1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2020 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Bear_Bryant, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

They have a lot of input. Click is used to a committee approach and let’s them have their say. There are differences, but what he did at Tampa and what the Astros do isn’t that different. Click is more of a risk taker while Luhnow looks for a more well rounded approach when it comes to the draft and minor league development.

What I like about Click is that he is open to new ideas and changes in the game. I don’t think he has that ruthless and controlling personality that Luhnow had and that could cause issues down the line for Click... but if he can keep everyone focused we should be in solid shape.

FWIW I prefer Click’s approach in the international draft and market. We too often let some really high end talent go to other organizations because we had so much faith in development that we targeted more guys but not the very best. Campo was shown the door because our development wasn’t good enough.

I like our draft. We got a pitcher that could have gone in the first round in the third round. Outside of two other arms, Santos was equal to all the other high school arms.

We took a reliever that should move up the system fast. He is mentally tough, throws strikes and has good stuff. He didn’t go higher because relievers are marginalized and because he threw 95 instead of 100 mph. Relievers that are projectable are solid middle round picks as long as you don’t take too many.

Daniels was the most questionable pick to me. He has a very high fizzle rate. He was marginal in college. Again we see Click and his willingness to take the high end gamble. Click loves speed off the bat. Daniels had the second highest velocity off the bat in the draft.

I don’t know how anyone can not like the Whitcomb pick. Astros think he can be a starter and has a high ceiling.

The Beard, awc713, King1 and 4 others like this.
  2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jonathan Sprinkle, a RHP from Central Missouri, has signed with the Astros.

The Beard and Mr.Pringles like this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Just taking a quick look at Sprinkle's college stats... this is what popped out.

K/9
    2018 12.2
    2019 15.0
    2020 16.6

He was a closer in 2019 and a starter in the abbreviated 2020 season.

Mr.Pringles likes this.
  4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Houston Astros 2020 Draft Class/Undrafted Free Agent Signings

Status as of June 17

Round 2, Pick 72: Alex Santos II, RHP, Mount St. Michael Academy (Bronx, New York)
    Round 3, Pick 101: Tyler Brown, RHP, Vanderbilt
    Round 4, Pick 131: Zach Daniels, OF, Tennessee
    Round 5, Pick 160: Shay Whitcomb, SS, UC San Diego

All four have indicated that they will sign.

Undrafted Free Agent Signings

Jimmy Endersby, RHP, Concordia University Irvine
    Justin Dirden, OF, Southeast Missouri St
    Cesar Gomez, RHP, UT-Arlington
    Peter Zimmermann, IF, Missouri
    Jonathan Sprinkle, RHP, Central Missouri
    Cody Orr, OF, Tiffin
    Kyle Gruller, RHP, Houston Baptist
    Zack Matthews, RHP, Oklahoma
    J.C. Correa, IF, Lamar

#84 tellitlikeitis, Jun 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Stole from the Orange Whoop Ass Forum:

According to The Athletic, Endersby had 20 teams knocking on his door and he chose the Astros because of their reputation in analytics and being able to develop pitchers. Gomez (signed by Jim Stevenson) also signed with the Astros because of his belief that they would be able to develop him due to a focus on technology and spin rates.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[Astros.com] Astros reach deals with 7 undrafted players
    By Brian McTaggart @brianmctaggart
    June 15, 2020

Here’s a closer look at the seven players who have reached agreements:

Justin Dirden, OF, Southeast Missouri
    Dirden, a 6-foot-4 left-handed hitter, hit .414 with nine home runs, 26 RBIs and 20 runs scored in only 17 games for the Redhawks, slugging .900 before the shutdown. Dirden ranked second in the nation in home runs and led the Ohio Valley Conference in hits (29), home runs, RBIs, total bases (63), and stolen bases (nine).

Before playing two years at Southeast Missouri, Dirden spent time at East Carolina and Jefferson College.

Jimmy Endersby, RHP, Concordia University Irvine
    Endersby, who throws his fastball 92-95 mph and has a hard curveball, was the ace of Division II Concordia Irvine’s pitching staff during the shortened season. He started five games and posted a 1.88 ERA with 37 strikeouts in 28 2/3 innings. Endersby transferred to Concordia from Cal State Fullerton.

“The Astros know something about pitching that other teams don't,” Endersby said. “They develop guys to become monsters and big leaguers, and I believe my strengths fit their philosophies.”

Cesar Gomez, RHP, Texas-Arlington
    A two-way player who transferred following two years at North Central Texas College, Gomez appeared in eight games in relief this year, saving four games. He threw 8 2/3 innings and struck out six batters while holding opponents to a .214 batting average. Gomez struck out the side against Dallas Baptist on Feb. 25.

