1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Election 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, May 13, 2020.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

If the Republican Party could stop pandering to racists they could attract a good chunk asian and Hispanic vote. But yea...

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I see what you're saying. It's less soul-searching and more survival focused, and I also hear Major's rejoinder to that.

If something like the Lincoln Project grows in popularity, it could really motivate a push back to Reagan-style conservatism versus the tea-party/Trump/conspiracy-theory version of the GOP. But I worry that's just wishful thinking or even nostalgia on my part, and I say that as someone who was no big fan of Reagan's GOP. LOL.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe there is a better term than “Soul Searching” but most people don’t engage in soul searching without facing an existential crisis.

Following up on what Ccorn wrote it wasn’t that long ago that Republicans took most of the Asian American vote and a good chunk of the Hispanic vote. Conservative values of small government and traditional social mores do have a lot of appeal to immigrant communities but those are overshadowed by the xenophobia of the current party. I think it will be a matter of survival for the GOP to broaden their message. If they don’t change the end of the GOP might not come this election of the next one but demographics alone means it can’t survive as a national party of just old, white and Christian

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I just read this Newsweek article that discusses turmoil in the Republic party as Trump appears to be floundering.
    https://apple.news/APS5NUYA6Tpu-9MmtDIl2-A
    I’m on my phone so not posting the text.
    For SamFisher, Sweet Lou and Jiggfly I will note the irony of me simultaneously arguing in one thread that Trump could still win while saying the GOP is doomed in another.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Both can be true The mean scenario looks to be a solid Biden win with Dems narrowing, but maybe not quite overcoming the gap in the Senate. But then there are the +/- 2 standard deviations cases, which looks to be Trump somehow pulling out an Electoral win while losing the popular vote again on one end, and a complete GOP wipeout at all levels on the other.

[​IMG]

jiggyfly, rocketsjudoka and B-Bob like this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

If biden wins, so be it. I wont spend 4 years on clutchfans b****ing and moaning about every silly thing. We need to hope our presidents do well. It will be nice not having the media gripe 24/7.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Which silly things would those be? The Russians paying bounties to kill American troops or story after story about the President lying his ass off?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Trump would have succeeded if we all just hoped a little more.

CometsWin, NewRoxFan and R0ckets03 like this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Obama had "hope" and i bet you think he did better than trump.

10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

11. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

No comparison. Trump will go down in history as worst president ever for a variety of reasons. He is just a horrible person PERIOD.

12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

I wish I could this presidency

NewRoxFan likes this.
  13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Would be so good if she beats that turtle

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

TBH, your inability to hold Trump in any way responsible for the planet's response to him is pretty amazing. As if he was just a nice, competent fellow who happened to run into some mean people. It's a lot like Trump's inability to hold himself responsible for any of his deeds or words. Most of what our media does, you know, is just report exactly what he says and does. LOL.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who is to say that their current strategy won't keep paying dividends? They infamously wrote a post mortem after 2012 only to nominate Donald Trump four years later. I saw a projection recently that said, if current trends hold, something like 22% of the population could control 60 Senate seats and that trend skews toward the GOP. It's why they fight the idea of DC and Puerto Rico statehood tooth and nail. Mitch McConnell has shown how a hard line party representing a minority of Americans can gum up the governing process toward its own ends while waiting for our squirrel-like attention span to forget he was behind the wheel the entire time.

#295 mtbrays, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    jiggyfly, Andre0087, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  16. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I have admitted he says and tweets inappropriate things and said i wish he wouldnt. That will probably cost him the election. If trump's actions were performed by a communicator like obama I would be ecstatic. We all know that some of us here arent on the "condemn everything" trump does team. He would have been a much more liked prez during a less social media dependent age.

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Dude Nixon did better job than Trump, pretty much every president in the past 100 years has done better than him.

DVauthrin likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The fact that Mitch McConnell is facing a tough race shows how demographics are changing. As I said again they can certainly hold on for awhile but seeing what happened in 2018 where Democrat were winning in even heavily gerrymandered districts shows that things are changing.

jiggyfly and mtbrays like this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

It's not just his tweets. Consider his haphazard and contradictory policy regarding dealing with COVID-19. His abandoning US allies while making moves that benefit US rivals. His going around Congress to take money from the military to build the wall. His going around Congress to sell weapons to the Saudis. His costly trade war that required bailing out US Farmers while essentially getting the US nothing. His lifting sanctions on Chinese Telecoms.. I could go on but I think this gives the flavor of Trump's actions.

Even if Twitter didn't exist this would be a bad Presidency. The fact that Twitter exist and Tweets are actually official Presidential records makes this a horrible Presidency.

the11mingdynasty and DVauthrin like this.
  20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree! But, for all of the reported "soul-searching" the party has done over the years, they keep doubling down on what caused the need for the introspection. Power is intoxicating, I guess.

Major likes this.