1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Has anyone done HEB curbside pickup before? The thing says they'll substitute for other items if the ones you want aren't available. I don't want a bunch of Hill Country Fare and Economax replacements.

2. opticon

opticon Member

Even before the current stock issues there would at least be 4 or 5 items that get subbed. You can opt to not except them though.

dc rock likes this.
  3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The tests are everywhere now. All Labcorp and Qwest labs have them too. Testing has really ramped up in the last 48 hours.

The disconnect now is the Doctors knowing where to send people to get the tests, and that's being resolved quickly. A lot of Doctors didn't know that Qwest and Labcorp are basically stocked up now and ready to go.

malakas, B-Bob and donkeypunch like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

then select the you don't allow substitutions option when you checkout. you won't get charged for whatever items they don't have

5. likestohypeguy

Bravo, that's such a top shelf reference, I'm not even bothered by straightening/flattening vs. curves/hills.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My understanding is we're still short of a lot of the reagents and supplies that the kits need but the companies that can supply those are ramping up as quickly as they can.

General note:
    As of this typing, we have 6425 cases in the US (Johns Hopkins dashboard). So, if the 50x real/confirmed ratio is about right, we now have over 300,000 cases in the US, or 1 in every 1,000 of us. Ugh. Hopefully only 1% mortality rate or less. :(

malakas likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I live in SW Austin and got a bunch of groceries delivered by HEB this afternoon. Ordered it 4 days ago, and got half of what we ordered originally. There's a delivery fee, but I've considered doing curbside. One thing you'll discover is just how out of stuff they are, although you could get lucky. No toilet paper, no paper towels. No ketchup, except for "organic" ketchup I'd never seen before, not that I mind organic, far from it. Heinz sells an organic version that tastes like Heinz. Bought it anyway. No meat, as in no steak of any kind. No round steak. They had the "fake" meat, which we got for my vegetarian significant other.

HEB was very good about the substitutions. The fellow filling our order this afternoon called us and told us what he couldn't get, and of the things there were substitutes for, just what that was. We're in the "high risk" category, so I'm trying not to take too many chances. We're washing off everything before putting it in the fridge or in the pantry. One good thing, and we'll order some next time. They'll deliver wine and beer, depending on what they have when they fill your order.

That's the thing. We had to wait 4 days, and it was filled shortly before it was delivered. Normally, as my non-driving daughter told us on the phone, since she uses the service a lot, you order and get it a couple of hours later. No longer! You don't pay for what you don't get, of course. They deduct whatever you didn't get from the credit card payment you gave them originally.

Hakeemtheking, malakas and dc rock like this.
  8. AB423

AB423 Member

I looked into it last night and the earliest my HEB had available was next Monday.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The media hyping EVERY new threshold for the virus total is really ridiculous.

BREAKING NEWS WE JUST BROKE 6K CASES! LETS TALK ABOUT IT FOR FIVE MINUTES AND IN TWO WEEKS YOU'LL HAVE HEART ATTCKS WHEN WE CROSS 1 MILLION!

We just need to stop focusing on these numbers. They are meaningless.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Well to sensationalize them sure. But the numbers are not meaningless lol

Junebball likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The sensational coverage is my point. They are acting like crossing these small thresholds are so HUGE when we know the numbers are going to be many magnitudes higher than this.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

In one week we went from 100k to 200k cases.

One. Week.

No Worries likes this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What are these places charging?

My wife and I potentially could need one as she was exposed to someone who recently travelled to Spain.

17. likestohypeguy

WHat's the cost and time frame for results?

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Potential major news. My cardiologist friend thought this was very intriguing too. I went back and edited the bolded underlined part because it caught my eye after I read it again. The fact that China is formally recommending this as way to treat the drug and the fact that they are recommending a drug from a Japanese company really stood out to me. It makes me think this might actually have some legit promise.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200317_48/

China: Avigan effective in tackling coronavirus

China's government researchers say they have found the Japanese-developed anti-flu drug Avigan effective in treating patients infected with the new coronavirus and will promote its use.

Zhang Xinmin, director of the National Center for Biotechnology Development, named the drug at a news conference in Beijing on Tuesday.

He said the drug was found to be effective in clinical trials by two medical organizations in the country. He said the medicine worked for coronavirus-related symptoms including pneumonia and had no obvious side effects.

The director said the tests were conducted in the cities of Wuhan and Shenzhen and involved 240 patients and 80 patients respectively.

He said those who were given the medicine in Shenzhen turned negative for the virus after a median of four days after becoming positive, while it took a median of 11 days for those without the drug.

The trial also found that X-ray photos confirmed improvements in lung conditions in about 91 percent of the patients who were given the medicine. The number stood at 62 percent for those without the drug.

The director said the drug is highly safe and its effect is obvious, and formally recommend the use of the medicine as a way to tackle the virus.

A Chinese firm that has licensed the drug from its Japanese developers got government approval last month to mass-produce the medication.

China on Monday confirmed 21 new cases of the virus infections, bringing the total in the country to more than 80,000. It's death toll now stands at 3,226.

#2900 robbie380, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020