1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yasiel Puig

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Dalton Pence, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

He is horribly overrated at everything involving baseball.

htwnbandit, RayRay10 and Rock Block like this.
  2. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

If we need a bat-licker, and maybe we do who knows then he's your guy but otherwise, no thanks.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't want him taking AB's from Tucker or Toro, and I don't think he a noticeably better player than Reddick who we're already paying. Straw is simply a role player if we're healthy, and Puig wouldn't replace him.

We're gonna have to get young or rebuild, and you cant get young if you pull the rip cord every time a young player struggles. This mess of a season if the perfect chance to let them take the lumps.

The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Diaz should be back soon which can help with the depth at OF, DH and infield. I recall Diaz playing some LF last season but can’t recall if he is any good there? Either way he is good veteran depth if he can stay healthy...big IF.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Diaz is an underrated player. He’s a league average bat who is a good defender everywhere except CF and C. Getting him back will help. Same for Brantley. But I want Toro getting all the ABs at 3B. Tucker, Toro, and Jones need as much run as possible to see which of them can be counted on in the everyday lineup next season.

6. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Yep ! He’s the bat licker guy

7. phasors28

phasors28 Member

If need some intel on if 2017 Dodgers cheated, we could sign him.

marks0223 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

The thing is, the Astros can do that AND not throw this season away. They need to get into the playoffs and (especially this year) anything can happen. the playoffs are expanded. The league anticipates going to a bubble in the playoffs. Pitchers are getting hurt because of the unusual circumstances. Some Hall of Fame type players are struggling as well. It is all a crap shoot...... some of the best players so far are guys who hadn't accomplished much coming into this season. I doubt we will see many guys going 7-8 innings either, which means blowing through more arms in the bullpen. We have no idea how busy the trade deadline will be (I suspect it won't).

The Astros need to let their younger players get at bats and innings....... We have a glut of quality guys in the minors that did not get opportunities the last 3-4 years because we have been the best team in baseball. Few of them will likely be stars, but there are some really solid potential starting pitchers, relievers and a few bats that could be above average....... those types of players do not cost Gerrit Cole money, but they are still really expensive and the Astros will need to develop those types of players to have any shot at keeping their core together beyond 2021.

Snake Diggit and phasors28 like this.
  9. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d welcome Puig. Hell, I’d take him in a heartbeat for the right contract! Especially if it was only for the rest of the season.

J. Ar, TWS1986, Fulgore and 3 others like this.