daily.

Also, if she had blonde hair and a boob job she would look just like my ex-gf. Who is also a nurse.

TWS1986 and Jontro like this.
  6. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

You people are naive.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Is it safe to say, with so much bullshit thrown around from all sides, that it's pretty clear, one should not know what to believe these days? That's really the scariest part of all of this.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I watched a bit of the video. She makes some interesting points, but misses the overall picture of what is happening to the entire hospital. She just seems to be focusing on her one floor with no understanding how a hospital actually functions from an administrative perspective. She mentions she is working as a travel RN at Elmhurst Hospital in Queens. This was quite possibly the worst hit hospital in the country.

From the discussion of using incompetent residents to the claims of all patients being listed as COVID + only for increased reimbursement indicates she is working on a bunch of half assumptions. Residents are used because there are literally no other trained medical professionals to help with these patients. Hospitals also can't simply bill for Covid for all patients as the insurance companies will deny claims/payments down the line if there is no clinical criteria for the coverage.

I stopped watching the video for now when she is discussing the inadequate PPE protocol for Covid vs Ebola. USA probably had 10 Ebola cases total in 2014. Elmhurst might get 20 Covid patients in an hour. USA was ready for Ebola since there was no mass influx of these patients. Local hospitals were never ready for Covid, that's why the PPE coverage isn't the same as Ebola. Everyone around the world was competing for the same PPE.

Other things she mentions like the why the rapid detection test isn't being used due to expense is also a mistaken conclusion. It was just impossible to obtain from March- May.

Her angle seems to be internet fame and likes. This nurse doesn't appear very bright as she makes glaring mistakes when discussing concepts that are easily understandable by actual experts in the field. I'm sure her nursing license will be revoked in the future for privacy violations.

I'm all for the jollies of crazy conspiracy theories, but this video is nonsense.

9. basso

Supporting Member

my take away is this is a damning indictment of the management of the covid crisis in NYC. Elmhurst was turned into a Covid- only hospital, which meant that anyone who was taken there, or showed up of their own accord, was treated as if they had covid, even if the tested negative. this meant negative patients were freely mixed with positive, and there was a cavalier attitude about the consequences.

and people who were in some respiratory distress, even if they were negative, were put on vents, and often never came off them; people died needlessly. this is an enormous policy failure, whether by hospital admins, di blasio, cuomo, fema, fauci, or trump.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And you are basing this belief because one person is saying it on you tube?

Have you done any research into these claims?

https://zdoggmd.com/elmhurst-hospital/

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This is hilarious. Yea man, doctors are just out to get people and don’t care. You have no idea , during covid, after covid how many times other staff in general talk crap because they don’t know the whole picture. People that don’t work in health care, know how it works, or spend time with docs always feel like it’s some big revaluation when someone comes out with a story.

ancecdotal experiences taken through the lens of one aspect (nursing) are incredibly misleading. Have phlebotomists, physicians, resp therapists. Extrapolating from this is incredibly counterintuitive for anyone.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Woah, woah. I meant no disrespect to MDs, at all. I apologize if I offended. I have friends who are doctors and have deep respect for most of the docs I know.

I’ve worked in my day job in a hospital for nearly 20 years so it’s not just anecdotal for me. I know docs from all specialties. I stick by what I said about nurses. If there are specific things you need to know about a PACU you ask a nurse first because the PACU nurses spend 40+ a week there.

Would I go to a GI nurse if my ass was bleeding? Not unless there wasn’t a doc or NP available. I respect the expertise and experience that you guys bring.

Anyway, again. I apologize for any insult. You have my respect. I know this is just some web forum and I’m some random schmuck but I hope you can take it at face value.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No I went back and re read everything honestly I read into it too much brother. Unfortunately I’ve been hearing the argument I was going on about a lot lately. I agree, the point you made about someone spending more time at a certain place is true.

R0ckets03 likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Please don't sweat it. These are hard, stressful times. And you're in it way more than 99.9% of people, bless your heart. We're good. :)

basso likes this.
  15. basso

Supporting Member

not one person. there is a wealth of information available that demonstrates the situation in NY, and NYC in particular, was very poorly managed.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But you only chose to post this one video of one persons story.

What's your point who is arguing that things in NYC where not poorly managed at 1st.

This is deflection from what else was poorly managed in the white house.

17. basso

Supporting Member

no deflection; see #9 above.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Whatevs.

That post is still points to you deflecting even if you put his name at the end.