1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trevor Ariza accused of child abuse

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

So as a person of color I would say that getting smacked by adults is pretty..uh..normal. I know for a fact that *I* was physically disciplined growing up, and I'm sure many of you were too. I'll wait til more details come out before making any judgement on Trevor. As has been stated already in the thread, he seems like an awesome dad and TMZ can **** itself.

2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Elementary ? Hell we still got pops in high school in the late 80's .

tochiee22 likes this.
  3. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

can you say it made you into a serial killer , or made you rebellious or anything like that? Doubt it. Ass whoopins do something to you.
    Bet your room is gonna be clean after you get a belt to that a$s lol

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

My parents divorced when I was 2 or 3. In their separate-from-each-other parenting skillz:

(Texas) Mom used stepdad's belt ("go put on a pair of shorts"). School: go to the principal's office, get you some corporal punishment.

(Iowa) Dad never hit me, didn't need to. He could curdle piss with a glance. School: each check mark on the blackboard next to your name equaled 5 extra minutes you had to stay after class. No paddle.

I was more scared of my dad, though. Mom with the stepdad belt? Meh. Dad's look? Oh s***. And Dad saying, "If I ever find out you've been doing drugs I'll break every bone in your body." Well, despite not being the violent parent, that was enough for me.

Rudyc281, Little Bit, malakas and 2 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Intimidation mang.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Hard to imagine Trevor doing this.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm pretty lax with my kids and they are really great kids. However, they have said many times that they are more scared of me than my wife. I haven't spanked them since they were toddlers and have never done it in anger. Quick slap on the butt when they did something that was unacceptable. I've probably spanked them less than 10 times combined in their whole lives. But for whatever reason, they know that there is a line that they should never cross.

davidio840, ROXTXIA and Richie_Rich like this.
  8. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

Interesting, I've ran into him at a clinic when he brought his son for a check up. Super down to earth. I'd be surprised.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

we’ll see what happens

what my parents were doing to me back in the day is probably a criminal charge these days

Rudyc281 and malakas like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

same.

Rudyc281 and malakas like this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

He is probably guilty.

And by guilty I mean he probably spanked his son a couple of times which when you are in a hard fought custody battle can be great ammunition but is hardly a crime.

His kid is already 12 so he can give his own witness statement and also have a say in this custody battle.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A lot of odd comments in here. One could never know a person well from basketball or seeing then interact with the public. What a parent can become when alone can be very different from what anybody sees. Can't have an opinion on this with the info we have. Wishing the best for his kid.

Rudyc281 and KingCheetah like this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Respect.

Rudyc281 and hajkov like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One of my first "jobs" was an internship at a non-profit that dealt with mild cases of "child abuse". Parents were ordered to take extra education alongside their children and learn about alternatives to "violence".

You'd see it... Otherwise good parents that didn't really "get it", and still couldn't grasp the conceppt, despite the education, because it was rooted in their family history/culture.

"I cant spank my kid?"

Lulz.

I don't know what's going on here with Ariza though. Just saying.

Roomba likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Adrian Peterson's son's bleeding scrotum would like you to know the tip of a switch accelerates to nearly the speed of sound - like a whip.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ariza and the mother of his child, Lana Allen, have been locked in a custody battle for a while.

17. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

The reason he signed with Houston the first time was to be near his kids. I think the allegations are false

18. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The dude who gave up a couplr mil to see his kid? hard to buy

19. payaso

payaso Member

Physical punishment accomplishes nothing for parents of intelligent children... all it teaches a kid is that someone bigger than you can do WTF they want to you and you eat s*** and act like you're sorry for whatever they say you did. It sets no natural consequences to misbehavior, and does nothing to explain why a certain behavior is wrong. It's just a vehicle for a parent to offload whatever suppressed irritation they're holding or (in my case as a kid) barely concealed rage, on a small person too powerless and intimidated to do anything about it.
    If you talk to your kids (as opposed to talking down to your kids) from a young age, and explain parental expectations of behavior and how natural consequences result from missing the mark, and then mix in some NON-corporal punishment (favorite toy goes away for a while or game console goes on lockdown), then your kids learn the difference between right and wrong... not the difference between power and weakness.
    Don't know if Trev has any younger kids but I hope he learns something from this... probably too late for the 12 year-old, he'll be likely to repeat the same behavior unless someone special checks him.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

disagree, some kids need their ass whooped...taking away the Nintendo and putting them in timeout isn’t enough

plenty of people got whooped as kids and learned the difference between right and wrong...they turned out fine

tochiee22 likes this.