1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Run DMC member killed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Free Agent, Oct 30, 2002.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

man, he was killed at work.

that's really really sad. Jam Master Jay was an inspiring individual. I loved their music, and although Grandmaster Flash was probably more of an inventor, Jam Master Jay took other concepts and made better music.

80s music owes a LOT to this man.

dayum!!!

RIP

#22 heypartner, Oct 31, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2002
  3. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

my friend called me from new york last night with this news.

I told him, "if you gave me 1000 days to make a list of people I think would get gunned down, I wouldn't have put JMJ's name on that list."

he always seemed like such a nice guy. I loved his verse on "Down With the King".

it's taken a long while for people's ears to really get used to hearing rap as music.

JMJ was a musician. his style of cutting had a really intuitive pop sensibility to it. he knew how to cut in a catchy way.

there have been guys who could cut faster or in more adventurous ways [terminator x comes to mind], but JMJ could cut like a lead guitar player.

I wish I had a Run-DMC poster. . .

their effect on music and culture over the last 20 years cannot be overstated.

you said it, cson.

Jam:( Master :( Jay:(

4. DJ JFive

DJ JFive Member

What Jam Master Jay did for hip hop, turntablism and music in general is immeasurable. RIP

MTV will be airing a Run DMC block at 11:00 AM Central.

[​IMG]

Jason Mizell
    1965-2002

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no kidding...i loved that song...so sad

6. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

AMEN.:(

7. chievous minniefield

[​IMG]

Jason Mizell
    1965-2002 [/B][/QUOTE]

J5, where did you get the picture?

does anyone know of any Run DMC sites or anywhere where others might be chatting about JMJ?

8. jwun

jwun Member

J5, where did you get the picture?

does anyone know of any Run DMC sites or anywhere where others might be chatting about JMJ? [/B][/QUOTE]

Try this

Run's House

9. chievous minniefield

Try this

Run's House [/B][/QUOTE]

thanks. that's a great website for Run DMC fans. very thorough.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Man this is sad, there are some sick people out there. :(

R.I.P.

11. DJ JFive

DJ JFive Member

The photo I posted/the one on the fansite was taken last summer at the WHFS concert in Washington, DC. The station is a rock station and the entire line-up was all rock with the exception of Run DMC. It goes to show you the reach Run DMC had.

http://www.whfs.com/

12. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

What I consider to be poetry:
    ---------------------------
    A girl named Carol
    Followed Daryl
    Every gig we play
    First he dissed her
    Then dismissed her
    Now she's jockin' Jay.
    -----------
    RIP || JMJ
    CBFC

13. Timing

Timing Member

It's not right.

RIP :(

14. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

What's "not right" is all these radio stations playing RUN DMC after this tragedy. Where were they before his murder??

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

R.I.P Jam Master J

Althought they are saying this is not a west coast vs. east coast thing.

I say Dr. Dre needs to watch his ass. I can't see someone from New York doing this. :(

17. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I've never been much of a fan of rap music, but (for some reason), I always liked Run-DMC.

I am extremely saddened by this murder.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2 Are Charged in Killing of Jam Master Jay, Hip-Hop Pioneer

The two men had long been suspects in the 2002 killing of the D.J., a member of the group Run-DMC.
    Federal Prosecutor Announces Charges in Jam Master Jay Case
    The acting U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of New York said two men have been charged in the 2002 killing of Jason Mizell, also known as Jam Master Jay from the group Run-DMC.

A grand jury returned an indictment here in the Eastern District of New York, charging two defendants, Karl Jordan, Jr. and Ronald Washington, for their involvement in the murder of Jason Mizell. And what we’ve alleged in that indictment is that on Oct. 30, 2002 — nearly 20 years ago — Mr. Jordan and Mr. Washington walked into a music studio in Queens where Mr. Mizell and others were working, essentially hanging out. And they walked in and they murdered him in cold blood. And we started investigating that case a very long time ago, in the early 2000s. But there were a lot of challenges associated with bringing that case. But primarily this is a case about — a case about a murder that for nearly two decades had gone unanswered. And so today, we begin to answer that question of who killed Jason Mizell and why. And we are confident that we can prove those charges beyond a reasonable doubt.
    When Jam Master Jay, the D.J. for the pioneering rap group Run DMC, was killed in his studio in Queens nearly 20 years ago, it struck the hip-hop world with the force of a tragedy.

Shrines to Jay, whose real name was Jason Mizell, popped up in barbershops and on street corners. People wanted to know who could have gunned down a peaceful, old-school D.J. whose group rapped mostly about sneakers, girls and basketball.

Over the next two decades, Mr. Mizell’s murder achieved a mythic status as one of the rap world’s coldest cases. There were plenty of leads, but none of them resulted in charges — until now.

On Monday, city and federal authorities announced that they had charged two men who had long been suspects in the case. The authorities blamed the fatal shooting on a cocaine deal gone wrong.

Without going into specifics, Seth D. DuCharme, the acting U.S. attorney in Brooklyn, acknowledged that the authorities faced serious challenges in pursuing the case since Mr. Mizell was killed in late 2002. Mr. DuCharme credited Queens detectives, the F.B.I. and agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives for their persistent investigation.

