1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McLemore needs to see the floor, he has not been that bad [evidence]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Sep 2, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Now where are all you nitwits trying to justify our coach's ineptitude?! He always goes back to 7-8 man rotations and Ben is the newest member, not the best defender perhaps, so he gets the shaft. But can manage just fine and is at least tons better than Rivers and Gordon right now at shooting.

I'll take slightly worse defense - Gordon and Rivers have been far from great as shown on that chart and what my eye test is telling me - for a few minutes at least over a guy who cannot hit anything and stubbornly keeps taking threes from way too far out and a guy who's just not contributing anything in Rivers.

Now take into account if McLemore gets a chance - highly unlikely given MDA's stubborn nature - and he's off, it might simply be a case of not being in rhythm due to not playing and how the coach has made him lose confidence and trust. It's obvious MDA doesn't trust the guy, which is enough for me not to trust MDA anymore though I already had very little faith left in his adaptability skills, even if we win this game.

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  2. BreakYoSelfFool

McLemore definitely should have played more last game. End of game 12 seconds left and down, the best shooters should have been on the floor.

3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Why would he see more minutes?

He hits too many of this 3s lately to fit our philosophy.

Mike can't trust him to continue throwing up brick after brick like he can with the rest of the squad.

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I agree. We need Harden to have fresh legs in the 4th

5. Moahst

Moahst Member

He can play spot minutes as a shooter, and should, but all three OKC point guards target McLemore when he's on the floor. And it works.

harold bingo likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I'd start him and throw off EVERYONE!

Flash 6th man. Benny Mac played well as a starter earlier in the season.

Need a surprise factor and this would definitely be it

BUUUUUTTT

MDA will roll out the same starting 5. He prefers those "in game adjustments" to challenge his coaching ability.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. Mattician

Mattician Member

He needs to take some of Gordon's minutes, if not all. But that won't happen.

8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

If it works why does Houston have a 100.6 defensive rating with him on the court?

The thing is they haven’t hunted him, not as much as you would think they would. Not as much as James Harden would. My tweet is linked in the op, I’ve expanded that thread with videos of every single defensive play McLemore was involved with in games 3, 5 and 6. It’s really not that bad. If it were, OKC would be scoring a lot more when he is in.

That could change, we could see OKC go into mismatch hunting mode in game 7, but Chris Paul is averaging 7.5 points in the 1st half of games so far and exploding late. He is likely conserving some energy. McLemore might be able to get away with more minutes. And all of it is for nothing if MDA and Harden/Russ can’t get him more shots. But I think it’s a bad coaching decision not to have had him out more often so far

snowconeman22 likes this.