1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cord cutters thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Feb 19, 2018.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Seriously? ****.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

PlayStation Vue will shut down on January 30

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm officially cord cutting. My family got this android box and these 4k firesticks loaded up with an IPTV for $120 a year that has pretty much every channel known to man. I mean it has everything including live sports.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

How is the quality though? I think it may be time for me just need the right firestick

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

HD quality streams. I ran into some buffering issues when I was watching some NBA games with the fire sticks because of wifi, but I changed to another channel showing the same game and it was fine. The Android box had no issue since it was plugged directly into the tower.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Cannot wait for the ROckets/Astros channels to go elsewhere besides FuboTV. The quality of that app is horrendous compared to Youtube/Hulu/etc.

8. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

lot of IPTV providers are pure dogshit. switched to FUBO.

DreamShook likes this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah I agree but this one that was given to me is great. I'm not asking any questions.

10. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Nice lol. Good deal.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Now that the Rockets are no longer on National TV, I finally got around to breaking out of the League Pass blackouts with VPN for a TV.
    • It’s very simple for computers, but a little tricky for stand-alone TV setups.
    • Got ExpressVPN and a relatively inexpensisive router that was on their supported list for installation.
    • Very fast
    • I’m an Apple TV fan (the device), so it’s connected to the TV, with NBALP App
    • The simple method (called “Smart DNS”) didn’t work on the Apple TV, but the router method worked like a charm, and that method seamlessly supports all devices with no limits
    • Failure of the “Smart DNS” approach might just be my problem, though. I would recommend trying it b4 buying the router, per ExpressVPN suggestions.

• The NBA app is much improved — excellent DVR 15sec jump, and smooth FF up to 4x.
    Wow, I didn’t realize how happy I’d be to get rid of the Xfinity interface and clunky DVR fast forwarding. I’m in Houston, so ATT Sportnest is available, but the DVR experience was impossible. The math of the costs to drop ATT Sportsnet v NBALP and VPN, comes out as a savings, and it’s a *significant savings* if you don’t watch the Astros (that is, a Oct-April user only). They get you with those hidden Regional Sports broadcast fees. LP for one team is cheaper. And the Apple TV is cheaper than the DVR rental or TiVo, etc.

#171 heypartner, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m interested in doing this, I pay $70 to fubo to only watch the Rockets(and Astros in season). Already have ExpressVPN and only watch the games on my laptop as it is. So NBAtv comes with a DVR? I usually start watching from the beginning of the game about an hour after it’s started.

13. heypartner

Yeah, LP is a DVR interface with archives of all past games from your subscription. I think the Premium LP gives you archives from previous season, too.

There used to be a gotcha on watching Live games on delay. Not sure if it still exists. The gotcha is if you don’t catchup before the end of the games, it would stop and go into “Game is Archiving” mode, not letting you finish. That might not exist anymore. I’ll have to report back.

BigM likes this.
  14. heypartner

btw: it’s more than $70, right? Because of the hidden Regional Sports broadcasting fees that are added??

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No it’s 70 bucks for everything including the tax. $69 to be fair. But I’m pretty sure I signed up at $49 a few years ago so there’s the $20. I think cable gets you with the extra 20 regional fee on top of whatever the base month is. I like Fubo but it really isn’t a saving money option at all. Attsportnet with a stand-alone app would be gold.

Will have to look into the MLB package as well. Really I’ve just been lazy about it.

heypartner likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How do I watch college football without the cord (already been cut)? What all do I need? YouTube's offering wont get me ABC?

17. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

It does

Ziggy likes this.
  18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

19. Buck Turgidson

You had me at free sports and free pron.

But seriously, that just gave me flashbacks to my old housemate in Houston. He had a little contraption, plug-in to the pc, that would program the SIM cards for DirecTV receivers using a downloaded script that he got from somewhere. Us, his parents, brother, and a couple of friends had free everything for 5 years or so. Wasn't my deal, but I wasn't going to tell him to *not* do it.

All the while, the US govt was building their case, and they raided the manufacturer or distributor of said contraption, which had no other use beside stealing TV. They had the list of everyone who had purchased the contraption, and my buddy/his dad ended up paying about $20K in fines. I asked him "did you ever think about a PO box and a cashier's check?" Nope, put it on his card and had it mailed to his dad's office, where it was signed for.

It was fun while it lasted.

mtbrays and jiggyfly like this.
  20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Did you get a separate router for this? Or is this relatively inexpensive one your main router?

I would like a setup like this, but I use ProtonVPN which I very much like. I could always pay for an additional VPN during the season if I must, but I would rather not.

The reason I ask about the router is because while for me it would be fine to just setup ProtonVPN on my router and watch LP India that way, my wife often does schoolwork at night and her school's sites usually don't play well with a VPN. So I can't just have the entire wifi network be set to India.