1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets cut Isaiah Hartenstein

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 23, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Time to bring in 7'0 Dragan Bender, former 4th overall pick is more skilled and much better fit.

And still only 22.

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I find it hard to believe we couldn't have gotten a 2nd rounder for him this season after some beastly games and buzz around the league. 29 other teams value a young, skilled 7"1 player with a soft touch on rookie contract

BigShasta and Hank McDowell like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

It’s actually not that hard to believe. If he isn’t even claimed off waivers by this weekend, that even solidifies his lack of value on a non guaranteed contract

#163 YOLO, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  4. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

G League Finals MVP has 0 value in the NBA? What's the point of the G-League again? When given starter minutes this season he was producing better than a few starting 5's in the league. I get that he had more developing to do, but I think his value and potential warranted some sort of asset.

Knicks fans would love his heart alone. We'll see what the market says, but even if he doesn't get picked up this week, doesn't mean the Rockets didn't miss an opportunity to sell high. And by sell high, I mean getting one of the least valuable assets in the league. in a 2nd rounder I feel he belongs in this league, maybe not with the Rockets, but he belongs with someone.

Little Bit and BigShasta like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

The list of guys who won the g-league award doesn’t really guarantee anything. The most successful one to date is siakim. Everyone else never made it to the league or didnt last long at all. Remember Nick Johnson. G-league is pick up basketball filled with guys who either don’t want to go over seas or hold onto hope they can get into the nba at some point

Said this before, if he latches on somewhere else good for him. We’ll see for sure if anyone even wants him in the next day or so when anyone is able to claim him for free on a non guaranteed deal. It doesn’t get any easier than that. At this point a 2nd round pick for him? No way

#165 YOLO, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  6. HROZ

HROZ Member

Is Bruno still on the team?

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

small ball all-in, no beefy bigs now

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Like Easy said, I hope this isn't a Covington move. There are easily 4 or 5 guys I would have rather cut before Hart.

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I was more referring to when he was putting up big games like the 17/15/5 when given starter's minutes. It wasn't long ago that Ihart was getting buzz around the league by capitalizing on the limited opportunities he was being given. I know G league accomplishments mean little, but they do mean something. Also, I think if another team was trying to get something for him they would have an easier time than us because everyone knows our future is going small.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

if we're talking about something over the course of an entire year, then yeah maybe you can start with things like getting 2nd round picks. Having 3-4 games that were here and there doesn't do much. There wasn't exactly buzz around the league. it's just buzz on cf's in the same cycle of overhyping certain guys at the end of the bench, always hoping to find something year after year. another name added to the running list

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

But get this, the fans are the ones that aren't patient.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or Gleague is the last resort in a pandemic. ;)

Also keep old arse Tyson Chandler as long as possible for fun so he can watch small ball run up and down from the sidelines.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

IHart will clear waivers at 4pm today if no team submitted a claim

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If his contract doesn't get picked up off of waivers essentially for free, what makes you think a team would give up a 2nd rounder? It's not like we had a lot of games to develop him and up his value at this point. The Rockets clearly put him on the block and no one bit.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I will be beyond shocked if he’s not claimed. The game has changed so much, but it’s hard for me to imagine that a young guy with that size and skill set, on a nothing contract, wouldn’t find a place somewhere almost immediately.

16. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I really don't get the hate on this move. It was one more meaningless domino to fall. You guys really think that if small ball doesn't work out, Hartenstein was gonna be our savior? He showed some promise, but c'mon yall... He's no Capela, let alone Yao or Hakeem.

D-rock likes this.
  17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I don't like this move. Heart over skills, anyone watch "The Last Dance" I actually didn't because Rockets never mentioned, but did listen to awesome music at the end 'Present Tense.' If Mad Max had Jordan's mentality, we'd be talking about "The Dream Dance".

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't' think people are expecting him to be the savior. Most people think that the team should at least keep an option of playing a big man when the match up warrants it. Some people believe that the kid has shown potential to be developed into Capela level value (with a totally different skill set, of course). Capela wasn't that useful in his first two seasons either. How high is his ceiling is debatable nobody can be sure.

Many people, maybe most people, here have embraced the small ball strategy. Even those who don't like it kind of understand why it is necessary given Westbrook's poor outside shooting and our defensive scheme. What a lot of people are questioning is the stripping away every option other than small ball. That seems to be counter intuitive. If you have an AK47 and a handgun, it's reasonable to use the AK47 as your main weapon. But why do you want to throw away the handgun for no reason? Championship teams usually have multiple ways to win. One dimensional teams usually don't go very far.

19. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

The country is still in apocalypse mode and there's strong analytics that have sports turning disappointing profits. If it weren't for this, Hartenstein would still be on the team. I know it's better to pretend it's business as usual but it's not just that. This pandemic seems to have no end.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

This didn't have anything to do with IHart whatsoever. not even sure why you bothered posting this