1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Graphic: Death shown] I found a genuine reason for armed protests.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fchowd0311, May 26, 2020.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm a very sympathetic dude. I have a Johnny Cash-esque soft spot for people who ruin their own lives by being stupid, evil, or both. Folsom Prison Blues, Cocaine Blues, Devil's Right Hand, I Hung My Head, Mercy Seat, Don't Take Your Guns to Town. Obviously, I feel bad as well for George Floyd and his family, and all those bystanders who watched through this traumatic murder. As I said in that post, Floyd needs justice, which means these cops do hard time. And I don't know why they did what they did but they are going to suffer greatly for it. And I think it's sad that people can get themselves into a place where they do very evil and irreconcilable things and then must suffer for it. So I feel bad for them too even as I say they must endure it. Not sure what's wrong with feeling bad for evil people. That might be me someday, getting myself wound up in some very sinful business and then being made to pay the consequence.

JumpMan and FrontRunner like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Found another video showing the technique. I don't know who this guy is so won't vouch for him but he refers to the control with knee on head as "arresting position" and does say he's worked with LE. This video isn't about controlling with knee on head but he shows it and describes it starting at the 5:30 mark.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. WNBA

WNBA Member

the country of human rights..

JuanValdez likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

For those wondering there already is a large protest at the site of the killing.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL controlled knee on head <> full weight on your knee on neck

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's already come out that this was not taught.

Minneapolis police policy on "Neck Restraints"

"...Compressing one or both sides of a persons neck with an arm or leg , without applying direct pressure to the trachea or airway.."

"...Shall not be used against subjects who are passivley resisting..."

vlaurelio likes this.
  7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

All four police officers will be charged with murder 2 - disregard for human life.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Some more background on George Floyd. He is from Houston and moved up to Minneapolis a few years ago for a fresh start. He liked it enough that he was trying to encourage people he knew back in Houston to move to Minneapolis.

Eric Riley, Nook, amaru and 1 other person like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

nm. I can tease JV some other time.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes from the video it does look like the LEO wasn't using the technique properly. That said even putting pressure on the head is dangerous and certainly shouldn't be put on for 5 minutes. All of these restraint techniques aren't meant to but used indefinitely. They are meant to control the suspect until they can be cuffed. Just saw on the news a police trainer say the same thing.

jiggyfly, snowconeman22 and vlaurelio like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't support capital punishment, but in clear cut cases like these, there is no question in my mind that this officer needs to be put down permanently. It is unfair that he took this man's life from him and also caused irreparable pain to this man's family and friends. This guy should not have the privilege of a lengthy appeals and such once he is convicted. What a drain this is on our system.

I'm extremely upset about this whole ordeal. I'm usually upset about these things, but for whatever reason, this one is throwing me off. I think the disgust I have is related to how little power we have as citizens to help in a situation like this. If i were in the crowd, I'd be panicking and suffering for not being able to help this gentleman. I'd also live with that guilt for the rest of my life, even knowing that if I would of charged the officer I would likely be killed in the process. It is not ****ing fair what happened here. It is ****ing outrageous. **** all those ****ing cops that were standing around doing nothing. Regardless of the crime he committed, he does not deserve to be put down by empowered assholes.

jiggyfly, pickymen, B-Bob and 6 others like this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

That video is so obvious and conclusive there isn't a single soul so far willing to play devil's advocate here. Knock on wood though.

14. fchowd0311

Ya, the victim was in the least threatening position possible already cuffed and laying down on the ground belly side down. There was no reason whatsoever to pin him by his neck like that let alone for nearly 10 minutes.

What's even more sickening is that he was still pinning him down while his body was lifeless for at least 3 entire minutes. At that point its very obvious he was doing it for ego reasons because civilians were telling him to stop.

15. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Please keep your slide remarks to yourself. There is proper outrage in this country and 4 police firings along with hopefully charges brought up. The difference between our countries is that if this would have happened in China, no one would have known about it. In a country of 1.4 billion...........

16. fchowd0311

Comparing ourselves to one of the worst authoritarian regimes on the planet is a low bar.

The United States compared to other industrialized nations have significanltly higher rates of death by law enforcement.

17. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Yeah that's why I said that to a Communist trying to make a remark towards the US above Civil rights

18. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

The Asian cop was a big p***y wow.

DVauthrin likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm getting reports from people that the 3rd Precinct where these LEO were based from has been breached by protesters. Someone is claiming there is 8,000 people in the protests and the police are using tear gas and rubber bullets.

Note I'm getting this second hand who are hearing it from others so am not going to say for sure that is absolutely what's happening and can't find live news coverage. That said the last coverage I saw did show a very large protest.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I guess I was wrong about fast action by the Mayor and Chief calming things down..