1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Let the conservatives get back at it. Most people will take the cautious approach.

I'm not getting back out there even on a restaurant patio until June at the earliest.

malakas likes this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not against what Texas is doing. We knew that our political leaders here would not be holding back from opening the economy and I'm actually quite surprised what their approach is going to be. I expected them to go full r****d, but instead, it will be a gradual increase.

Personally, I don't intend to be guinea pig with all of this, so I plan to keep minimizing my human interaction as much as possible, but if other folks want to be the test case then so be it. Unfortunately, I am having to come into the office right now, so I have no control if someone else catches this **** and spreads it around. I'll keep practicing whatever I can to keep myself safe, but ultimately I am at the mercy of others.

People in general are pretty damn careless. I see it everywhere and it drives me insane. I was at the car dealership last week to get some much needed work on my car done and of course, people come sit next to me with their whole family. I stared them down hoping that would make them back off, but nope. I had to get up and just get far away from others. Same at the grocery stores, I'm trying to pick out my produce and then others come near with no respect for my personal space. When I'm waiting in line, it's the exact same deal. Nobody has common courtesy. I wish others, whether they believe this or not, would have some respect for my personal space. It's wishful thinking though.

malakas likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, personally, we can only do so much. Keeping up on C & definitely D vitamins is probably a good idea, and all the hygiene stuff. I saw a woman in SF yesterday with a long stick. LOL. I think she was using it as a distancing device. I guess you could swing a golf club around too.

malakas and ElPigto like this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

I'm not against what Texas is doing either. I think, like with social-distancing, it will go much better then some expect. People said Americans won't social distance and we're going to get slammed. However, we did social distance and most city/states/municipalities haven't been slammed. We've done far better then the models projected. I think with the reopening people will take a cautious approach (though I'm sure some events of outrageous crowding will be highlighted by the media) and use common sense to slowly ease back into things. Which I think is fine and proper.

Major, ElPigto and YOLO like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

“Get busy living while dying or get busy dying. Yea...there’s more important things than living. I hope to see my friend Andy again but I’m dying because I rode in a crowded Greyhound bus down to Owhateneo with the window open blowing coronavirus all around.” - Red Abbott

[​IMG]

Eric Riley, Nook, ArtV and 1 other person like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

All true.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What if there simply is not a place for that industry during a pandemic? Take out or bust. It's a hard to swallow pill, but... game over. You don't sell winter coats in Ethiopia.

Why even attempt it?

25% capacity seems reasonable (for Texas), I just hope businesses actually follow the rule. I also hope the employees wear the ****ing masks. Too many people seem to want to make a stand against wearing masks and make it a point to not wear one... and for what?

I wish it was as easy as saying - let those people go eat then - I'll stay safe. But the more of them that get infected, the worse my chances become.

davidio840, sammy and malakas like this.
  8. ths balla

ths balla Member

I am honestly shocked by the continued hysteria in this thread(this is not meant to belittle any life thats been lost which is incredibly sad).
    At one point is it "safe" to open things up and why then? If you are still scared to go out then stay home like you have normally. To demonize others that feel they have the common sense to take proper precautions and phase back to "normalcy" is laughable. The fact that we have apparently been so "careless" about this and yet are numbers have been lower than the projections should say something(Covid-19 is far less deadly & far more common than initially believed).

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I apologize for the video auto-playing itself. It just had to be shared though, to show the idiots across the country.

#6949 donkeypunch, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Joshfast and Surfguy like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

First results from double blind clinical trials in France on 129 patients show that tocilizumab is effective.
    Non ICU hospitalised patients with severe pneumonia.

That's good. It's expensive but at least reasonably available.

I guess patients with arthritis are bound to be left without medicine. First hydroxychloroqinue now tocilizumab.

ArtV likes this.
  11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

So one question I have for when this is all over ... are we finally going to stop treating perfect attendance at lower grade levels as being more important than academic performance.

It's time for a cultural shift where personal responsibility to not get others sick when you are sick is a priority. In recent memory, people didn't give an F if they were out there getting other people sick (with whatever it is).

JayZ750 likes this.
  12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I had seen where doctor's thought this was the cure, but in this Dr's hospital they had one dose of it and had to decide who would get it. They ended up doing half doses for 2 patients. Hopefully it becomes more readily available if the clinical studies show it is truly effective

malakas likes this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Nah..this pandemic as it has been so far is not severe enough to cause any longterm cultural / attitude changes.

So far.
    If it continues for years with new waves even more severe and deadlier, things could change. *knock on wood*

RocketManJosh likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

There is also another drug that is almost the same/similar with tocilizumab from another drug company but they are far more behind in clinical trials.
    But at least these drugs have production lines behind them, because they are used for arthritis.

They will be more available if they are proved to work..not like remdesivir that it's a dream to be practically available in the near future because everything will have to start from scratch.

RocketManJosh and ArtV like this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Did my weekly trip to the store yesterday. Of course the Boomers are wandering around, not following any rules in any store, no masks, walking right up against people, touching everything. Really pissing me off

Eric Riley, arkoe and cheke64 like this.
  16. Entropy

Entropy Member

Where do you live?

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Denver

18. Entropy

Entropy Member

Yeah that kind of behavior would be very out of place here in houston. Everyone, young and old, keep far apart most of the time and have masks.

Nook and malakas like this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What is everyone in this thread doing to make sure their health is stronger in order to minimize infection risk and severity?

malakas likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I already live a healthy lifestyle, as best I can (I'm not trying to get on a high horse here, that is not my intention *for once, lulz*), which makes the idea of potential long-term lung damage... frustrating to say the least... playing it SAFE since we don't yet have the data on it.

robbie380 likes this.