1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: How long do you keep your smart phones?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Jul 27, 2020.

?

How long do you keep your phone before getting a new one?

1. < 2 years: Bleeding edge, need the newest and greatest

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. 2 - 5 years. Phone still hold up, but certain reasons (os support, battery swell...etc)

56 vote(s)
    74.7%
  3. 5 - 10 years.

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. > 10 years. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. n/a - No mobile. Landline only or off the grid.

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. TimDuncanDonaut

I may be in the market for a new phone. The one I got in 2017 is still good, but battery is starting to wear out a bit. Also concern about the OS no longer getting patches.

Folks used to switch phone a bit more often when mobile carrier renews contract, folks get a FREE or discounted phone. (every two years-ish)
    • Curious, how long do folks keep their smart phone before replacing a new one?
    • Any brand you like or loyal? (Motorola, Samsung, Pixel, iPhone...etc).
    • Give any of your old phone to a family members? Does it still hold up?

Type: Pixel XL (first gen)
    Year: 2017 ~3 years
    Price range tolerance: $200-$800

Prior to that, usually 2-3 years per new phone.

2. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Phone I'm on right now I got almost 3 years ago. I'll at least make it 3...see what happens when I get past that.

Prior to this phone. I pretty much every 2 years, as I was "eligible for upgrade". I just kind of got tired of spending the money.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I have had an LG V20 for 4 years and literally just received my new V60 (UPS just rang the bell) looks awesome currently charging up. Also had a Galaxy S7 that I was finally able to turn off last week -- it's 5 years old. I got the V20 partly for the easily replaceable battery so I could keep it 3+ years -- it's had some issues but has generally been really good.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

With as much as they cost now and how there's really no need to update? Until they start giving me problems. :D

pgabriel and CCity Zero like this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Usually lasts 4 years for me

Ubiquitin and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I used to get replace phones at 2 years or less but now... I'm trying for 3-4 years +. There's essentially no reason to upgrade with how stagnant the development is. My Note 5 made it 3 years, I'm planning on my Note 9 to make it 1 more year+.

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The poll has a clear cut winner.

I would still be using a moto g6 but that thing starting effing up big time- no sound on texts, lagged hard, battery depletion, ran out of memory. Skipped the g7 and on a g8 plus now.

Ubiquitin and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  8. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I still have an iphone 7+ will finally upgrade when the 11 comes out. Nothing about the others really made me go, O I need that. Wife gets upgraded easily from work and I dont feel I am missing much. Will see what happens with the $1200 in the fall. 5 G might be cool

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I usually do it every 2 1/2 -3yrs

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to be bleeding age in the early 2010s but now I don’t care and my iPhone is as good as when I got it in 2018.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Usually 2-2.5 years. I really only upgrade when the phone becomes unusable. This phone for instance now has **** battery life, but since I'm home all the time it doesn't matter. So I'll keep this for as long as I can. Hopefully a 5G $300-$500 phone will be available in a year or so.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I upgrade yearly, at this point its just a dumb impulse purchase every year.

Jontro and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

There’s a curve that goes along with increasing processor speed. 10 years ago it was pushing it for me to wait two years. Now I’m going on three years with no plans to upgrade because my phone is chugging along fine.

Lack of new innovations is key too. There just aren’t any new bells and whistles out there that make me want to drop $600-$1k.

arkoe likes this.
  14. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

The older I've gotten, the less I care about my phone specs. I used to HAVE to have the lastest and greatest, now my phone is about to be 3 versions old, and it still chugs along like a champ.

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'm on a 3yr old iPhone 8 right now - I'll hold on to it as long as possible which is usually when the IOS is too old to support anything anymore.

arkoe and STR8Thugg like this.
  16. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I've been itching to upgrade my LG G7 even though it's working perfectly fine. I've been buying second hand LG phones at a steep discount since they depreciate like a rock compared to other brands. It only cost me $250 when I bought it in late 2018. A used LG G8 on ebay is around $200 right now, but I can't logically justify replacing the G7 right now. The G8 is not a substantial upgrade.

On my wishlist for the next phone would be mature 5g tech, high refresh rate oled screen, and not be any bigger than my current phone. I used a Pixel 3XL for a while and it was just too big and unwieldy with a case.

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

As others have said, basically one of three things occur:
    • The specs get so outdated that usage of the phone gets annoying, either the physical hardware gets too dated and the OS bogs or network specs/requirements change.
    • The phone starts having issues with network connectivity home or office.
    • I shatter the screen and it's so old no one has them in stock and it's going to be several days for a repair shop to get the parts.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Somewhere between year 1 and year 2.

Once the battery goes, it's game over.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

i try not to upgrade. as long as it can support pr0nhub and a couple of games, there's no need to change. besides, i have nephs and neices who always have the newest iphones and it's annoying

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Note 8 still rolling since nov 17 but getting harder to charge. Have to make sure the connection is real good or it wont charge.