1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN “Experts” Rank the Top 74 Players in NBA History

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jordnnnn, May 11, 2020.

1. adoo

adoo Member

trivia question

in the 1950s, nba rule changes were implemented targeting one specific baller, who was this HoFer?

Chamberlain's impact on the game is also reflected in the fact that he was directly responsible for several rule changes in the NBA, including
    • widening the lane to try to keep big men farther away from the hoop,
    • instituting offensive goaltending and
    • revising rules governing inbounding the ball and shooting free throws (such as making it against the rules to inbound the ball over the backboard).[2][159]
      • Chamberlain, who reportedly had a 50-inch vertical leap,[160] was physically capable of converting foul shots via a slam dunk without a running start (beginning his movement at the top of the key).[161] When his dunks practically undermined the difficulty of a foul shot,

#101 adoo, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
  2. adoo

adoo Member

thank you for corrborating, w details, that it was mediocre.

3. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

You can describe the 1994 roster however you want, but by comparing it to 1995, you've shown how vital Drexler was to that championship team. It's absurd to say Drexler was "riding coattails" and there are zero details you can point to that will corroborate that assertion.

4. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

Bringing up Shaqs 95 season doesn't help your argument. So a pre-prime Shaq is able to get to the finals without an elite closer, while facing tougher competition, but somehow he couldnt get his team past the Pacers without Kobe's sub 40% shooting. Killer instinct only goes so far when you're missing 64% of your shots.

5. JazzLakerHater

John Stockton and Allen Iverson over Isiah Thomas is a joke.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Clyde contributed significantly to the Rockets second title. Without that trade, the Rockets likely would have been eliminated early in the playoffs. Even after the trade for Clyde, the Rockets still limped their way into the playoffs where they just flipped a switch and played like champions again. As much as I didn't want to lose OT at the time, it was a necessary trade to give the Rockets the talent and momentum needed for that second title.

As much of a cornball as he is as commentator, Clyde was IMHO the second best SG of that era behind Jordan.

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You're either selling Eddie Jones short or you're forgetting how dominant Shaq was. Also, bringing up Hack a Shaq as a defense that Shaq wouldn't have won a championship dismisses the glaring flaw in your argument because they still won 3 rings despite that tactic with Bryant.

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

Based on his comments of the 95 team and the belief that Kobe carried the Lakers 3 peat team I'm assuming he wasn't old enough to remember anything before 2004.

Clyde played his part as the second option perfectly.

London'sBurning likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/es...rda-bill-russell-charles-barkley-01e879vm6w2g

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kobe has the RIP bonus now. RIP.

We all know Hakeem is greater.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Those two champs will forever be embedded in my memory. I was kid while my dad was beating lung cancer. The first championship, he was still doing his chemo and radiation. We were the only family in our neighborhood block that could afford the PPV order on cable to watch the playoffs. That's right. Houston made watching the Rockets locally a PPV event you had to pay for back then. Other cities got the national broadcast, but if you wanted to watch Worrell and Murphy commentate on the Rockets, you needed to shell out money for a PPV subscription. So we'd have big block party BBQs, and would have a neighborhood house party in our upstairs entertainment center with the whole upstairs packed just watching the Rockets win it all.

Dad beat cancer. Moved from house in Houston to Austin since dad had to have his lung removed to beat the cancer and walking up to his bedroom on the second story took a good 45 minutes just to make it upstairs with an extremely shakey banister. So moved to Austin where they owned a one story house that was easier for him to live in. Moved in with my oldest sister and brother in-law to finish up my Spring semester at school in Houston while my parents moved to Austin and watched the Rockets win their second championship with them instead. Would go to the Y up north everyday with my sister who would do laps for exercise while pregnant with my oldest niece and I would shoot hoops with other people on the basketball court. I was just a kid but I could nail the 3 and create off the dribble against adults back then. Was good times watching the Rockets win it all twice, my dad beat cancer and living another almost 6 years, and not long after the second chip, seeing my sister delivery a beautiful healthy niece of mine. Such damn good memories man.

Caesar and steddinotayto like this.
  12. steddinotayto

We're probably around the same age (37) and yup remember those PPV days vividly.

Caesar and London'sBurning like this.
  13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting, they gave Kobe a bump into the top 10 because he passed. Also interesting how Robertson jumped Hakeem for no apparent reason.

Honestly the list isn't that bad, but there are a few glaring issues.

14. adoo

adoo Member

Kobe's killer instinct enable him to be the closer to counter the opponents' the hack a shaq

Kobe's killer instinct enabled him to help the Lakers to win 3 rings; that's how far it went
    hello, Eddy Jones was not on the team.

u have no idea what ur talking about,

they won 3 rings because they have shaq and the antidote against hack a shaq​

#114 adoo, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
  15. adoo

adoo Member

my guess is that the poll was taking after MJ's documentary "the last dance" was aired. the docu portrays thomas as a chicken bleep weasel against MJ,
    as well as one who had spread false gay rumor about his one-time mentor Magic.

it probably sway opinion of thomas the player

#115 adoo, May 14, 2020
  16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It's downright nauseating that the selfish, inefficient chucker Iverson is viewed as being on the same tier as Harden. Those 76ers teams may have been able to get out of the first round once..at best.

jordnnnn likes this.
  17. adoo

adoo Member

where the hell is HoFer Elgin Baylor, a SF ?

he played 14 yrs, 11 yr an all star. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bayloel01.html

27.4 ppg 13.5 rpg 4.3 apg s % 43.1 FT% 78.0
    a 6' 5" SF, he avg more than 10 rebounds a game for 11 of those years; for several decades he was NBA's 3rd leading rebounder of all time, behind wilt chamberlain and bill russell

Baylor was 2 yrs ahead of Jerry West.; he was mr inside, west was mr outside
    their Lakers team reached the Finals ~ 5 or 6 times,each time losing to the Celtics, super teams of Bill Russell and 3 or 4 other HoFers

despite avg less than 3 reb a game in his last 2 seasons, his career avg of 13.5 is higher than such HoFers as
    • Karl Malone, Kareem, Dream, 4-4-4 Malone, Rodman and other

here are some comments about Baylor

he had the body of Adrian Dantley, 6'5" w big butts, but the flashy game of Dr. J
    he was Dr J who could rebound
    he knew how to use his big butt to create space to help him to get the rebounds

#117 adoo, May 14, 2020
  18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Problem is that most don't take stats from the 60s seriously. And for good reason. For example, Baylor's rebounding raw numbers are crazy, but his estimated rebound rates put him at about a Shawn Marion level. Not at the level of those bigs.

The epic rebound numbers of Wilt and Russell are still estimated to be at an elite level, but not as great as Rodman.

Notice that the only two players from the 60s whose numbers are still respected are Russell and Wilt. But it's only because you can't ignore Russell's defensive impact, rings, and MVPs and Wilt's epic stats, athleticism, and MVPs.​

19. adoo

adoo Member

yet, u can't name one reason

think for a minute, Baylor was a contemporary of Bill Russell and Wilt chamberlain, the most dominating defensive / rebounders of all time.

who did Rodman had to contend w to get his rebounds ?

#119 adoo, May 14, 2020
  20. adoo

adoo Member

jerry west, oscar robertson, willis reed, rick barry, etc played in the 60s, no?