1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Enjoy Watching Role-players More Than Superstars

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ghettocheeze, Sep 5, 2020.

1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Harden and Westbrook are tremendous and their greatness is unquestionable, but since the start of the bubble I have found myself more focused on the rest of team, and honestly I enjoy watching them more than watching our superstars.

For example, last night watching Tucker manhandle and shut down AD was absolutely the most enjoyable thing for me more so than even Harden dropping 34 on an ultra efficient scoring night.

Too often, I catch myself with eyes glued to a role-player more than our superstars. I’m looking at Tucker, Gordon, Covington, etc. If they are locked in and things are going their way, then I know the Rockets are going to win regardless of what Harden and Westbrook are doing.

I find tremendous joy on nights when Gordon and Rivers are driving by defenders for layups and dunks, or when Covington is attacking the passing lane and meeting guys at the rim, or when Green is running the offense to perfection as the point-center. In these moments; I giggle, I laugh, and I feel real excitement more so than watching Harden drop 50 on some defense.

I ask myself, why? And the answer is pretty simple. This is the first time I’ve seen the Rockets in the Harden-era play like a real team because of small-ball. The success of this team depends more on the 3 guys on the floor with Harden and Westbrook than the superstars themselves. This season is a referendum on small-ball and I want to see it succeed so I find myself more focused on the role-players because they are the key to winning.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

same here

D-rock likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I find myself rooting for the Rockets with the most sand in their pants.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I catch your drift.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

joshua smith fo sammiches?

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The guy who has impressed me the most ... and hopefully he’s not hurt .. is House .

his defensive effort throughout the entire playoffs has been second to none .. and he’s made a decent amount of 3’s / he can even drive and dish a bit.

He’s playing starter quality minutes off the bench .. And along with rivers and green our bench is legit deadly . If we can just get Ben up to par that would be fantastic . As it is , I can’t complain about a full 8 man rotation . And I think Ben might continue to get another chance here or there . Especially if fouls or something else forces us to play more guys .

but I think we are in the best outcome right now for MDA . Our starting lineup is starting to gel . We’ve got 3/4 guys on the bench that could go for 15-20 any night and it would not be a surprise . 3 of them are good on D . But imo , house has just been an animal

D-rock, FrontRunner and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So what’s your safe word?

D-rock likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think this is because you know what you're going to get with your superstars, whereas with role players, they either go off or do really poorly.

With Harden, you know you're going to get drives, stepback 3s and a ton of points. With Westbrook, hustle, energy and tenacity.

I'm sure Lakers fans have the exact same thoughts you do, OP. LeBron and AD are always going to be good. I bet most Lakers fans were salty about Rondo playing so many minutes in an important game after being out so long or about Kuzma getting constantly killed on defense while contributing nothing on offense.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good call on Tucker. We've been watching the guy play defense like forever, and I don't know that I've seen him play better defense than he did down the stretch against Davis. Tuck was a man possessed. After LeBron gave up and sat down, Davis followed soon after and sat next to him. James wouldn't look at AD. He just sat staring at nothing, looking furious. Davis appeared shell shocked. Like he had just been through a battle at the front during WWI. Crazy, just crazy. PJ did a number on him. Played well against James, too, but was a madman against AD.

10. HardenVolumeOne

covington is quickly becoming my favorite rocket. He is like Trevor ariza and Shane battier on steriods

D-rock likes this.
  11. Caprah

Caprah Member

Covington is way better then trevor

D-rock likes this.
  12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Covington is the 3rd headed monster. EGo is the tail of the 3 head monster. I love seeing House get D'Antoni throw a tantrum.

D-rock likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Harden looks fat.

francis 4 prez, D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  14. Sen89

Sen89 Member

House became more of a positive after we got Covington.

His motor > the other role guys on this team, in most situations anyways...but he's not always as disciplined in terms of his assignments (compared to Cov, PJ, EG etc), so when he's allowed to play freely without too much given responsibility (not "start at 3 and guard the other team's best wing") and make freelance plays, he starts to become more of a catalyst, rather than a replacement level player.

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This might be why CF seemed more chill in those scrub half Yao / half Mac seasons that ended up absolutely nowhere.

Less entitled loud mouthed bandwagon hos.

More people who appreciated a game of hustle and motor, despite the dead end scrubbiness.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Proverb.

To each one his/her own.