1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Masai Ujiri shoved and struck cop

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Mr. Space City

I can’t believe a cop would overreact and escalate a situation.

cbass, Patience, Ramathorn006 and 6 others like this.
  2. jogo

jogo Member

Thanks Rocks for steering me towards this:https://www.ktvu.com/news/deputy-wh...-altercation-was-convicted-of-insurance-fraud

SAN MATEO, Calif. - Years before he got into an altercation with a Toronto Raptors executive after the team beat the Golden State Warriors in the NBA finals at Oracle Arena, an Alameda County Sheriff’s deputy was arrested and convicted of insurance fraud.

The revelations raise new questions about the deputy’s integrity, legal experts say, in a case that drew widespread attention and became a glaring distraction amid one of the Bay Area’s most high-profile recent moments in sports.

San Mateo County court records show that Alan Francis Strickland was charged with felony insurance fraud and making false statements on March 31, 1994.

Eleven years later, Strickland ended up pleading no contest to misdemeanor insurance fraud on Dec. 7, 2005, court records show. The false statement charge, a misdemeanor, was dropped in exchange for the no contest plea, which has the same legal effect as pleading guilty.

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Policemen are the most entitled assholes in America.

Couple that with a cop that is a conman and this is what happens.

Masai should have taken it out to show.... I am sure he is entitled and not used to being questioned...... having said that, the officer not only pushed him hard, he did it twice..... and then is claiming permanent injuries from Masai.

The cop needs to be fired and face charges.

4. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Unfortunate that the crowd wasn't able to coordinate and deliver sweet and immediate vigilante justice.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

On a separate note, kudos to Kyle Lowry for seeing what was happening and getting Ujiri onto the court so that he could celebrate with the team.

7. magichat281

magichat281 Member

i dont care about him, all i want to do is to sign serge ibaka next year. 7fter that hits 3s at a high percent , that can run up and down the court quickly with ease.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle is about them benji's

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

In watching the video again, Masai barely took his credentials out before moving forward. All I personally saw was the lanyard and probably the back of the ID (with all the walls of text and whatnot). There was no color or anything on the badge or whatever, probably because it was the back of the ID. Masai took it out halfheartedly before putting it back in his suit pocket and advancing forward.

You're right - the cop never should have shoved him. In fact, I'm not saying the cop was right or that Masai was wrong. I'm guessing Masai thought the cop accepted his credentials and moved forward. But in hindsight, Masai could have waited like 2 more seconds to get a verbal verification or something. Perhaps this entire incident could have been avoided.

Heat of the moment, tensions running high. Tons of people. Hindsight is 20/20.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

After 1st shove, Masai was shocked, then pulled out full lanyard. Then instead of apologizing or even allowing him through per policy, the cop shoved again. That's when Masai got pissed and shoved back. I'll re-watch if my account is incorrect.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

The cop shouldn't have shoved him the first time, but i don't think there'd have been an issue if the cop just barred Masai from entering until he pulled it out. The shove was excessive and should probably be noted in the cops file or whatever. Then it looks to me (i'm curious if others see the same thing) like Masai then sort of shoves his credentials in the cops face, which the cop took exception to and shoved him again (which is pretty inexcusable imo, you should have more self control than that as an "authority figure"). Then Masai shoved back, which while understandable given he was just shoved twice, is also something that i wouldn't generally describe as smart.

I think if the cop hadn't been a piece of crap, lied, and blew it up and tried to sue this would have basically been swept under the rug and never heard about again. So, both parties messed up, but the cop definitely escalated it first and throughout and if you look i wouldn't be surprised if he has had other excessive force reports (pure speculation on this part though).

Patience likes this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

You're right! After the first shove, Masai clearly had the ID in his right hand. I guess the cop had already made up his mind by that point that it didn't matter who Masai was.

Not sure what the verbal exchange between the two was, but I don't think it warranted another shove.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lawyers and investment bankers disagree.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jerk with a power trip is one thing, but this cop had the backing of his department. They lied about the body cam video fully supporting the officer's story, claimed Masai was the aggressor, wouldn't show the footage to the public, then lied about having the body cam footage at all because they said Masai's shove was so violent that it broke the body cam. If an entire police department will lie about such a minor incident imagine what they would do with a serious one.

Edit: The Alameda County Sheriff's office still says Mjiri is the aggressor.

#154 MrButtocks, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I'll re-watch later, but iirc, I think Masai was too far away to be shoving the credential in his face. It took me a second to realize/remember, but Masai has an accent. Keeping that in mind, you can hear (after the shove/shock on Masai's face) him say as he's pulling out the lanyard "I'm the Raptor's team president" in his accented voice. Then the cop shoves again. Then Masai is pissed and shoves back (while the cop is also shoving a 3rd time) and everyone around the cop is trying to tell the cop to stop. Then Kyle Lowry comes over to get Masai.

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

In the interest of true justice, that cop should be fired and bankrupted, Oracle Arena should be demolished, and the Warriors should be disbanded and forfeit their titles.

kdchilds, AroundTheWorld and Ziggy like this.
  17. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

You can't?!

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Pretty sure he's being sarcasmic...

Mr. Space City and forchette49 like this.
  19. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

So @Carl Herrera seems to have some biases...

Seriously, can we finally be done with this "let's give the cop the benefit of the doubt" bullsh!t??? When is enough enough?

20. Buck Turgidson

Yeeeeah, lulz, except that 19 year old is a grown ass man, the GM of the ****ing team playing, wearing a $2000 suit who is already on the floor of an NBA game and has credentials around his neck.

But other than that, it's a totally apt comparison.