1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah... I'm going to go with 401k... The amount of growth is great... I mean unless someone wants to give me 5-10 million to put in some savings account... Also, while I'd love a pension, I don't think it's realistic in this day, unless you served/government - company that is going to be around longterm (and that's getting more unlikely).

I mean I've seen people lose their job as they were within range to getting one from IBM etc and other companies, I do know people that made it though and it's been amazing, but it's pretty much a dream at this point unless in military/gov - assuming they continue to pay.

#6581 CCity Zero, Apr 22, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    pippendagimp likes this.
  2. HTM

HTM Member

I'm in my 20's the idea of a pension is nonexistent unless you work for the gubmint or a very limited number of companies. I don't worry about having my retirement/savings tied to the U.S. market. If the market crashes we're all ****ed including the pension plans. It's returned an annual average of 9% since the great depression though.

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

We both agree on implications but disagree on outcomes. I don't think it is possible to get a NYC type outbreak anywhere else. The subway was in wide use during the times it is now known a ton of people were infectious.

In rural areas they are already distanced socially, people will be scared to go to a movie theater (for example) already so no matter what the government says some lag in contact will be there already.

jchu14 likes this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

My previous job had a fully funded pension. It was grandfathered in and the older rules it could follow made it more attractive. The way it functions made it like having a 2nd 401k but the company and their financial guys at UBS controlled the investments.

Our market is also extremely volatile because 20% of US stocks and 43% of US bonds are foreign owned. They don't have any loyalty to this country. They want big returns and low taxes. You take that away and they will move on to greener pastures.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo’s office has confirmed to KPRC 2 that she will be issuing an order that will require county residents to wear masks in public.

According to her office, Hidalgo’s order will go into effect on April 27 and will last for 30 days. Children under 10 will be exempt from the order.

The “stay home, work safe” order issued by the judge on March 11 is expected to remain in effect until April 30. The order says that only essential workers or people needing to do essential things like getting groceries or go to the doctor should be leaving their homes.

Gov. Abbott touched on the numbers during an interview with KPRC 2, saying, “Harris County, like the state of Texas, is doing well. Both in the City of Houston and in Harris County, your numbers are flattening just like the numbers in the state of Texas.”

Mayor Sylvester Turner seemed to be cautiously optimistic, reporting only 20 news cases Tuesday, and no deaths.

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo’s take was a bit different though. She reported 146 new cases outside the City of Houston with one death.

Hidalgo and Turner are expected to give an update at 3 p.m. Wednesday where they will give an announcement on coronavirus in the county.

Just last week, San Antonio and Dallas announced similar stipulations, along with punishment for violations that include a $1,000 fine or jail time.

It's not clear if a fine will also be issued in Harris County.

FrontRunner likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Is that even possible? She is seriously going to put people in jail for not wearing a mask that we were just told may be worse than not wearing one?

7. what

what Member

People don't want to hear this but this pandemic is going to take two years from our lives. Possibly even more, and the economic impact will be lasted for probably over a decade.
    I remember when the oil crisis hit and we were required to only be able to pump up your gas if you have a certain license plate number.
    And my father pretty much lost a lot of work because of everybody was poor: things changed a lot.

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Probably just a citation. I don't see the problem with it. How is this any different than seatbelt rules?

9. what

what Member

I've been wearing a makeshift mask but I ordered one yesterday A real one.
    It is supposed to be heavy duty twill. I may see if I can somehow add a filter to it.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Needs to know what "public" means here. In store, okay. Jogging outdoor - doesn't make too much sense.

I think Dallas, Austin, San Ant already required masks in "public"

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’ve honestly wondered if I had it. I was sick in December and it was really strange. I hadn’t felt like that before and couldn’t pinpoint what the hell was wrong with me. I had a constant nagging headache and was pretty fatigued. I remember thinking that I haven’t felt like this before. I ended up just riding it out. Who knows...

My boys were also sick and they road it out as well. I took them both to the doctor and they told us it was a virus that could not really be treated. The doctor told me that it was the worst cold and flu season in 40 years. So maybe there is something to it being here for much longer.

12. Bandwagoner

Less proof these work, especially DIY. Not everyone has ready access to a mask. Masks cost money. Masks can contribute to getting sick if misused. Some people have asthma. If your car was made before seat belts, you do not have to wear seat belts. etc

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It could be a good thing, yes. I just think we'd have seen more death by it by now in the Bay Area, unless people here are for some reason more immune than in New York and New Jersey? That just seems crazy.

So maybe those two people in February were people who travelled from China and just stayed in their apartments once they got sick.

As grim and scary and frustrating as all this is... it's going to make an amazing history book some future day.

14. what

what Member

Nothing, even your seatbelt analogy, is 100%. You can die wearing a seatbelt just as easy as not wearing one: this is more about mitigation.
    If a sick person coughs with a mask on and you walk by with your own mask on, there is a better chance than if you did the same thing without a mask on to not get infected.
    Can you still get infected: sure. Can you get infected being 6 feet a part, yes, can you be infected if you only go out for groceries once a week, or if you pick up curbside: sure you can.
    But this, like every thing is: in another layer.
    Hell, even a vaccination is not 100% effective.
    It's about mitigation.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

hopefully she'll provide an exception for everyone who was born before masks were invented.

but seriously I think this policy (or something like it) is already in place elsewhere. I would assume she's just adopting what other cities/counties are doing.

Nook, No Worries and FrontRunner like this.
  16. Bandwagoner

It isn't my analogy. It was someone elses. Saying it probably helps is not close to saying it is OK to take people to jail for not doing it.

17. Bandwagoner

It is more of a nod to saying, if your car did not come with seatbelts you are not currently required to have them installed.

18. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...n-30-strains-say-scientists-in-china-11976380
    I don't know if it's true but maybe it's different strain in different places?, i do know that in Belgium which is much smaller than the US there are different strains in different regions.

FrontRunner and robbie380 like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

it's pretty much further confirmation that the stay home order won't be extended.

ElPigto likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

There has not been enough discussion about this recently. Maybe there are just too many strains to actually study effectively.