1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone here own a Tesla Model X?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RKREBORN, Aug 29, 2020.

1. tharges

tharges Member

I heard the Tesla’s in general are very tough on wheels and rocker arms because of the battery weight. Like this is a common replacement and often, just curious if true.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Pretty much this along with great performance. Tesla ends up on the top of JD Power lists for loyalty, but at the bottom for initial quality. Kind of bizarre, but it's not that uncommon in the car industry. lol.

This is from last November, so I don't know if it's still true :
    https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-owners-dissatisfied-with-wait-for-services-2019-11

This may be helpful. I generally trust the site for new car news, but not sure about the data they're showing on this page (I honestly don't know) :
    https://www.motor1.com/reviews/406938/tesla-maintenance-cost/

KingCheetah likes this.
  3. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Simple answer: it's very expensive.

Not a lot of people can afford $100K+ cars. I think even when you're looking at used ones you're still likely to pay in the $60ks on the lower end.

Model 3s can be had for as low as $35Kish.

I have a Model 3 -- wish I could afford the X but not this year.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Those who own one...do you park in your garages or in the driveway? Do you need a garage to be a specific height just for the rear doors to open?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Good overview of the initial issues people are complaining about.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

just joshing about that butt ugly comment

7. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

You don’t, but adults in the back better be gymnasts if they wish to get out under those falcon wing doors when it’s parked in a standard sized garage.

I wouldn’t park it outside. The car malfunctions if you even as much as look at it the wrong way. It might catch a cold if parked outside.

Don’t buy it if you live somewhere where it rains a lot. Tesla had the galls to tell us the car doesn’t like water when we took it in to get looked at after driver side window that won’t close in pouring rain after leaving a toll booth — fun.

In all seriousness, biggest problem area will probably be tires and suspension. Ours makes unsettling creaking noises like an abandoned ship, and the tires are constantly acting up (and they cannot be patched if you get a nail).

Net-net, you love it despite the gremlins. But there are a ton, to the point of being comical. It’s like putting up with a family pet.

On the plus side, the way it can accelerate when already at highway speeds will feel like it defies physics if you’re coming over from an ICE. The way it goes from 60-80, especially for such a heavy car, will feel like alien technology until you get used to it.

And get the six seater if you’ll be hauling people in the third row. But be warned that uninstalling car seats in the third row is a totally maddening experience.

ferrari77 likes this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My father in law has one. I drove it once. Got it to 60 down one row of an empty abandoned Walmart parking lot. Was awesome.

9. KingCheetah

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Great ride. God I miss that and The Ultra Twister. Lightning always seemed to be down when I went though.

KingCheetah likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

Tesla Model Y Owners Find Cooling System Cobbled Together With Home Depot-Grade Fake Wood

The world's most valuable automaker, ladies and gentlemen.

It all started with a forum post featuring a photo of a Model Y's frunk plastics removed. The original poster of the thread had reportedly spent more than ten hours disassembling their Model Y to correct poor panel fitment when they came across a large chunk of metal secured with green tape and a small strap.

"Someone made a run to Home Depot to make Q2 numbers," jested the thread's original poster.

[​IMG]

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/36274...bled-together-with-home-depot-grade-fake-wood