1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. raining threes

They've never had a great QB since Blanda.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its awesome to have a franchise QB in this city again. He handles himself like a seasoned vet, makes players around him better and seems to be of the highest moral fiber.

So curious to watch certain types of people continue to question his leadership and find reasons to not like the guy. Will he ever be Tom Brady? Probably not, but he's definitely a good enough QB to win a Super Bowl with. Thats my QB!!

red5rocket and Mr.Scarface like this.
  4. 3Rings

3Rings Contributing Member

LMAO. Technically, Blanda never played for the Texans. You really are reaching if you need to pull an AFL QB from the 1960s as your best QB.

Fulgore likes this.
  5. raining threes

I'm not reaching

The city of Houston hasn't had a rich QB history. Really a bunch of choking QB's is what they've had.

6. raining threes

This is debatable.

Time will tell

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He was responding to Houston has never had a great QB.

raining threes likes this.
  8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hearing this is like a punch in the stomach. Because I know with Bill "the opposing team" O'Brien his chances are slim.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Poor Deshaun, Good luck with winning the chip with King Billy Bob as GM, HC, & OC.

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I didn’t see Bill missing reads and holding on to the ball too long last year. He needs to overcome his own weaknesses before you blame a coach.

Another funny thing; Bill has given him a top tier offensive line and skill players at the WR and RB positions. He didn’t overpay for Clowney or a WR who’s best days are two seasons behind him, so that he can pay the qb, the line and key long term players.

I get tired of the hate for the sake of hate. I’m sorry everyone’s favorite fashionista was traded away. Give me a balanced offense over a qb waiting too long for Hopkins to get open and missing the wide open fly route.

rusHour, raining threes and csj like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So Bill OBrien is a good coach, who always puts his team in a position to win?

We really going to go down these strange rabbit holes in order to bring levity to the QB position for this team?

JFC.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

BoB defenders will pull sht out of their asses to defend this mediocre coach. If u need examples go read the hopkins thread one.

coachbadlee and Fulgore like this.
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Let’s see if the injury prone WR & RB stay healthy. Fuller is brittle Cobb & Cooks were 4th options last year on their respective teams. David Johnson was a backup and is possibly washed. The man has had damn near a decade as HC , OC & now he’s the GM too and he hasn’t gotten to the AFC Championship game much less winning the Super Bowl. So spare me the “ Hate for the sake of hate “ crap. He got his head handed to him by Andy Reid last year in embarrassing fashion. I think he’s done all he could do here and there needs to be a change.

coachbadlee likes this.
  14. studogg

Im just pointing out that Deshaun struggled last season. He had 1 great game. Several solid games and a few bombs. He contributed greatly to the sack problem and frequently held on to the ball too long while missing open reads. in his young career he’s been pretty mediocre in the playoffs. So before we go equating the man with a super bowl, sure would like to see some more elevation in his game.

Unfortunately- Bill and team screwed the pooch on operating a team with a talented qb on a rookie scale contract. That is on Bill as winning is hard enough. I have no clue why he has overpaid his center, linebackers and water boys.

That said, I don’t have a problem with the concept of loading the offense with speed on the outside, and safety valves underneath with great hands. I firmly believe it will lead to a more prolific offense this year.

15. studogg

I hate saying this as a Houston fan, but the change you are looking for won’t come until someone else owns the team. I’m not going to go tit for tat as my viewpoint isn’t far removed from yours, I am just more down on ownership than Bill.

Personally, I identify with Bill (and so I probably give him more of a pass) as a do it your way kind of guy. I’m willing to give him the season to prove his vision and happen to see his concept as one of the more valid paths considering they blew it when fielding a team while Deshaun was cheap.

I also want nothing to do with the next qb contract in the nfl. The mahomes deal makes life suck for the next team in line. I’d already be discussing moving Deshaun.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I agree with your Ownership viewpoint 100%

raining threes likes this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We move on from Deshaun, we will b stuck in mediocre hell forever. Unless we traded him for picks and then build a great team from it which requires relying on BoB gm talent.

Basically u right we are fked. But i rather at least have some hope watching Watson play than rely on BoB to build a team.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just to be sure, you called Watson mediocre or something like that in the playoffs and you said O'Brien gave him a top tier offensive line?
    Just one video sums up the whole season.

King1 likes this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dont forget this one.

King1 likes this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Reading your comment suggests that Bill O'Brien runs a lock tight offense that has no flaws and if Deshaun Watson was "better" it would be unstoppable? Some hyperbole on my part, but you get the gist.

I could spend a bunch of time discussing the Yankee concept the man likes so much, and how flawed it is in todays NFL - when you have to wait for 2 seconds or more for receivers to make breaks you get alot of QB scrambling for dear life. We can bring up all the QB grids and heat charts from Next Gen stats, but to some guys it wont really matter. Bill OBrien is the best coach in the NFL. Okay!

I could discuss the fact that they took one of the best outside receivers in the game and turned him into a slot guy because he's "slow" and then dumped him for scraps in order to get faster??

There is much that is wrong with the Bill OBrien offense, would you rather go back to the 10 QBs before Watson showed up? I mean logically speaking it would seem that NOBODY can run his system, might be time to modify that attack; you know; after 7 years and all DC's in the league MIGHT start to notice your trends.

I get it, some dont like Deshaun, he has warts and everyone is on the Mahomes/LJ hype trains which is cool, those guys are great too and in infinitely better situations that Deshaun is in, but all I have to do is look at the W/L record prior to Deshaun Watson showing up and after. Its pretty simple. I could even say this team wins in spite of O'Brien and all his mistakes.

Deshaun Watson is the best QB this city has had since Warren Moon - and there is no hyperbole in that. Some fans expect more from players without even taking the type to examine the system. You should delve into it a bit more and listen to what other football men say about the route combinations and timing of this offense.

Me - Im actually pleasantly surprised by OBriens GM'ing .. I kinda wish he would just devote all his time to that and go find a better coach than himself.