1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

thinking of cutting the cord

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bronxfan, Apr 15, 2020.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

FuboTv is currently $60 mo with no ESPN, ABC, or even TNT. I can't imagine what it could cost after adding just ABC and ESPN.

At higher price points I Almost feel like going back to cable after NBA comes back, or sticking with what I have (YouTube TV) and illegal stemming Rockets

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

And yeah I see what you're saying. I basically only pay for FUBO and 6.99 for Disney Plus. Got the hook up with netlix and hulu. It's perfect for me but I could see people getting cable packages similar for around 80 bucks or so.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yup. I think they went up $10/month last year and are going up another $10/month again this year. They're adding channels, but they're also dropping channels.

What have you thought about their service/quality?

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Honestly I haven't had any issues and everything's been pretty great. The dvr cloud storage isn't a lot but it's no biggie to me.

Quality of everything has been great.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Here’s my setup for free local over the air.

I bought an outdoor antenna and a powered signal booster from Amazon.

I installed them in the attic and found the cable junction splitter and put the powered signal booster in it’s place. I connected the input to the antenna.

I used tvfool.com to properly point the antenna.

I connected my tvs with tuners to the old cable jacks in each room and ran a scan. It’s amazing how many channels we have in Houston. I ended up with 127 total.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Be honest though, other than the local news channels (which are good for local sports sometimes) and maybe PBS for kids, most of the other channels are pretty trash unless you like old westerns or Spanish soaps, right?

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sure. But honestly I very very rarely watch terrestrial TV anyway. Streaming on demand is where it’s at. All of my kids watch YouTube. Waiting for a show or local news is so 20th century and for Gen X and older.

I will say that as diverse as Houston is, it’s cool to watch programming geared towards Asians, Indians and Africans.

#27 Xerobull, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Cord cutting now seems to be very much like switching energy providers... you can't stick with the same one over a year or you're subjected to price increases and lack of promotions.

There's still a lot of turnover in these companies.... which indicates that while it is an alternative, its highly unstable as far as getting a stable customer base. And that makes sense, as the more options are available to consumers, there is an increased chance that some streaming services won't get enough subscribers to stick with it.

Xerobull likes this.
  9. BALLhog 247 365

I wish Fubo hadn't dropped Turner ever so quietly...they had me excited for a second when they announced the addition of ESPN

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

I had some sort of cable/u-verse for decades.

Cancelled it in 2016.
    Netflix + amazon prime + well u know...

I don’t care for live tv. It’s mostly commercials and bullsht reality tv. I don’t care for sports that much to pay for BSPN/TNT.

nba league pass plus a smart DNS is all u need for rockets games on Apple TV.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Mostly just illegal streaming and Netflix + Hulu + Amazon + Disney+ for me.

12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Agreed also on an earlier point. A lot of these streaming channels and providers are only going to get more expensive.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Best Streaming apps for me in 2020:
    CBS All Access- classic shows for you like the odd couple
    HBO MAX- 50/50 on quality shows and movies so it maxes out, lol
    Shudder- Horror fix new and old
    Criterion Channel- For the cinephiles
    PeaCOCK- free with comcast users, no brainer.

14. what

what Member

I don't even watch TV anymore. I just post on forums watch Unix YouTube channels, and learning old Unix computer utilities: sed, awk and grep.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

So, I've heard of IPTV, I suppose it's similar to what KODI was but for live TV. It may or may not be legal to watch, (likely legal to watch) but illegal to stream or sell. I'm sure there are plenty of people here especially who might have some more insight on it? I've heard upwards of 8000 channels (im sure a lot of that is local tv in different cities). I would imagine it would be loads cheaper than Cable or streaming services.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

But how do you internet when you have not internetz?

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Babies who never get their cord cut, usually end up in a freak show or circus act. Cut it brother. Cut it.

18. VanityHalfBlack

I'd say about 86% of the time the streams work. I wouldn't pay for it though.

19. what

what Member

I had to get internet back on my phone, which I did when I upgraded to my unlocked pixel 4 phone. I left TMobile to go to Sprint's Kickstarter plan which was $35 for everything.
    The internet is a necessary evil, I wish I could go cold turkey. My computer is a black screen with a command prompt no internet on it and has been for at least a year now, so I won't be changing that soon.
    Today I was looking at the u.s. robotics 56k modems, to see if I could hook that up to my computer for updatez. Lol, you can do it.
    So yeah I had to get internet back. Initially I had Wi-Fi on my car but that was inconvenient and when I upgraded my phone I saw the unlimited Kickstarter plan which was cheap and so I thought I'd use that.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Someone explain the cost/benefit analysis of MLB and NBA blacking out local games on their respective streaming platforms. I get they have deals with RSNs and maybe they are under existing deals with them, but can't there be some sort of compromise in pricing to where I can pay for MLB.tv or NBA league pass and watch local teams? Rather than being bent over by the pricing and fees of the cable companies just so I can get access to the RSN.

In other words, are the leagues making out that much better financially from the RSN/cable tv deals than they would if more people paid for their streaming apps (and perhaps charged a little more than they do now)?