1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Always Hated Joe Kelly

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by lnchan, Jul 29, 2020.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I dont.

UTSA2step likes this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

His teammates being Mookie and Price? But also remember... Logan Morrison named Dodgers are perpetrators also.

UTSA2step, King1, msn and 2 others like this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's ridiculous and infuriating how pretty much everybody outside of Astros fandom lauds Kelly as a hero, and as someone who is taking up the mantle of justice when in reality he's just a sniveling, hypocritical, undisciplined little man-child who has the absolute most misguided perception of what's right and wrong here. The fact that MLB Twitter is so in love with him is very telling when you think about the landscape of our country today. Critical thinking is something that has been systematically destroyed. For Joe Kelly to take the moral high ground on this is just about the most asinine thing I've ever seen.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets not forget who gave Kelly this opportunity to begin with.

Had MLB/MLBPA done their job properly, this wouldn't and couldn't have occurred.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

FOX video

Justin Turner:

Haven't listened to the podcast if I'm being honest.

One thing he did say I read about is it's something that will bother him for the rest of his life and it's something all of us will live with for the rest of our life. Just to say "Oh, it's done and over with, move on", I don't think is a reality for anyone. Around the league, there's a lot of guys upset and don't feel like they, the punishment didn't fit the crime. I don't know if that'll ever go away for me.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d rather watch the Rangers win 5 championships then see this current iteration of The Dodgers win anything. They are so desperately eager to deflect their failures to something other than themselves and this “scandal” was a gift.

7. lnchan

I even want the Yankees to beat them... only if Beltran releases a tell-all book before the deciding game.

BigM and msn like this.
  8. lnchan

https://theathletic.com/1994670/202...e-indicates-about-the-astros-dodgers-rivalry/

Waiting until getting his appeal ruling in before releasing the tape is GUTLESS.

excerpts:
    What Joe Kelly’s podcast appearance revealed about the Astros-Dodgers rivalry
    When you taint someone’s name to save your own name, that is one of the worst things that you could probably do as a person,” Kelly said on Ross Stripling’s podcast, The Big Swing. “It really friggin’ bugs me. I think I’ll be irritated forever.”

Kelly was not a 2017 Dodger, but he inserted himself into the strife on July 28. During the Dodgers’ first game at Minute Maid Park since the 2017 World Series, he threw two pitches near the Astros’ Alex Bregman and Carlos Correa, then taunted Correa and made pouty faces in his direction while returning to his dugout. Benches cleared and COVID-19 protocols were broken.

Kelly maintained that the throws were inadvertent, but the league ruled differently, suspending him eight games for instigating the confrontation. The announcement made note of Kelly’s role in a 2018 Yankees-Red Sox brawl, when he hit Tyler Austin with a pitch and threw punches in the ensuing fight. He appealed his six-game suspension that time and was denied, after being told he had instigated the brawl by inviting Austin to charge the mound.

He said he was given a similar justification this time.

“Apparently my words again, or my cute face I made, enticed a whole team to come out of their dugout towards our dugout,” Kelly said. “Which is complete bullshit because I socially distanced. I walked away. I didn’t get close. I followed all the guidelines of the CDC, and people on the other side didn’t. They walked out of their dugout, walked towards us. Carlos Correa ****ing spit at our team.”

Kelly said it was unfair that no Astros were suspended for the July 28 dispute. Only manager Dusty Baker was fined because his players left the dugout. Kelly claimed that Baker helped instigate and hurt his feelings by body-shaming him.

”They have a manager on their side, verbatim, yelling at me, ‘Get your little skinny ass on the mound,’” Kelly said. “So my cuss words get eight games, and his cuss words get zero? That makes complete sense, right? Welcome to planet Earth. A debacle.”

Kelly recorded his podcast appearance the night of August 2, five days after the incident. Stripling and co-host Cooper Surles waited to release it until Kelly received the ruling on his appeal, which came down Wednesday. Kelly will serve a reduced five-game suspension when he returns from a stint on the injured list because of inflammation in his throwing shoulder.

On the podcast, Kelly said he believed his actions warranted no suspension at all.

“The bullshit that they gave me, their reasoning, is nonsense,” Kelly said. “I have the letters, and they’re lucky I’m not posting their letters because they would just be in a world of trouble.”

Kelly also criticized the league’s response to the coronavirus crisis. He praised the Dodgers’ protocols but noted that teams still fly on planes serviced by flight attendants who are not required to undergo COVID-19 testing.

“The rules and regulations we follow are still not good enough,” Kelly said.

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Joe Kelly is a Coward, after Striking out Correa Why walk to the dugout, Walk toward Correa. Correa is ready to fight and beat him you up.

The Athletic did pay off Mike Fiers just for dirt on the Astros. ESPN just loves to Taint Houston Championship Teams.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Is there some blizzaro world where just because this was recorded previously, he can't be held further accountable?

Plenty of players are fined/suspended in all sports for their comments... whether they're live or tweeted or uncovered.

Him criticizing MLB's response to the pandemic, continuing to question his suspension, admitting he has a vendetta against a team he just threw at, them waiting till after the suspension was reduced to release this... all of it. How is this less of a threat than a bench coach yelling at a hitter?

#90 Nick, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Chilly_Pete, BigM and TWS1986 like this.
  11. lnchan

Because body shaming is unacceptable.

12. SuraGotMadHops

Well said, and completely accurate on all counts. At this point, you are either smart or you're dumb, you use your brain or you don't, you're either a jackass or you're decent. Anybody that still thinks sign stealing, pine tar, PEDs (still!), are not an inherent part of the game is just a fool and they can't be helped. Ballplayers that do not understand how their own player's union works are fools.

Writers that want to focus all their energy on one franchise instead of delving into the grander issue of technological advancements in baseball which lead to sign stealing moving ahead of where MLB could control it, then MLB overcompensating at the goading of a couple of vindictive writers, again, I can't help you. Fiers blew the whistle, but so did Logan Morrison right? Statements in the commissioners own report that Beltran said the Astros were "behind the times," nobody pays attention to that??

People not recognizing or paying attention to the Yankees efforts to keep a letter sealed...willful ignorance.

Idiots too dumb to see Boston were repeat offenders (and started this whole party with their apple watch scheme) and have an MVP winner and WS banner in 2018 - AFTER MLB formalized the rule against using tech to steal signs, and instead only attack Altuve and his MVP even though it's been proven he didn't even use the trash can....sorry you're a moron.

Worst of all, reports that would rather hail doofuses like Kelly and Laureano instead of getting to the bottom of Tyler Skaggs' death....you are scum.

Go Astros, f*** everybody else. Screw the MLB for its inconsistent justice and disciplinary measures, and babying of its favorite money makers.

13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Here, here!

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

It's funny how they don't look at Clayton choke last year against the Nats and forget he has a history of doing that

UTSA2step and TWS1986 like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And Kelly himself gave up the grand slam to Kendrick.

16. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So this series is gonna bother him instead all the other times they spit the bit.

Seems legit.

msn and BigM like this.
  18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't feel stepping in Brantley's way was a whoopsie by Kelly. Him intentionally setting up a scenario where Brantley could be injured seems to have gotten overlooked in everything else. I have never ever seen a pitcher place his foot on that part of the bag while covering first.

19. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Totally agree. It was intentional.

20. phasors28

phasors28 Member

He pulled a Draymond Green against Leonard. I can't stand Draymond but I will admit he's talented and a key contributor to a championship team. Kelly - part of the reason the Dodgers did not win in '19 and lacks the talent to throw accurately.

HTown2017Champs and arkoe like this.