1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Trade Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I wonder how many small market teams will be sellers due to financial impacts of rona

3. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I hope Mountcastle will be an Astro. That dude is gonna go places

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Nook

Nook Member

Good deal for Red Sox.

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Yea I really think McCullers needs to be the closer. Sorry. I dont think he is that good. In shorter spans I think he can be a terrific player. He lives for the moment but he can't have a bunch of moments. Ugh.
    Any ways close game no slams lol and seattle handled the Rangers

TWS1986 likes this.
  7. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Can we trade dusty baker for AJ Hinch?

J. Ar, awc713, mikol13 and 4 others like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Because people never b****ed about him giving guys days off or various other "manager's decisions"?

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Still mad that he left Will Harris in too long in 2015 against the Royals.....

10. HTown2017Champs

Harris cost us two rings (I contend that we’d have smoked Toronto in 2015, and then beat the Mets in 6), yet I still love him. He was still the best reliever (aside from Peacock) during the 2017 run, and was lights out until the series came back to Houston. I felt like he was not only gassed to that point, but that the Nats had seen too much of him (a la Morrow 2017). Those two will be textbook examples of why not to overuse the same reliever in the same series.

Those 2 fatal blown saves aside, Storm did so much for him. Was a nobody in Arizona, and then we turned his career around, and he got a lot of money, and one ring out of it. Won’t get over either, yet I still love and miss Will Harris.

Anyway, thank you Will Harris! To end on a positive note, my favorite Harris moment was saving Game 2(?) vs Tampa. Memorable save, Osuna got us in trouble and he put out the fire.

desihooper and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Harris got a perfect DP ball that Correa flubbed (somehow he has always gotten a mulligan on this), before the bleep and bloop show won it for the Royals. He left the game with us up 3, then Sipp and Gregerson finished the job.

eta: I stand corrected on the timing of events

And frankly, his pitch to Kendrick wasn't bad at all, and Kendrick hadn't done that with it all season.

#211 Buck Turgidson, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    BMoney, snowconeman22, awc713 and 2 others like this.
  12. HTown2017Champs

It was actually off of Sipp (first batter after Harris was pulled), but yeah. I do think part of why people give Correa a pass was for homering twice in that game, and of course the “can’t assume they turn two” crowd, but yeah, would have almost certainly been a DP. Kendrys Morales was the hitter IIRC (edit: I checked and confirmed it in fact was).

#212 HTown2017Champs, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    desihooper and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Thanks for the correction, I've tried to forget both of those games. I just remember a bunch of weak-ass hits for the Royals.

desihooper likes this.
  14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I like the Flores idea

Merrifield would be a complete no go, other than some of the Dodgers and Yankmes no one was more outspoken against us this offseason. Would likely refuse the trade (opt out) and if not likely wouldn’t be well received in the clubhouse

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It’s like he knew it was coming

hmmm

16. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the Athletic (Jim Bowden) One trade deadline move I'd like to see each team make:
    Houston Astros

Acquire right-handed reliever Joe Jiménez from the Detroit Tigers in exchange for right-handed pitcher Andre Scrubb and outfielder Chas McCormick.

Jiménez, 25, has been the Tigers’ primary closer this year, converting 5 of 6 opportunities to start the season. He’s pitched 8 1/3 innings, allowing 11 hits, 9 runs, 2 walks and 8 strikeouts. However, in 7 of his 9 appearances, he’s allowed 1 run or less. Last year, he appeared in 66 games for the Tigers, saving 9 games with an ERA of 4.37. Jiménez has a 93-95 mph four-seam fastball, a slider that opposing hitters are batting just .182 against and an occasional changeup. His fastball has been hit hard this year as the spin rate on that pitch is down significantly from last season. However, with the Astros’ strong video technology and the teachings and coaching of their pitching coach Brent Strom, the Astros might be able to help Jiménez reach more upside if he can make some significant adjustments. The Astros are desperate for bullpen depth and Jiménez’s experience should at least help considering how many rookies the Astros have had to run out there this year due to injuries. In return, the Tigers gets Scrubb who has a mid-90s fastball and solid curveball but has also walked 11 hitters as well as striking out 11 in his first 10 2/3 innings of relief work for the Astros. McCormick, 25, an older minor-league outfielder, hit .269 with 14 home runs between Double A and Triple A last year in the Astros’ farm system.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Hell no scrubb stays.
    He is gonna be nasty out the bullpen

18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Rather have Buck Farmer.
    Or
    Jose Cisnero

And see if you can pull off Jacoby Jones to go with him. A two fer.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Orioles Gm Elias says anyone is avaliable on his current roster. They are building for the future still. They really don't wanna be buyers more like sellers. Even some of there rookies on the current roster could be up for grabs

20. HTown2017Champs

I'd try to trade for Kevin Gausman from SF. Right-handed starter, his peripherals are much better than his 4.65 ERA. High K and whiff rates, good velo as well. Was picked 4th overall in 2012 out of LSU. Have never really followed him much but after seeing someone talk about him on Twitter I'm totally on board.

Chas McCormick, Nivaldo Rodriguez, and Luis Santana for Kevin Gausman and Tony Watson?