1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PG pulling a Giannis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Aug 22, 2020.

1. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

This. Why even bring harden in to the conversation? Even if he wasn't trashing Harden, the language he uses does, context or not.

D-rock likes this.
  2. fattz

fattz Member

Harden lead the league in steals by a healthy margin.

Random thought: If that was talked about more maybe Harden would be more than “JUST a scorer”

D-rock and saleem like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, choose to be butthurt. Doesn’t matter to me

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

whether he meant it as an insult or not, there's no reason to literally name drop a peer in the league to try to make your case better. pg13 is struggling. it doesn't matter what anyone else is doing. harden has nothing to do with that.

personally i took it as he's telling himself he plays both ends, while harden is a scorer and doesn't so pg13 is going to struggle and its ok. pg13 just talks to much. that clippers team just has too many guys who don't know when to shut up

talks all that trash to lillard and gets owned so he moves onto harden. just an idiot

#44 YOLO, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Richie_Rich and Patience like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Damm right he ain't no James Harden.

He’s PureGarbage

#46 juanm34, Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  7. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

You saying his vernacular is in a slump as well?

D-rock likes this.
  8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Reading the quote sounds like he’s jabbing Harden. Watching the whole clip sounds like he’s just being down on himself. Saying he isn’t the type of scorer JH is and he will have these types of games. I don’t see the issue

Dopamine, HP3, TheRealAllpro and 3 others like this.
  9. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

If I were Harden that would be disrespectful. Harden doesn’t just shoot the ball. He has a huge resposibility and distributes the ball and controls the game. PG doesn’t even play the same position. Lebron and Harden play the same positions and distribute based on the huge gravity they create. They are creators not role players. This is a diss whether he meant it or not.

10. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

But is Harden really a #1 option?

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

The name drop is the most telling thing, obviously.

PG literally could have said that he's no Kawhi Leonard or Lou Williams. The former is carrying the entire team while the latter is more or less known as the professional scorer.

If PG was down on himself, he would have just kept his thoughts contained within his own team. But to name drop Harden? And then word it as though Harden only shoots and scores while touting his (PG's) own defense? That crap is suspect.

edit:

I agree with this, also after listening to the clip. Also, I don't think PG has any reason to randomly diss Harden. Giannis' motive was that both he and James were in the convo for MVP.

D-rock likes this.
  12. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Reputations are hard to shake. If Harden wants to clean up his image then he just has to play consistent defense and not take any possession off..... which he has been doing so far in the playoffs.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The Christmas party at Westbrook's place is going to be awkward.

D-rock and topfive like this.
  14. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

I recall him going out of his way to call himself a "two-way" player when he was being compared to other MVP candidates (Harden, Giannis) during his two-month hot streak last season. Obviously he was talking about Harden, so I'd look at this as more of a jab than a compliment.

D-rock likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

The reason PG did this is the same exact reason Giannis did it: because that's the narrative that the media has been painting for years. Not only is Harden a scoring-only player, but the way he scores those points is shady—nothing but jacking up threes and flopping for fouls that the refs continue to give him, game after game.

These players watch sports shows and Youtube/Twitter/Instagram/Facebook clips. They've heard this narrative so much in the last six or seven years that it's become embedded in their subconscious, even when they know on some level it's not actually true. In the moment, when they need an example of a star who never plays defense at all, their brain feeds them the name they've heard most often in that context.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't think it was a jab but I hope Harden does and uses it as fuel. That's what Jordan or Dream would do.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Nah, it was absolutely a jab. He wasn't trying to make Harden look bad, but he was using Harden's reputation to try to make himself look better.

Still a jab. A jab is a jab.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

That was a given as soon as PG went to the OKC FO and demanded a trade.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

James has been playing GREAT defense for 2-3 years. Before that it was solid. Sad to see James get crucified for his first few years as a lead dog in Houston where he was trying to figure it all out while everyone doubted he could be a "#1" to begin with.

Its pretty stupid - these purists with their own idea of what aesthetic basketball really is so they remain blissfully ignorant.

Im still laughing at the comment though - guys can try to lessen the message with semantics, but quite frankly George didnt need to put James Harden in his mouth unless he was gonna finish the job especially after getting passed around the league like a rap video THOT!!

topfive likes this.
  20. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I thought it was a compliment. That’s the way I choose to take it.

rockbox likes this.