1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should seating be allowed at 25% capacity?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Jul 26, 2020.

?

Crowd attendance

1. Yes, 25% is OK

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Either 100% or 0

15 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Senator

Senator Member

MMP seats 40,000 when full, there is no reason why 10,000 people can't stay distanced from one another. I would also say masks can be taken off when you're seated, but should be worn as soon as you get up from your seats.

If these rules were actually followed, there wouldn't be a spike in cases. The problem is people thought the rules didn't apply to them, and now we have empty stadiums when they don't have to be.

2. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I see your point about the 25% but even seated people should keep masks on. Talking, people coughing, many reasons for people to keep masks on. People disagree therefore no fans at all at games. Disappointing but it is nice to be able to watch the Stros again. Too bad we can't play the Mariners all 60 games.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

So basically the 2010-12 season?

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Have to factor in food vendors and bathroom distancing.... unless everybody going to these games accepts minimal concession availability and limited bathrooms availability.

I do think once the overall cases go down they’ll explore this option as the season progresses.

And meanwhile, the NFL is licking its chops... let the other leagues work out the kinks, and they hit the ground running full steam in 2 months.

whiskeyred likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There should be ways to get people in the door. If they don't want vending, let folks bring in a small cooler.

Start low with long time season ticket holders and work up from there.

cmoak1982 and The Beard like this.
  6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

No, only Fauci should be able to watch games in person

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I’m pretty sure in Korea and Japan they currently do not have food vendors

As for restrooms, yeah if you gotta go you gotta go

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t know the answer, but I DO know that the virtual fan nonsense needs to go away ASAP. The CGI fans and fake crowd noise is creepy as hell.

whiskeyred and jim1961 like this.
  9. bobrek

What needs to go is the Zoom call with fans. Hopefully that was only a one game thing. I don't recall seeing it yesterday.

I like the cutouts, especially since it's for charity, but they need a George and Barbara directly behind home plate.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would find that a little creepy...

the only thing the fake crowd noise helps with is if I’m indirectly watching a game and something happens.

11. bobrek

Only put them up when the Astros are batting. :) Have a trash can cutout next to George.

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. PhiSlammaJamma

10,000 is a lot of people. Players are already giving high fives, sitting next to each other, and gathering. I don't see how 10,000 will be able to do it successfully, plus the case load is just too high right now. What happens on a foul ball. Does everyone just sit there lol.

jim1961 likes this.
  13. Senator

Senator Member

Let the ball come to you. No concessions. Don't come to the game if you have a cough and stick to yourself. It's not that hard, people are already doing it in major parts of the city or near shopping outlets.

Biggest luxury will when we have instantaneous covid result kits that don't require a nasal swab .... maybe just a finger prick.

14. Senator

Senator Member

It is the responsible thing to emphasize that cases are spiking because people didn't follow the social distance/mask instructions - not because people are leaving the house.

15. Major

Major Member

And 10,000 people aren't going to socially distance in a stadium. Even if you could somehow enforce it for 3 hours, you certainly won't when the game is over and everyone is exiting.

The benefits here to the city are ... none. And the potential cost is enormous - we see what having bars open did and how much its cost the country in lives and dollars. Why risk even one massive spike and delay reopening by months again so people can watch a baseball game? What an utterly stupid idea.

awc713 and deb4rockets like this.
  16. Senator

Senator Member

The whole point of a bar is wrong here - it is the opposite of social distancing and no one is wearing a mask inside one. You are part of the infected herd, maybe asymptomatic maybe not, that cannot control themselves for whatever reason and now we have to live in misery because of it. This is very easily doable if people like you stayed at home and those who could follow basic rules, nothing extravagant or complex, wanted to go have an experience. That's money prevented from being pumped back into the economy -- more reliance on handouts.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Do you want Sports to finish seasons? 10,000 people in a stadium is asking for players to get infected. Fans are not needed to enjoy the sport.

18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

That virtual fan thing is one of the most cringe-worthy segments I have ever seen.

Did anyone else think Kalas might get in some hot water for sipping that crawford bock on the zoom call? He seemed kind of lit up, too.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On the contrary, Karbach is thanking him for the extra free advertising... and the network won't mind since they're an official sponsor.... and he was sitting in his home.

20. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you crazy, 10,000 fans in the stands! We need those people to stay at Walmart and Home Depot where they are safe! There is no way we can risk this, now I have as lot more to say but I have dinner reservations with several of my friends at our favorite restaurant!!! ;););)