As a junior last year, Gomez struck out 33 hitters and walked 24 in 52 2/3 innings, mostly in relief, and posted a 5.13 ERA as a pitcher, while appearing in 31 games as a utility player. His fastball sits around 94-97 mph, and he features a changeup and curveball.

Kyle Gruller, RHP, Houston Baptist
    Gruller was 1-2 with a 2.70 ERA and 36 strikeouts in 23 1/3 innings in four starts this year. A Houston-area native, he was a preseason All-Southland Conference first team selection after going 3-3 with a 2.18 ERA and .207 opponents’ batting average as a junior.

Cody Orr, OF, Tiffin University
    A two-way player at Division II Tiffin, Orr hit .412 with 10 runs scored, two homers, 10 RBIs, eight walks and five steals in nine games this year as a junior. He also threw one scoreless inning on the mound. As a sophomore in 2019, Orr hit .349 with 55 runs and 29 RBIs and set a school record with 88 1/3 innings on the mound, going 6-1 with a 5.09 ERA in 15 appearances (14 starts).

Jonathan Sprinkle, RHP, Central Missouri
    As a junior this year, Sprinkle appeared in eight games (three starts) and was 2-0 with a 3.86 ERA and one save. He threw 23 1/3 innings, allowing 17 hits and 10 runs with 43 strikeouts. Last year, he averaged 14.9 strikeouts per nine innings for Division II Central Missouri, which is the alma mater of Astros owner Jim Crane.

Peter Zimmermann, INF, Missouri
    A transfer from San Jacinto College in east Houston, Zimmermann hit .333 with four homers, 17 RBIs and a .433 on-base percentage in 16 games for Missouri this year. As a junior, he hit .287 with 10 doubles, seven homers and 34 RBIs as the Tigers’ designated hitter.

9. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Santos sounds like a great pick. Excited to follow him.

I appreciate Click's more risk tolerant approach and applaud the Daniels pick. Didn't he make some off season adjustments to justify his great start to the 2020 season? Love the upside.

Hey Franklin Perez and Daz Cameron - who needs ya!

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

With Ronnie Dawson, Jordan Brewer, and now Zach Daniels... the Astros have an idea of what they want in US amateur outfielders: 3.5/4 tools and the hope that they'll hit enough

Tyler Brown has made it official.

#90 tellitlikeitis, Jun 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Don’t know anything about J.C. (is he a legit prospect?), but this looks like a goodwill move to appease Carlos. Interesting that BAL was in on him, though. Correa’s size is what made him such a bonafide cant miss prospect...Looks like his little brother is just that...little. Listed at 5’11” 190lb isn’t shabby, but it looks like Carlos got all the physical genes in the family.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think JC Correa is a legit signable prospect and in a normal year would have been considered in the last few rounds by many teams. But he doesn’t have any real standout tools so the expectation for now should be that he gets a season or two in the lower levels.

Nook likes this.
  14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

15. Nook

Nook Member

At this point it appears the Astros had a very solid first draft under Click, especially in light of the circumstances.

At the end of the day, it will be judged (and should be) on production but at this point the draft is better than expected.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Im ok with it. It’s fairly easy to see a path to the majors for every player, and each player has a realistic ceiling to at least be an everyday/core piece.

17. Nook

Nook Member

This is how I feel as well. This draft may produce nothing when it was all said and done but at this point it looks better than I anticipated after hearing some of what was going on internally. Between the sign stealing scandal, the loss of the GM and other personnel, the infighting and then COVID and limited draft resources.... it looks decent.

They think Santos can be a #1-3 starter if he avoids injury and his delivery is cleaned up....... Brown is someone that they are confident will be a big league pitcher because he pounds the zone, is bright and had above average stuff.... they claim they will give him a look as a starter, but at worse see him an a pen arm..... Daniels is like trying to catch lightening in the bottle. He checked off the boxes with bat speed and power, but really has never shown anything (IMO).... Whitcomb is who they would have taken had Daniels not been there at #131...

So time will tell... and they have had some very quality free agent signings as well.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If we get one solid Mlb player out of this draft it will have been a great success

raining threes, awc713 and Nook like this.
  19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

JC Correa is a legit minor league prospect, he’s more than just Carlos little brother, he actually has some ability. I don’t know if he has enough to make the majors or not, but I think he could be a utility infielder one day. I don’t know if he has enough upside to be an every day major league starter, my guess is probably not, but I do think he has the potential to develop and move up in the system. I’m looking forward to seeing how he does.

awc713 and Astrodome like this.
  20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member