1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Honestly I've heard they wanted Mahomes and panicked.... moved up for Watson. Not sure how true that is...

lw17 and dc rock like this.
  2. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Deandre Hopkins for Sua Filo (2nd Rounder)

3. chinesemamba

chinesemamba Member

At this point I’ll take Jason Garrett and that is very sad to say.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/1596742/202...s-gm-rick-smiths-grief-has-reshaped-his-life/

The 2019 Texans — a team he still refers to as “we” — reflected well on him. The five captains who took the field for the coin toss in their playoff game against the Chiefs — Watson, Watt, Johnathan Joseph, Nick Martin and Bernardrick McKinney — had been acquired by Smith.

On the day of the draft in 2017, Smith was intent on drafting a franchise quarterback. He ranked Watson first, Patrick Mahomes second and Mitchell Trubisky a distant third, he says. “I walked away from the national championship game convinced Deshaun could lead the franchise,” he says. “I thought he could be a top quarterback in this league for a long time.”

He knew Watson would not last until the Texans’ 25th pick in the draft. He thought he would have to trade up to the sixth pick, so he polled the others in the draft room to see if anyone was interested in making a move. Nobody else was. The price was prohibitive anyway.

Then the Chiefs traded up to the 10th spot to take Mahomes. Watson was still on the board, and a trade up with the Browns to the 12th spot was possible. Smith asked the others in the room if anyone would give up next year’s first-round pick to move up to 12 for Watson.

“Not one person said they would,” he says.

He typically values consensuses. Not this time.

Smith leaned over and quietly spoke to O’Brien.

Smith: “If he’s there at 12, I’m gonna go get him.”

O’Brien: “If you have a feeling in your gut like that, do it. I’ll coach him up, and we’ll be good.”

And with that, Smith stood up and announced to the room, “Sometimes you just got to go with your gut.”

And so he did, trading up to the 12th spot and selecting Watson.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's an admittedly great picture and, given the story, does seem to be worth a 1,000 words. But the truth behind it will... disappoint you.

Smith was standing and watching the live feed of the draft when the network he was watching cut to that shot and, once he saw himself, flashed the four-mile smile. It was more luck than anything - he was the only one with his head up.

Still a cool shot but it's been twisted to show some devious divide and/or BO'B's antipathy and... Nah. All that may (likely does) exist. But that shot was just random luck.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

:(

Rudyc281 and Hey Now! like this.
  8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

BoB wanted Trubisky. Lets ignore the race angle for now (although it's been suspicious especially now with the baby mama comment to Hopkins) of drafting a black QB.

Trubisky fits the Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler mold that BoB loves. Tall, big arm, doesn't have to be mobile.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok.......dumbass. O'Brien wanted Mahomes. Nice try though.

Rudyc281 and justtxyank like this.
  10. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

He never wanted Watson. Which explains why he's trying to destroy his career. It's obvious his intentions is to destroy this team before he's let go. Maybe it's his way of saying **** you to the city!

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

12. magman

magman Member

I've never seen so many ex-players come out to speak ill about a coach like they have about O'brien the last few days. I can't imagine what the current players feel.

A picture of a vindictive, petty and emotional decision maker keeps getting defined more and more with each comment.

Don't see how he still has control of this locker room with any thing but fear at this point.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I rather we get stuck in a carousel of coaches over watching BoB create a mediocre team

We arent going anywhere with this egomanic coach. BIggest ego for a coach that has yet to do anything but win division titles and made national news for blowing one of the biggest lead in playoff game in a quarter and doing one of the stupidest trade in recent history.

Grass isnt always greener on the otherside, but i rather take the chance than watch another year of BoB wasting Watsons career.

Anyone still defending BoB at this point will get flamed on here. Theres only so much stupidity u can defend

#5453 DatRocketFan, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  14. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

So is there any chance he's fired? I don't think so considering the fact Hopkins sort of defended him on Twitter.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Cal McNair signed off on EVERY MOVE.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You saying this over and over still doesn't make it right. The fact still remains that the front office is filled with a bunch of clueless clowns.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Cool, they are both clowns

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Please leave lol

20. Buck Turgidson

That the owner is equally or more of a dipsh!t than the HC/GM is not a good selling point for you.

Richie_Rich, DonnyMost and Fulgore like this.