1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

$600/week unemployment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, May 2, 2020.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Nice thread you got here..your priorities are nothing short of sickening.

While you guys are so worried about how many pennies to give some poor sap in the middle of a pandemic the gop welfare game is walking out the front with the stereo , the keys and all else

Sick and this thread shows how bamboozled you all are to worry about 600...good one

F-35s Don't Help Families Pay Their Bills": GOP Under Fire for Slipping $30 Billion Pentagon Gift Into Coronavirus Plan

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2...s-gop-under-fire-slipping-30-billion-pentagon

Priorities ...

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Why not just raise wages though? Why do we need UBI? If I had the choice, I rather raise wages. Do we realistically expect for UBI to only be paid for by the big corporations?

I know the argument has always been, small businesses will suffer, but is that really the case? Wouldn't the cost of goods increase to offset the costs? It's not as if prices would have to rise at the same rate as whatever we raise minimum wage to, so it wouldn't offset the minimum wage increase.

I guess I see this $600/week as a live experiment and the results are that people are able to pay their bills and also buy something they otherwise couldn't before thus stimulating the economy. I rather keep the benefit till the end of the year and prevent the economy from going belly up. The $1,200 one time check is stupid, this is just some idiotic ploy to get more votes with only a short term impact on the economy. Jobs aren't there right now because of this pandemic and they won't be there even if things open up because confidence is low and people are choosing their health over going to spend money.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. PeppermintCandy

This apparently includes a new 2 billion dollar FBI building near the Trump hotel in downtown DC, at the request of the president.

Good grief, can this guy be any more obviously corrupt?

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I agree with you in that putting money in people's pockets IS the best idea. We shouldn't be bailing out large corporations, but rather letting the people bail them out - if they see fit.

To me, the UBI works for a few reasons.

1. You're not pricing workers out of small business jobs. Some people say this wouldn't happen, or that it hasn't happened where the wage has already been hiked. I think it, at the very least, may stymie small businesses (1-3 employees) from adding extra help and growing when they could.

2. It doesn't screw over the lower middle class. Anyone that is making, say $15-25/hour would suddenly be caught by the increase in goods that would inevitably happen. I once overheard someone say the price of a cheeseburger has always reflected minimum wage. I thought that was a good point.

3. You can use it to encourage things. Want UBI? Only citizens with a job, unemployment (temporary), or on disability get it. Etc. Etc.

Once again, I'm not expert on the economy, but I think it helps in a lot of aspects, and I think you can use it as a policy to encourage things. I also think you don't hurt the middle class or small businesses from a sudden bump.

RayRay10 and TWS1986 like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Give the money to people
    People spend the money to corporations and businesses
    businesses and Corporations don't go bankrupt
    Businesses and Corporations employ people

Seems pretty simple

what is the fear?
    People will take the money and not spend it????
    WELL . . the corporations are taking the money and still laying off people . . they sitting on the money

Rocket River

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...fbi-building-in-gop-stimulus-bill/5526978002/

White House pushed to include $1.75 billion for new FBI headquarters in GOP pandemic aid bill: Senate source

WASHINGTON – Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell appeared to be caught off guard by a $1.75 billion provision to rebuild the FBI headquarters in downtown Washington that the White House inserted into the Kentucky Republican's own coronavirus relief bill he unveiled Monday.

"This was an administration request, but (McConnell) believes this should not have been included in the HEALS Act," a Senate source with knowledge of the legislative negotiations told USA TODAY on Tuesday on the condition of anonymity in order to speak freely.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Congress has almost always given money to business instead of the people - especially when the GOP is in power.

GIving the money to the people and having them SPEND it keeps the economy going.

DD

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Mitchie be like "oops"
    [​IMG]

This isn't something Trump can accept. Are the Republicans really going to throw what little chances Trump has left in the garbage over being the side fighting to lower benefits for a country that is STRUGGLING HARD? Sheesh good luck for them, and may god help us all because a quarter of the country is on the verge of being evicted.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He will spin it as the Democrats fault and his base will believe him.

RayRay10, TWS1986 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He already did lol. He's a tool but he knows the citizens don't pay attention so he can just lie.

RayRay10 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

For the people who are in the right cult, of course, nothing matters, but most people don't follow politics that closely.

A LOT of people won't give a **** when their jobs are gone and they can't cover the basics anymore, Trump is president, it's on him. Senate is also at potential risk for losing the majority, these bastards are really going to kill themselves with greed.

RayRay10 and ElPigto like this.
  13. bobrek

Remember, you are talking about a significant amount of people who take the undocumented word of a doctor in a 5 minute video who believes in astral sex with demons over documented evidence from a number of legitimate sources.

14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Which is so very sad. It's pathetic how dumb a lot of our country is.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Those people are definitely ****ed lol, but again, I think it will always surprise those who are even moderately into politics just how little most voters actually follow politics. This administration's complete sabotage of the pandemic response has enabled mass death, mass job loss, and a huge blow to the quality of life, now they are going to fight tooth and nail to lower unemployment benefits while people lose their homes? This will hang them properly if they haven't already done so with the other ****.

It's all unreal. A nightmarish world I'm living in, personally at least.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. bobrek

Oh... believe me, I could not agree more with your assertion with how little folks follow politics. That's the scary thing. They see Trump's blathering and believe it rather than doing a bit of research.

Just today, i saw that some people are voting for Trump because he is "so kind". What a crock.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You don't believe in exercising your demons?

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What drives me crazy is that you can present these people facts and they will either say, it's liberal BS, or not bother to read it.

I had a conservative lady come at me when I called out a local council member that I use to work with and we are friends on Facebook. I simply said, we have a preventative measure for COVID and that is masks, social distancing, and limit large group gatherings and she just said it was fake news and wanted to see actual data.

I thought about posting studies then told myself, why waste my time, I know she isn't going to read it. Sometimes I post straight from the source rather than a news paper article to make a point, but they are too lazy too read and just have their ideology up their ass.

RayRay10, Outlier and bobrek like this.
  19. bobrek

I do... but not on the Astral plane

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Quickest way to get to Planet Fitness.

RayRay10 likes this.