1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

I hope the OKC series changes the Harden defense narrative.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Roomba, Sep 2, 2020.

?

Can James Harden play defense???

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yup

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Indubitably

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. OKC! OKC! OKC!

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. **** off roomba ye wee cunt

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

James Harden has been consistently great on defense for the entire OKC series, in terms of both numbers and the eye test. Yes, I get that people have been praising his post defense more recently, but we've seen him play excellent defense on the perimeter as well.

I don't like the fact that I care what people outside of Rockets fans think about our superstar, but I do. And the fact that he closed the game/series out with a block and a ninja dodge makes my heart just a little bit warmer.

For all the struggles he had offensively this series (and don't forget, he's had awesome offensive games too) I've never once had to worry about James Harden on the defensive end.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

It won't. Haters gonna hate. Good thing is his defense will save him in the clutch moments more if he continues to do that. As he continues to make the clutch defensive plays like the block tonight and even last year he made a clutch steal from Gobert in the Utah series... what that will lead to is Harden eventually showing up clutch on the offensive side. That's how basketball works. Defense first then offense.

Roomba likes this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

New narrative: James Harden doesn't play offense.

D-rock, Roomba and francis 4 prez like this.
  4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

as stupid as people are, i can see one play shifting the narrative instead of the years of evidence that it should have already shifted.

5. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

What makes me mad is that this narrative was in part pushed by so-called Rockets fans in the first place. 2015-16 was a tough year and Harden had some defensive lowlights...but actually wasn't one of the worst players on that end of the floor. Crazy to think how one dumbass video has stuck with him for so long.

Also, I agree with you totally on his clutch defense. Offense comes and goes but if the effort is there defensively we'll always be in a good position to win any game. I'm not worried about James f*cking Harden finding a way to score.

D-rock likes this.
  6. abaker28

abaker28 Member

To be fair, for the past year now people and the media only bring up his poor defence ias a thing of the past and that he now plays defence well.

If people stopped talking about his poor defence from years past, it wouldn't be a thing any more.

Its the equivalent of saying "you used to piss your pants" when you were 1yr old and in nappies. But now you're 25 years old and haven't done that in 24yrs.