1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop politicizing these shootings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Aug 26, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Why not? Numbers? If you gonna call something explain why it's dumb or keep everything to yourself. TIA

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

See post #16

3. Buck Turgidson

Comparing any American city to a 3rd world country is really ****ing ignorant.

You should maybe get out and travel some.

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Correlation does not always reflect causation. I would say that more accurately, people with disadvantaged backgrounds commit more crime. Blacks are more likely to come from disadvantaged backgrounds. That is the problem that needs to be fixed, as opposed to rehabilitating or profiling Blacks.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LE do a very difficult and dangerous job. It's compounded by attitudes that they are at war and are warriors and suspects are the enemy. It's also compounded by poor training. All of those factors are going to lead to shootings. Shootings will lead to more protests and that will lead to more destruction. Ultimately making LEO job more dangerous.

I agree with reforms that will take out the need for LE to respond to things like mental health issues and I also agree much better training is needed. The one big reform I think is needed is to remove the double standard in the justice system. LEO get preferential treatment by prosecutors and that is one reason why it is hard just them charged, even harder to get them indicted and nearly impossible to get a conviction. Not giving them preferential treatment would also be prosecuting LE that cover for other LE. Any LEO that knows that another had committed a crime should be charged with obstruction of justice.

I think if there is an expectation that LEO who do wrong will face justice I think will go along way to calm things down.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Did you see Chicago's father's day weekend? Keep in mind im only referencing violence which really you dont see much violence in other countries. You have the central american gangs and thats not third world

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Thats not the job of the police. They have to deal with what is. Keep in my mind the only point is they encounter blacks at a higher rate

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OK, I am seeing your racist response as instructed. . . .

This is racist because: Blacks are individuals. Just because "Blacks are overwhelmingly involved in crime" does not mean that a random Black man--say James Harden--deserves to be murdered. You get that?

Blacks do not deserve to be murdered because they are Black.
    Are you getting this?

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If everyone agreed that black people should be treated equally by police and not murdered in plain site for next to nothing then it wouldn’t be political.

What makes this political is this defensive posture that then leads to finger pointing on the other side. If everyone cannot agree that something that is evil is evil, then it’s gonna be political.

Sorry OP. If you want this to be solved that defensiveness needs to be broken down to where everyone can look at something bad and not feel like this is something I need to defend for personal purposes.

10. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it’s a lot more complicated than that. You get groups of people together and they act differently than they would alone. What that means is that it only takes a few people acting with intention to draw in others, who don’t act so much as react and follow. It doesn’t absolve them of their actions, but the conscious intention to be violent isn’t there.

This dynamic is further influenced by the fact that the current protestors feel they are subject to the rules while the police or not. And they have a point - we have not applied the same standards to law enforcement that we have ordinary citizens (or even our military). So when people feel the rules are weighed against them, they are less likely to respect those rules.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Good point but I think that still instigators lead those people who otherwise would not destroy property.

But I agree that people are so upset that it does not take much to set them off.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can you give some figures to back up your claims, how many killings did this 3rd world country you claim chicago is worse than have?

Will hang up and listen.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

These lil snowflakes with guns are gonna need a hard spanking from the adults pretty soon. . . .

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Chicago = Guyana

EDIT: so pgabs is kind of correct...just not in the way he wanted to be. Should have used New Orleans as an example...

#34 Rashmon, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Putting aside the fact that everyone takes for granted "Third World" is an insult:
    You'll notice that Cambodia has a rate of 1.4 and Honduras has a rate of 68.4.
    So comparing to the Third World is meaningless, except as a racially tinged slur.

Newlin and jiggyfly like this.
  16. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, but you left out one of the biggest contributors. We need people to stop getting into this situations (outstanding warrants, on drugs, etc...all of these are involved in almost every one of these shootings), and when they do, to stop resisting arrest. Absolutely two sides to this issue, and one could EASILY argue the previous is the biggest contributor, yet its the one never addressed. Even with current training, laws, etc. pretty much every one of these shootings I'm aware of wouldn't have happened had the above occurred. Everyone is focused on just one side of this...and it's not the part that's the biggest contributor.

FWIW, I'm not on that latter side. Reducing these killings should be the goal. I just wish people would recognize, and discuss, all of the reasons they happen.

Had Blake not had an outstanding warrant, and not resisted arrest, would this have happened? No, it wouldn't have. I'm not saying he deserved it at all. But I think my statement stands. And even with changes in training, laws, etc. it will STILL keep happening if these other things keep occurring. When someone resists arrest, or if through defunding it isn't police that go there but some other unit, likely unarmed...other people are going to die, ones who didn't do anything wrong, but just happened to be there when someone let go found them at the wrong time.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What a load of barf mixed with feces.
    Hey Dude, that's what terrorists say. "If he wasn't an American imperialist racist warmonger, we wouldn't have to waste our time killing him."
    You're blaming the victim.

#37 sirbaihu, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

There have been times when the RATE of shooting of whites was higher, as well. Which gets completely lost in this discussion. Nobody seems to care about police shooting whites. Even when that's not the case, it is often true that blacks get into the situations where this happens more often. Beyond that, though, is the problem really police killing blacks, and blacks only? Or is the problem unnecessary? killings across the board. If they latter, why is that never discussed? (because it dilutes the political message is the likely answer).

There ARE many situations where blacks are treated unfairly. Shootings like these just doesn't tend to be one of them.

19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Perfect example of what I was saying. Thank you for agreeing with me.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OK, BigDog. Let's go into the world of your mind!

You think it's partly the victim's fault, because of previous crimes. So he deserves to get shot, a little bit, because of which crime again?

And of course you deserve to be shot for resisting arrest, a little bit. You say.

And "we need to stop this" by . . . what you were endorsing again? Nothing.

You just want to "reduce" the killings? Not stop them?

You say "my statement stands" LOL What freaking statement? You didn't make a statement.