1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kawhi Leonard is a stud - what's his ceiling?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swishh, May 15, 2014.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I will admit, I never thought he would be this good. I saw a better Bruce Bowen in him, great 3d player. I thought his handles were not good enough to ever become the main go to guy. I was also in the camp that Parsons had more upside.

I do not think I have been this wrong on any player.

2. likestohypeguy

Haha I had no idea either but what a great bump, doesn't have the skills to be more than potentially 3rd or 4th option on championship team, ariza, parsons.

The ceiling was the roof!

MettaWorldPete and daywalker02 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha I am glad I thought of Parsons as a shorter Troy Murphy which is prolly too good for him.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You guys don't have to feel bad. Parsons could have been as good as Kawhi if he didn't sell his soul to Mark Cuban. :D

saleem and Clips/Roxfan like this.
  5. SunsRocketsfan

I knew he was good but not this good. I always thought he was the 2nd piece to a championship team (ie Scottie Pippen) I never knew he could be the Jordan. I followed him at Sdsu and saw him in person a few times and became a fan so I was extremely diasapointed when he was available and we picked marcus morris instead with the 14th pick.

Hakeemtheking and saleem like this.
  6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Kawhi has been putting up banana numbers his last 3 playoff runs. Conf Finals pre Zaza injury, ring, potential ring.

If he rings again he's gonna climb up a lot.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Marcus Morris has turned into a decent NBA player, above average career production for his draft slot, so it wasn't a terrible pick on its own. But, yeah, big miss with Kawhi ...

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who did we get for Mook again....bad memory.

Easy likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When was Ariza the 3rd option....I know the Rockets forced him to be the No 1 option hahaha them handles.

likestohypeguy likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

No midrange! Midrange bad! Shoot midrange, sit on bench! Midrange bad!

"Stupid" Kawhi, CP3, KD...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fork, he also mastered the Carmelo shot.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If Morey set the 6'8 height goal sooner, he wouldn't have gotten rid of him.

Morey must have kicked himself for picking Morris over Leonard. Then kicked himself the second time for trading Morris for a 2nd round pick.

Morey: Why didn't I realize the importance of 6'8 PF earlier!!!!

:(

13. jowman

jowman Member

Lol the first page of this thread is funny. People regretted picking Marcus Morris at the time but now he ended up better than most of the guys being pined for (Reggie Jackson lol).

Also people having to defend themselves when picking Leonard over parsons.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I would think his floor is two finals MVPs/ championships.

15. Outlier

Outlier Member

Sorry, not done with this thread yet.

I don't think Reeko has eaten any crow yet. Comparing Kawhi to Harrison Barnes and Mario ****ing Chalmers. Wow. Goes on to act like a diva when people say they would take Kawhi over Harden.

You ain't running away with your idiotic takes.

16. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Kawhi >>> Harden. I don’t care what you do in the regular season, but if you can’t do anything in the post season, what really is your value?

I truly believe Harden needs to be the Robin to someone’s Batman. Harden doesn’t even want the ball in crucial moments in the playoffs. PG had to join Kawhi, looks like Harden has to join someone too?

Harden should have never left OKC. Durant/Harden/Westbrook should have all stayed together somehow.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

There is no sane logical way to argue anything other than Kawhi>Harden

What I do find interesting though is how any of this talk would be bubbling to the surface THIS post season.

Their numbers, production, advanced numbers are all nearly identical. In reality Harden is actually leading in most categories, but all pretty damn close. I don’t believe there has been a year where this has been the case.

https://stats.nba.com/vs/advanced/#!?PlayerID=201935&VsPlayerID=202695

https://stats.nba.com/vs/#!?PlayerID=201935&VsPlayerID=202695

Kawhi also clearly has the superior team and running mate.
    KL : +2.2 WAR
    PG : +1.6 WAR

JH : +2.8 WAR <—— Tied with AD for playoff lead.
    RW : 0.0 WAR

GotGame15, HP3 and ElPigto like this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Harden is a great great player. The difference between him and Kawhi is that Kawhi does not shy away from the moment and doesn't get easily discouraged when calls aren't going his way.

Kawhi has also mixed up his game and given himself plenty more options to not become as predictable on the offensive end. Harden, for as good as scorer as he is, should have never ever stopped working on that mid-range game. I remember previous to the 2016 season how he use to go to the step back in the mid-range area. Morey should really be upset with himself if he was part of the reason Harden went away from having that in his game.

If Harden could win one championship, that would make a huge difference. I was hoping this was the year and I'm still confident we can win the Lakers series, but there have been a few times in the playoffs this year that Harden has shied away from the moment and that's always concerning. I'm not asking him to be perfect in the clutch, after all, all the greats have had their bad games, but I just wish he wanted it more and that he would not stop from imposing his will on a game.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]

Outlier likes this.
  20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

A coach that runs plays? Whuh?