1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

The oil price drop is more worrisome as that has closer ties to the "real" economy than the tech stocks coming back to earth. Yes oil has many issues long term, but surprising to see it drop so much for the near term - wonder if this is starting to reflect the concern about Covid in the fall or how long it will take for travel to come back...

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The drop could be attributed to China's reduced imports of oil recently.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What happened to $110? lol. If it drops below $100, I may even have to think about buying some, but I'd rather not see it drop that far.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Watch this 1 hour candle close on the ES at 3PM EST. If it's solid down we might get panic selling in the final hour.

5. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Serious question: I’m a new trader and invested 100 shares at $120 in Apple. Is it time to sell or is this thing going to recover soon...I wasn’t thinking it was going to sink like this. I was trying to make a quick buck for a downpayment on a truck.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You'll hate this response. lol :

1) Nobody has a crystal ball, and nobody knows what stocks will do short-term. The person that says "yes, it has bottomed" probably has just as good a chance at being right as the person that says "no, it hasn't bottomed". For all anyone knows, it could get back to $120 tomorrow or drop another $10.
    2) If you need money for anything short-term and your funds are tight, you probably should not "invest" in the market because you're just gambling.
    3) Next time use stops and limits on your orders that define the maximum risk you're willing to take or profits where you're "satisfied". Once they trigger, just accept it, and move on instead of second-guessing yourself. Unless you're like me and want to second-guess selling AAPL and AMZN years later. :D

Kim and Cokebabies like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

On the surface, at least, this isn't good news :

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

What do you mean lol......you mean the 110 that just happened again a few mins ago?

1. why are you putting a down payment into a car? Does it help lower your interest rate? what benefit do you get from putting cash down on a depreciating asset?
    2. if you needed money now, why did you gamble it into a stock that's been going up "just because...."?

9. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I wanted to lower my payments from $800 to $500 on a new truck. I was in the middle of refinancing my house so I couldn’t make a big purchase so I thought I should try and invest my money for the time being. I haven’t touched this money for a few years so i live life without needing it. Now I really want a truck and didn’t expect to lose this much money I was planning on dropping a downpayment on a vehicle.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Let me ask you this, what difference does it make if your payment is 500 or 800? Locking up 12000$ into a truck doesn't seem like the best idea to me.

if someone asked me if i would rather 12,000 in the bank plus a 800$ truck payment OR
    -12,000 in the bank plus a 500 dollar payment...i am keeping the 12 in my bank.

putting money into stocks is extremely risk, regardless of company. the risk is little lower when time is on your side...meaning u have to hopefully recover it.

But to calm your fears, apple might bounce up to your break even price. you can set a sell limit for 120 and pray it hits it in the next few days. consider it a lesson learned.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. steveng125

steveng125 Member

yeah I was making some good money before and after the split. Then, I lost all my profits from that and now dipped into the original amount of money I put in. For the truck payment I wanted it lower to fit in a travel trailer payment cuz I was going on o buy some land to travel too. I might pull out tomorrow I can handle 1k loss but it hurts lol

Sajan likes this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

It's probably best to determine max risk and then go from there. I personally don't see tomorrow being great but I would also invest in Apple long-term and not like this.

For example, it was a lot easier to say it's going up before split/right after, but now that it's happened it can make this even more of a gamble for short term. I'm just glad your post didn't state "I lost 10k+ in options this afternoon or I need apple at $x by Friday".

Anyway - I'm definitely not saying above as financial advice, I mean for all I know, it goes to $95 and then jumps to $130 on surprise announcement on sooner than expected iphone at next week's event (iirc it's next week and early report is looking like October for the phone news - so current event is just looking like ipad/watch).

Edit - didn't refresh to see other reply while I was away. Hopefully you have some good luck. Regardless, I think risk management/trading plan is probably the best way to minimize the gamble on short term trading, but I'm just a retail trader so a crystal ball would be nice

#11432 CCity Zero, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Sajan likes this.
  13. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Might also be a MacBook announcement for their new chipset on their own silicon.

CCity Zero likes this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

More panic sell tomorrow?

15. adoo

adoo Member

NBA is in the midst of an entertaining/competitive playoff in the bubble, and the NFL season kicks off tomorrow

MLB is < 30 days away from post season play under a new playoff format

ESPN/TNT/FOX and their counterparts overseas use AKAM's technology to broadcast / stream sporting events
    [​IMG]

RSI ~ 44, but hooking up, the MACD is at its nadir, a green candlestick after 3 consecutive days of violent sell off.

i need to see another day of green candlestick tomorrow---confirming the hint of a trend reversal---before making another play on it.

#11435 adoo, Sep 9, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    saitou likes this.
  16. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

BRK taking part in SNOW ipo. Interesting given Buffett's previous aversion to IPOs.

17. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Damn should have bought aapl

18. adoo

adoo Member

if i don't have a position in MSFT and want to get in, i'd wait for another green candlestick tomorrow b4 making a play

Pentagon says it will stick with Microsoft for $10 billion JEDI cloud contract

[​IMG]

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Bought a call for 9 Oct, $95 strike. Will add more if premiums go down.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think I might do something similar or at least watch, I know AMD is killing cpu market atm, but Nvidia's 30xx gpu is looking pretty impressive. So I might buy something and move it early depending on how it's looking, but I think your date/price is a nice spot to get to the build up and probably planned leaks on specs