1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] MLB suspends spring training, delays Opening Day at least two weeks

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RKREBORN, Mar 12, 2020.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

From a competitive standpoint that’s too bad, we knock him around pretty good

msn likes this.
  2. The Beard

Yea I agree, not just Dusty but Strom shouldn’t either. Sad thing is if we as an organization said they couldn’t coach we would get ripped for it, if we don’t and something happens to them we will be ripped for it. In the end it’s their personal choice, but Crane should at least be pleasing with them to not.

As for the players, anything can happen, but it’s been very rare for healthy guys their age to have severe problems from this, for the ones who have no secondary conditions anyway. Good thing for them is they have the option to play or sit, and a huge majority of them have the financial security to do just that if they choose.

I am actually a little surprised out of all those players tested only 30 were positive. We have to remember they have been on their own in society and there is no doubt that many have been going about their daily lives like there are no issues for them. Now that they have reported I would think more of them will be a lot more careful when they aren’t at the park as they are hearing about staying home daily now I’m sure

The chance of an outbreak for a team is possible no doubt, but I’m not sure those who say it is absolutely going to happen aren’t thinking it out logically. 30 out of the whole league is positive with them on their own, and now they are moving into an arrangement where they will be constantly tested and monitored much more closely. It’s surely possible a team has an outbreak but it’s far from a given

Lastly, it sure would be nice to know if having it gives you immunity. Most think it will, at least for a certain period of time, but like everything else with this virus no one really knows for sure

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

4. The Beard

Guess that would be a lot better than that long q tip stuck deep in your nose

marks0223 likes this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

Honestly, Dusty probably should opt out, as should other coaches over 65. It’s a bit asinine and nothing short of reckless otherwise.

I know just the coach who could fill right in! I think it would go to Espada, especially with Hinch’s suspension, but we’ll see what happens. I don’t see how the season can be played with where things are in this country. Sad, really. This was the first July 4th where I was ashamed to be American. We have to do better as a country. It’s pathetic.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Washington Nationals canceled workouts today as results from their Friday coronavirus tests still have not shown up, sources tell ESPN.

Comes on the heels of the Oakland A's canceling a workout Sunday because of no results and testers not showing up to Angels camp, either.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. Screaming Fist

I'm still in "i'll believe it when I see it" mode when it comes to baseball this season. If they do go through with it, I just hope no one dies or has their career ended/ruined.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

lol all is well!

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If they don't go through this, I hope no one dies or has their career ended/ruined because they didn't play.

Edit: If MLB doesn't play a season, I expect players will still play games among themselves and go to baseball gyms. I don't worry about the games themselves adding additional risk. Travel and some other decisions may add risk. Hopefully, the testing and other protocols negats the risk.

#810 Joe Joe, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  11. Nook

Nook Member

So supposedly some of the testers never showed up to administer tests to the players around the league. If this is true, I can see why some of the players seriously question the ability of MLB to pull all of this off.... It is comical how bad baseball is in some ways when it comes to running the game.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If MLB can't make the tests work, there won't be an MLB season. I'm still surprised MLB plans to have the teams play at their home stadiums. Travel is going to be the toughest nut to crack if there is a season.

Nook likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Don’t they have a 15 minute test? I would think that MLB could make this happen.

I really don’t see how any major team sports Will be played this year. Maybe the NBA if they can get them in the bubble.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Will the Astros lose two more draft picks?

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

NBA's bubble seems to be the best idea. I thought the MLB would do something similar except have a bubble for each division.

RayRay10 and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Joe Joe likes this.
  18. The Beard

Yea an argument could be made that many of these guys will be in a better environment to not get the virus by playing. Obviously if they didn’t play, stayed home all the time, had groceries and supplies delivered, etc....they would be much less likely to get it

Fact is most wouldn’t. Heck Verlander was one of the guys playing the “all star” pick up games in Florida. Them being in an environment where they are tested daily and constantly urged to go home after games and not go out, will be a safer environment for many of these guys (not all)

That’s what so many don’t understand, so many have dug their heels in on this and think they know/have been told exactly the right thing to do. Fact is much of it is unknown. And these players aren’t machines, they are real people who make real decisions, expecting them all to stay home if the season doesn’t happen is as far from realism as you can get

19. The Beard

Astros were among the teams that didn’t have testers show up yesterday. Not that he would be the one scheduling all of this, but At some point the owners have to seriously question whether Manfred is the right man to lead MLB, in these crazy times, or even in normal times

20. msn

msn Member

Even if he was nailing the covid logistics, there is the issue of his corruptly scapegoating one franchise while hiding and glossing over the same damn thing done by other franchises.

Dude has unbelievably surpassed Bud Selig as the biggest sack of **** to ever occupy the commissioner's office.

The Beard likes this.