“This is a case about a murder that for nearly two decades has gone unanswered,” Mr. DuCharme said. “Today we begin to answer that question of who killed Jason Mizell and why.”

According to court papers filed on Monday, Mr. Washington and Mr. Jordan, both of them armed, broke into Mr. Mizell’s studio on Merrick Boulevard in Jamaica, Queens, at about 7:30 p.m on Oct. 30, 2002. As Mr. Washington forced someone inside the studio to the ground at gunpoint, the papers say, Mr. Jordan fired a bullet into Mr. Mizell’s head, killing him almost instantly.

“They walked in and murdered him in cold blood,” Mr. DuCharme said.

Prosecutors said that the two men had “executed” Mr. Mizell after he sought to exclude them from “a multi-kilogram, multistate narcotics transaction.” In July 2002, just months before the murder, court papers say, Mr. Mizell had received about 10 kilos of cocaine “on consignment” from a supplier in Maryland.

Mr. Washington and Mr. Jordan were supposed to have been his partners in the deal, the papers say, but after a dispute — which was not described — Mr. Mizell threatened to cut them out.

“There was a beef — it didn’t go as planned,” one official said.

Mr. Washington, 56, is currently serving a federal prison sentence for six robberies. Mr. Jordan, 36, was taken into custody on Sunday.

Federal prosecutors first accused Mr. Washington of taking part in Mr. Mizell’s murder in 2007 when he was convicted in the robbery case and sentenced to 210 months in prison, said Susan Kellman, his lawyer at the time. Although prosecutors tried to use the murder accusation in a bid to raise his sentence, Ms. Kellman said she never took it seriously.

“I had a sense that somebody whispered something in their ear to get themselves out of trouble,” she said, adding that Mr. Washington had always said he was not the killer. “When he heard the allegation, he was laughing, he said, ‘Good one,’” she said.

Mr. Washington did not appear to have a lawyer representing him on the new charges. Mr. Jordan’s lawyer did not return a request for comment. Mr. Jordan had previously been charged with attempted murder in the shooting of Mr. Mizell’s nephew in 2003. But the case was dismissed when the nephew failed to cooperate with the authorities, according to law enforcement officials.

Two witnesses in the case were cooperating with the government, said a law enforcement official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

In the weeks and months that followed the killing of Mr. Mizell, 37, detectives explored several possible explanations for the shooting, including that the gunman had a grudge against the rapper 50 Cent, a protégé of Jam Master Jay’s, and was trying to hit back at him by killing Mr. Mizell. That theory was later discounted.

Investigators who reviewed Mr. Mizell’s business and personal relationships struggled with finding a motive and wondered why someone might want to kill a man who had not embraced prominent rivalries with others in the industry.

The case went cold a few years later.

Mr. Mizell spent several years of his childhood in the Queens neighborhood of Hollis, which has a rich hip-hop legacy.

He gained nationwide fame as the trailblazing D.J. for Run-DMC, a trio that included Joseph Simmons, known as Run, and Darryl McDaniels, known as DMC.

In the years before Mr. Mizell’s death, he increasingly embraced the role of a local talent scout, listening to demo tapes of 14- and 15-year-old rappers and making suggestions. In 2002, he founded the Scratch D.J. Academy, where students learned D.J. techniques.

After the case reopened in 2016, Mr. Mizell’s older brother, Marvin Thompson, said in an interview that his brother felt he had nothing to show for all the work he had put into his career, and he wanted to cut ties with those around him.

“‘I got all these leeches on me,’” Mr. Thompson recalled his brother saying.

Mr. Thompson remained convinced that the killing involved people close to Mr. Mizell, including some who were among four people in the studio that night.

“I’d like to know the truth,” he said. “You hear so many different speculations — drugs, jealousy. I need to know who and why. That’s the major answer right there. Then I can have peace in my spirit.”

Mr. Thompson died in 2018, as did Mr. Mizell’s sister, followed by his mother in 2019. Mr. Mizell’s survivors include his widow and three sons.

Trini Washington, 53, who managed Mr. Mizell’s D.J. gigs while the musician was on tour, said he was so overwhelmed when he heard about the charges on Monday that he put down his phone and cried.

“It’s been 18 years, and it’s the end of a chapter in this situation,” he said. “We can all move forward.”

The long wait had been agonizing for those who worked closest to Mr. Mizell, in part because the case was tainted by rumors and innuendo, Mr. Washington said.

Mr. Washington said he wanted to preserve his friend’s legacy.

“He didn’t deserve to die the way that he did, and we’re totally appreciative of law enforcement and the job that they did and their due diligence,” he said.

#38 Xerobull, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Jontro, K mf G and KingCheetah like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It is really hard to believe this happened almost 2 decades ago.

20. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Man, I so badly want to hear that JMJ was trying to stop a drug deal and that's why he got shot - because I definitely don't want to hear that he was the buyer or the seller.

K mf G likes this.