1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

League fires Rockets/NBA photographer, removes him from the Bubble

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I wonder if he posted something derogatory about Trump would he have seen the same result? What do you guys think?

2. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

You know, I have got to say that some in this thread (particularly CXbby and Mathloom) have really opened my eyes to just how far decency and common sense have gone out the window over the last few years.

It's appalling that there are people who can't grasp why this was both inappropriate AND an understandably fire-able offense. One cannot just dismiss this as "He just shared something on social media -- he didn't say it himself. It was just a joke!"

No. That's not how social media works. If you share it, whether a photo, video, your own comment, or someone else's content, it's on you. You are choosing to go out of your way to publicize and elevate something. That is your speech.

Had Baptist just liked the image post rather than re-share it, I doubt we'd be discussing it. But that's not what happened. He took it to another level and chose to publicize something that was tasteless trash -- or "humor" for the very low-brow among us. Maybe I'm giving this way too much thought, but was this the thought process of the original content creator?:

HAHAHA JOE BIDEN HAS A FEMALE RUNNING MATE SO I CAME UP WITH SOMETHING THAT HIGHLIGHTS SHE'S JUST A WORTHLESS WOMAN AND IT RHYMES WITH JOE!! GET IT?!

How dumb does one (Baptist in this case) have to be to go out of your way to share a stupid image that generalizes a woman as nothing more than a w****/slut/skank? How is defending Baptist even defensible at this point?

Yet instead we have some in this thread that act "offended" as if it's everyone else who has a problem.

tHe NbA is FaScIsT!!!1
    It'S JuSt a MeMe!!!!!11
    I CaN't CoMe Up WiTh A CoHeReNt RaTiOnAlIzAtIoN So I'Ll JuSt PaRrOt "CaNcEl CuLtUrE" bEcAuSe It'S a CoOl bUzZ wOrD aNd I tOtAlLy OwNeD ThOsE SoCiAl JuStIcE WaRrIoRs!!!!!1

Go educate yourself.

3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I wonder which side benefits from social media and the bias censoring those companies partake in? This is a pipe dream as you said. Democrats own the media and they own the Republicans. Social media and most media will always be a propaganda machine that the politics rely on, it is free campaign contributions without having to deal with campaign laws.

4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Are you 100% sure that it isn't the case that he has a negative view of that one particular woman instead of all woman as you suggest? Have you said any negative comments towards Trump and if so does that mean you feel that way towards all men?

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Every rapper better watch their backs when all their misogyny gets brought to the light of day. The horrors.

tycoonchip likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm not Saudi, and stop changing the subject.

Just because they are contractually allowed to fire him doesn't mean it's not ****ing ridiculous. "Real fascist countries" always start this way.

CVcrew likes this.
  7. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Can't defend your position so you're just trying throwing out other unrelated strawmen. Was Baptist a rapper recording music on his own label?

I believe -- and you can verify this -- Baptist worked for an employer that promotes values that are the antithesis of what he shared.

DaDakota and Patience like this.
  8. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Good lord. You realize there's a mature way to express negative opinions of someone instead of belittling them, no?

Referring to Kamala Harris as a "hoe" is nowhere near the same as saying "I think she's an idiot and has dumb policies."

How is this so hard to grasp?

9. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I find it interesting that you read my comments and that is what you come up with. I never suggested what the guy said was appropriate or smart. On his end it is just a dumb thing to do because he knows that anti-democrat speech will get him fired. I was responding to the person who, in my view, was suggesting the man was making an anti woman comment instead of an anti Harris comment.

10. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

If you're genuinely suggesting that Baptist was fired because he posted something that was political rather than misogynistic, then you're either a troll or you're beyond hope.

I don't honestly know what you're trying to argue here. The post that Baptist shared was anti-Biden/Harris and also derogatory towards women.

Are we really trying to split hairs here? I don't get the logic in staking your ground to be a woke contrarian.

11. jim petersen84

I don't support either side dems or repubs but as you can see the nba has embraced the whole co-opted george soros ford foundation blm and biden for prez 100 percent. The nba clearly has a agenda and if bill baptist would have shared something bashing trump it would have been ignored.

12. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Good fu*k dude. Doesn’t he know there are many others ways to show your disapproval? Idiot.

D-rock likes this.
  13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Ahhh no one said u was saudi lmao...i was talkkng about the Saudi prince killing a Journalist. U wanna no was real facism....gassing your own citizens at peaceful protests....so give me a break. I've been in the military I've seen real fascism n on top im black. We been living with cancel culture for real smh. Again this is a sexist being called out n fired...period

DVauthrin likes this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ummmmm no. Example u are in a business that serves the african american community. If people found out that u refused to fire an employee on his spare time is racist as fk online and gets caught doing that, u will lose money. U fire his ass cause he doesnt represent your business views.

No brainer the nba org got rid of this guys sexist ass. Person with poor judgement will get fired regardless of the subject, idk y u arguing.

Like those karens verbally abusing black people, poor judgement = fired..... its not that hard. Freedom of speech has consequences.

#114 DatRocketFan, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Its not a repub vs dem thing....... its literally a sexist term bro, u dont go callin people ho's.

Like i bet u if any nba media person calls trump a ***, automatic fired. Dumbass meh, bum meh.
    Tips to avoid being fired in a global company. Avoid being racist, homophobic, or sexist. Common sense bro.

DVauthrin, D-rock, mike2k132 and 2 others like this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You know what happens the whole decade before someone gasses their own people? Yeah.

If you're in the military you are of course part of the fascism and it's highly unlikely you'll be one of the few who will see that they are a part of the fascism. You should have led with that, I wouldn't have bothered. It's like talking to an Iranian soldier about whether Iran is fascist lol wtf would I learn from that?

This is a sexist being fired from photography. It is monkey behavior and humans will laugh at it in 10-15 years. There are better and worse countries, but few are REGRESSING so aggressively. It's extremely odd in human history, and I suspect it's not an organic part of what Americans are truly concerned about.

America is of course not a fascist nation of people although it contains some of the world's most influential fascist institutions. These signs would be alarming if I saw them where I live, so you sure as hell don't wanna see them in your country.

It's kind of ridiculous that I'm telling you - an American - that you should be freer and you're arguing with that. Don't be on the wrong side of history, there has almost never in history been an instance where more censorship has worked out for the long term good of the country.

CXbby and CVcrew like this.
  17. Fantasma Negro

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s tough with Trump, because he is of a different ilk. Sort of like the evil floating guy in Dune. He says nasty things all the time about everyone. So far, I haven’t heard that sort of vitriol from Kamala.

On the other hand, If someone said John McCain is a hoe, I’m ready to fight that bish.

Oh wait, Trump said that. :confused:

Patience likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, it’s been my experience that those that have served have some of the most keen insight into the workings of our Country.

I’d be more prone to doubt the words of someone that HADN’T served.

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's just bias dude, we all suffer from it. To stay with the example, I wouldn't care if an Iranian citizen told me Iranian soldiers are insightful, I would still see them as heavily biased technical experts. That's not how you make an assessment.

For me at least. To each their own of course.