1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

For those following this... causes more harm.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Deaths in the original northeast hotspots have declined rapidly. Deaths in non hotspots have generally declined but only slightly. Texas has been moving upward with the total number of infections detected but testing has also increased. Deaths per day has also gone up here from about 32 to 37 since the beginning of the month.

About 40% of the total deaths have been from nursing homes and about 60% of the deaths are over age 75.

I’ve been back at the gym and doing Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Right now I’m sitting outside at little Woodrow’s having a beer.

Astrodome, Hakeemtheking and YOLO like this.
  3. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob, Nook, robbie380 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's regional.

The US overall...

Current: with continuing steady spread (no longer exponential spread), no big spikes, no new major hotspots, we haven't yet gone below 20k new cases per day and haven't gone below 1k death per day.

Future: All the scarifies and hard work got us to this point. My greatest fear is denial of that reality, that it was bad, that we were ill prepared, that stay-at-home , social distancing, mask help to contain death to 100k within 2M (it could have been much less if we acted earlier and much more if we acted later). That if we aren't careful when we open up, we will see faster spread again and we will see major spikes. It doesn't have to be that way if we are careful as we open back up. Depends on what we do.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is officially the worst position on wearing face masks. "Face masks are bad because they might hinder the growth of ethically bankrupt millionaires and snake-oil startups seeking to impose a surveillance state so that they may become billionaires."

B-Bob, Astrodome, No Worries and 4 others like this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Good. This virus should show us it's time to get back to the basics and embrace privacy, quality time with loved ones, real interactions, real food, etc.

Also, why do do you think in Asian cultures, facemasks are somewhat normal? I think at least a small percentage is to dodge state-led monitoring.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Waiting for the folks that won't wear facemasks when asked because "my face my freedom" that will wear masks to disrupt facial recognition.

The ACM should ask China, I'm sure they have been working that "problem" for a while.

Nook likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How am I supposed to open my phone!?

[​IMG]

B-Bob and arkoe like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

This mask situation is a life changer for serial killers.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

I have never missed TouchID on the iphone more than I have now.

Ugh. Never liked faceid, now I hate it even more.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. AB423

AB423 Member

It’s sad that i go out and there are so many people without a mask on

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

is it considered black face if I wear the mask on the right?

DonkeyMagic and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I don't understand their line of thinking at all. Getting an actual rectangular facemask might be hard, but if you don't have any, just go get a piece of fabric at Walmart or something and use that.

Something > nothing, even if that something isn't a facemask.

AB423 likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

Lizards in the Galapagos are seriously considering moving to mainland USA, where everything is untouched. "The island has gone to hell in a nutsack, " said one lizard. "I see one or two humans a day now, but I hear things, from the mainland, that the humans are dead. It's like paradise over there. Who would have thought it."

[​IMG]

#7714 PhiSlammaJamma, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As someone who does Judo and BJJ there is no such thing as social distance. We frequently get other people's sweat, blood, spit and other body fluids on us. This is just a recipe for transmission.

I understand the desire to go back and do martial arts. This is the longest in 30 years that haven't done martial arts. To be honest I've been depressed because it's been now more than two months since I last did Judo. I'm coming to terms that it will be months and possibly not until 2021 or longer that I will do Judo or BJJ again.

I'm in good health. I continue to work out and I've been working on cardio since I can't do martial arts. I'm not in a high risk group and most likely if I get it I have a good chance of surviving it. It's not about me though. I can't be that selfish.

After I finish writing this I will go the grocery store and buy groceries for a relative who is a shut in and in the very highest risk group. I have very close friends who I consider family who are in the highest risk group. I can't absolutely prevent the possibility of getting any infection. I can't prevent the possibility of being an asymptomatic carrier. What I can do though is to limit those possibilities so that I don't end up spreading it.

Also even though I'm not in a high risk group doesn't mean there is no possibility of me getting it and it not being bad. People in martial arts tend to believe that they are indestructible. We have also pride ourselves on being tough. I know for me that has led to many injuries as I've fought while injured and in many cases made things worse. With this disease young people even those in good shape can still get infected and while death is a very small possibility it isn't a pleasant experience. One of my former Judo students who is in her late 20's got it and she's had to be hospitalized twice. Another friend in her 30's who is a runner got it in April and described it as the worst experience in her life. Just last week she went back to the hospital because of kidney issues that may be related to COVID-19. This is still a novel virus and no one knows what the long term impacts are.

In modern martial arts we like to think of ourselves as individuals and that we take our fate in our hands. The history and origins of most martial arts isn't that and Judo and BJJ don't come from that either. Kano Jigoro founded Judo not as fighting system but an educational system. Kano is also the founder of Brazilian Jujitsu as Maeda who taught the Gracies was one of Kano's early students. One of the principles of Judo is Jita Kyoei which roughly means "mutual benefit and welfare." That means that we aren't just individuals but there is a large community. There is a community of instructors, students and opponents who you learn from, train with, and compete against to make you a better person. There is also a larger community beyond the dojo too. In a case like this if we believe in those principles is the understanding that it's not about us and our desire to fight but that it is about how we help and look out for others..

17. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

The custom of facemask-wearing began in Japan during the early years of the 20th century, when a massive pandemic of influenza killed between 20 and 40 million people around the world—more than died in World War I. There were outbreaks of the disease on every inhabited continent, including Asia (where it devastated India, leading to the deaths of a full 5% of the population). Covering the face with scarves, veils and masks became a prevalent (if ineffective) means of warding off the disease in many parts of the world, until the epidemic finally faded at the end of 1919.

A second global flu epidemic in 1934 cemented Japan’s love affair with the facemask, which began to be worn with regularity during the winter months—primarily, given Japan’s obsession with social courtesy, by cough-and-cold victims seeking to avoid transmitting their germs to others, rather than healthy people looking to prevent the onset of illness.

https://qz.com/299003/a-quick-history-of-why-asians-wear-surgical-masks-in-public/

Two Sandwiches and Ziggy like this.
  18. AB423

AB423 Member

I think its because people think its not a dangerous virus and they think they are invincible to it which is really selfish of them because they can easily pass it to their parents or someone older which can be deadly.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Japanese are also all about civil duty and enforcing things through social queues.