1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So my mom listens to Facebook idiots, any advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Aug 24, 2020.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Picture yourself getting older and your child starts to follow a sycophantic leader like Trump in the year 2054. But you’re still cool and listen to awesome music and don’t spit on immigrants nor hate gay folks.

it’s a tough life

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Tell her to come on CF and listen to CF idiots.

That'll set her straight.

rocketsjudoka and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Login and follow or like CNN, Lincoln Project, Freebirds, Hacky Sack, shrooms, etc... go find Marxist groups. Join em'. Change the algorithm.

Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

40 minutes?

And you watched it?

5. what

what Member

I like this one

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yep.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are a better son than me.

Reeko likes this.
  8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

We have entered a very dark age of the internet and particularly facebook, where baby boomers have become savvy enough to use it and are actually addicted in many cases but don't seem to have the capacity to discern a legit article/post/video from a credible one. It's quite the phenomenon.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Had my mom spamming me things, but not politics, I can understand how you feel a bit. On the politics, I did later came to know, her church circles, was circulating lot of these pro-trump disinformation. It did seem to start warping her view. At the time, since it didn't hurt anyone, we can kind of let it go. We did have an honest conversation and that helped.

Speaking on the downside of FB and Seniors. Last year, one of my colleague's mom, got money scammed from Facebook. Was one of those cases, where the stranger starting chatting her up, befriending her, and then gave some story of needing money; and she sent $$. (multiple times).

My colleague ended up having to get access to her FB account and take control of her financial records. He didn't recover the money but stopped the bleeding. I felt bad for him and the mom. That money could have gone to the grand kids' college funds.

In the U.S., lot of seniors live on their own (don't live with their adult kids). Some may have an active social circles, others not so much, they become lonely. Plus not being digitally savy, it's a combo of falling victim.

#29 TimDuncanDonaut, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Invisible Fan and RayRay10 like this.
  10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Frankly, I've noticed that about my mom too. She always has the Ipad, and she's always been a fairly mainstream conservative, but recently its gotten more intense with the conspiracy stuff. There is so much of it on facebook. Thats why I don't have facebook.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My youngish 75+ year old aunt constantly shares untrue stuff. My brother and I always chat about whether or not we should point out the inaccuracy. Last night I finally did. Essentially the meme said something about Pelosi that was actually about Feinstein and sending some business her (Feinstein's) husband's way. Rather than acknowledging that the meme was wrong (she admitted she didn't "rain"check it), she asked how could I support abortion. I pointed out that I was simply saying the meme had nothing to do with Pelosi. And then one of her friends seemingly took her side saying "you can't argue with relatives".

I learned my lesson and understood why my brother and i never pointed out her falsehoods in the past.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Nero

Nero Member

Just remember, parents are stupid and always wrong, and you are always right, no matter what.

They have no intelligence, or life experience, or knowledge you don't already have better.

So be sure to automatically dismiss everything they say, especially if you disagree with them socially or politically.

Also, be condescending directly to them, as well as when talking about them to other people, especially strangers on the internet, because it makes you look cool and intelligent to internet strangers, who are much more important than your parents.

And really, it's not just your parents, it's anyone older than you, or in fact just anyone who has a different opinion than you.

No one is smart if they hold opinions different from yours.

JumpMan likes this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and arkoe like this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Pole and FrontRunner like this.
  17. jacoby

jacoby Member

Maybe our moms are friends. She shares all of Candace Owens' videos on Facebook. She even said the "Plandemic" film "makes you think."...

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

WTF :D

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My mom keeps on sending me random nature pics and videos of songs in Chinese on WhatsApp.

My Dad sends me physics papers.

Yes I and my family are stereotypes...

Invisible Fan likes this.