1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. HTM

HTM Member

I wonder what level of death will be necessary for the overwhelming common sentiment to shift and see the country go back into late March/April mode.

I just got some ice cream from Baskin Robbins. My experience correlated with what I’ve been seeing. A large percentage of folks not even bothering to wear masks anymore when they visit establishments.

Makes me think the public (writ large) thinks the level of death they’ve seen so far is acceptable.

Jontro likes this.
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need a better governor than that Abbot pos. Judge Lina tried to implement a mask law but all the Karen's stopped that and that weak ass mayor.

We need a mandatory mask law right now. We are testing 100's of people with asymptomatic or mild symptoms. The lines are outside the building and people are paying 175 cash for it. Out the 120, there was 10 positive.

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't think they see it that way. I think it's more like 'if I haven't gotten it, no one I personally know has gotten it and no one that they know has gotten it, then...what's the big deal? We don't need masks!'

Coincidentally, it mirrors the social movement going on right now; if I've never or barely experienced racism, then it can't be that big of a deal, right?

Ziggy, peleincubus, bcast89 and 2 others like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Testing costs that much??

Jontro likes this.
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Te
    redneck country club

6. what

what Member

I mean people need to take it more seriously, but at the same time, most people really would rather face death than change their lifestyle. I don't know what the exit strategy is at this point, but people are pretty resigned to live despite the risk.

Jontro likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

it's really unfortunate what's happening in the states. some younger and developing countries that look up to america must be very confused and disappointed on the way many people are handling it. im in a developing country and have spoken to the common locals and when i try to convince them to take the necessary safety protocols, some argue well look at america. such a shame the mighty murica is having these difficulties.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think that stats shift public opinions nearly as much as images and, yes, narratives do. When we once again see stories of hospitals getting overwhelmed-- and this time not just in NYC but in multiple locations across the states, doctors having to stop treating patients to save the ones with higher probability for survival, freezer trucks called in because of full morgues, etc., then people will feel a sense of urgency.

1000 people a day dying in a country of 300+ million might feel like a drop in a bucket. The vast majority of us have not experienced or seen people among our own family/friends dying or put on ventilators for COViD19-- makes the danger seem remote.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2287 new cases in Texas today -- this is really starting to pop.

Ziggy likes this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Some of you acting like this is the Spanish Flu

11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure if you are saying you think we are underselling it or overselling it.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bro what you talkin bout, we freeeeeeee over here son.

Them commie sh*t hole countries mirin us harder than ever.

Jontro likes this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He thinks we are overselling it (COVID).

It's just the sniffles you p*****s, MAN UP.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I said this a few months somewhere in this thread or another. But most people here eventually will have someone they know and care about in some capacity become very ill or pass from this.

So far i know three people have gone to the ICU for this. One is better, one lost a leg, and another passed. This may not be as severe as that virus from 100 years ago. But it’s awful. My friends mom will be in a wheel chair for the rest her life unfortunately.

FrontRunner, mikol13 and Ziggy like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is talking about the South Asian muslim countries, lmao

Jontro likes this.
  16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why are masks recommended, but not gloves?

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

because you don't get sick if your hands get in direct contact with the virus

18. elrond

elrond Member

If you have the virus, wearing a mask will help protect the people you are around and reduce the 'blast radius' of a sneeze or cough. You can look up videos online showing the difference. This is in addition to the benefit of at least reducing your exposure, or increasing the chance of blocking the virus from directly entering your mouth/nose. Is it foolproof or 100% protection? Of course not, but to me any incremental protection is worth the inconvenience. The general antagonism towards masks is still just mystifying to me. I guess that's the problem with it becoming a political symbol. I get that they're uncomfortable, and it's even worse now that the temperature is getting higher, but if people are trying to avoid lockdown seems like they should be taking every possible precaution. Really don't want to see everywhere turning into NYC when Covid was at its peak. The images of hospitals being overwhelmed, bodies being kept in refrigeration trucks, testimonies from morgue workers is just horrifying.

I think gloves are a bit more complicated. The general recommendation for hands is to wash them regularly and use sanitizer. However, if you're wearing gloves, you can't really wash your hands with gloves on, unless you are changing them frequently. If you're not changing them frequently, then you are still touching a lot of different surfaces and possibly exposing yourself to virus particles that you might otherwise wash away. Really depends on how wearing or not wearing gloves affects the behavior of the individual person.

Jontro and arkoe like this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yep, majority are being sent by their employers and told to get cleared before returning to work. Just because 1 employee tested positive. It's like black Friday out here, people are camping outside

20. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

What bothers me more than people not wearing masks are the people "wearing" them completely incorrectly... what's the freaking point

robbie380, mikol13 and arkoe like this.