1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I love it. Keep throwing your core under the bus until it's only you and your wardrobe praisers left.

Trump Officials: Some States Skipped Reopening Guidelines

Fauci warns 100,000 new Covid cases a day possible

“I am quite concerned about what we are seeing evolve in four states,” Anthony Fauci told the Senate health panel, without naming the states.

[​IMG]

Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

By BRIANNA EHLEY

06/30/2020 12:13 PM EDT

Updated: 06/30/2020 01:12 PM EDT

Facebook
    The government's top infectious disease expert on Tuesday said the U.S. is "not in total control" of the coronavirus pandemic and suggested 100,000 new infections a day are possible without more safeguards.

Anthony Fauci, the director for the National Institute on Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told a Senate health committee hearing that the outbreak is moving in the "wrong direction" and expressed alarm about spikes in states he said may have relaxed social distancing and lockdowns too early so they could restart their economies.

"Clearly, we are not in control right now," Fauci said. He suggested new cases could sore to 100,000 a day, from the roughly 40,000 new cases now reported daily, if the U.S. can't contain disease spread.

Arizona, California, Florida and Texas have each had to roll back reopening plans amid a surge of new infections and hospitalizations. Fauci said half of the new cases nationwide have been reported in those states.

He suggested that people who ignored social distancing and didn't wear face coverings have contributed to community spread, even in states that have closely followed reopening guidelines laid out by the Centers for Disease Control.

“I think we need to emphasize the responsibility we have as individuals and as part of a societal effort to end the epidemic and that we all have to play a part in that,” Fauci said.

CDC Director Robert Redfield and Assistant Secretary for Health Adm. Brett Giroir also expressed concern about the surge of new infections and death and said people have to more closely follow safeguards.

"It is critical that we all take personal responsibility to slow the transmission of Covid and embrace the universal use of face coverings," Redfield said.

Vice President Mike Pence over the weekend begin wearing a mask in public while Republican lawmakers including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell have begun encouraging the use of masks as cases surge in many red states. However, President Donald Trump has yet to embrace mask wearing or encourage the public to wear face coverings.

There are roughly 2.6 million confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. and nearly 130,000 deaths. CDC Principal Deputy Director Anne Schuchat, the No. 2 official at the agency, on Monday told a medical journal that "we are not even beginning to be over this."

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

That apple didn't fall far from the tree. His dad is nuttier than he is...

3. Xerobull

This political cartoon is so dead on it's silly.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Maybe, that's open to debate. But I don't think Ron Paul would ever say to discount the word of medical experts.

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Rand Paul shows the entire world he is an idiot every time he opens his mouth.

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

This is par for the course for her. She’s lucky she governs a state with a lower population and population density compared to other states, so its case counts and death tolls look better than most.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's OK. people will want to wear masks to keep the smoke out from the forest fire set off by the fireworks.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

RayRay10, Rashmon and Xerobull like this.
  10. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Good luck with that. From a buddy in the medical field, doctors have been told they cannot ask whether infected patients attended the protests, which sounds consistent with what's happening in other states. Not to derail this thread politically, but this seems very counterproductive to me?

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. oelman44

oelman44 Member

I'm sorry, but are we really going to pretend that thousands crowding the streets in mass protests all around the country for weeks had absolutely nothing to do with corona cases rising? That just seems... stick your head in the sand silly. Like we can't just acknowledge that the importance of urgent social change outweighed the personal risk tolerance for many people, mostly young and not at risk? That's a completely valid thing, and it seems like for the most part, protesters did a good job of trying to maintain some social distancing/wearing masks. But to pretend the effect is literally zero? I swear the political parties of this country are obsessed with their perfect, non-scientific narratives...

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Dr. Paul: Not board-certified, but self-certified
    Asked by a Louisville reporter when he would explain his dubious certification, Rand Paul said: "Uh ... never"
    https://www.salon.com/2010/06/14/rand_2/

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  13. oelman44

oelman44 Member

America needs a new 'separate the state and science' initiative ASAP. This whole ordeal has just been... depressing as an American. It really feels like almost nothing and no one out there is trustworthy - everything has some sort of political slant.

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  14. Xerobull

Right. Ron, not Rand, is an MD.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure about you all, but I entered acceptance stage months ago. People are dumb and driven by ideology and whatever numbers they want to believe (makes them feel better). All we can do is look after ourselves and minimize our risk.

DVauthrin, RayRay10 and JumpMan like this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure why doctors need to know that, unless they are part of the contact tracing effort. If contact tracers cannot ask for and get contact lists, they would not be able to do their job to warn others to monitor and slow down the spread.

ps. I take all personal account as anecdotal and I hope this is false or at least is very limited - and your buddy should report it if indeed it interfere with contact tracing...

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The assumptions and it make common sense, is that it would contribute to spread. We are waiting for data / studies to reflect if it does that. So far, nothing yet that indicate that AFAIK while there are indications that it has not contributed. I don't think we should be sticking to assumptions and common sense if data show otherwise.

Ziggy and RayRay10 like this.
  18. oelman44

oelman44 Member

https://www.thecity.nyc/coronavirus...protest-questions-even-amid-fears-of-new-wave

The hundreds of contact tracing workers hired by the city under de Blasio’s new “test and trace” campaign have been instructed not to ask anyone who’s tested positive for COVID-19 whether they recently attended a demonstration, City Hall confirmed to THE CITY.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

True. And I'm not beating my chest about that, I just thought it was silly that people seem to be admonished for even entertaining the idea that the protests likely lead to some corona spread. Though clearly, many of the people repeating and stuck on that fact do not have very good intentions. Very divisive times.

RayRay10 and Amiga like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's a huge missed opportunity to see if protest has an effect. That's too bad as that would be very useful data. However, they can and do ask for contact, so it should not interfere with the contact tracers job to warn and their effort to slow down the spread. You would think something that has been in a protest would said... yea, I have been in contact with many many ppl at these locations...

RayRay10 likes this.