1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you changed your mind concerning COVID-19?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by backwardhead, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I believe this shows how complacent we have become as a society. It exposes how poorly we handle day to day hygiene. In restaurants bathrooms, why do employees only have to wash their hands? Why does this need to be stated in the first place?

We have also become extremely complacent in our day to day lives; Empty cupboard? Lets just go eat out. We will hit the grocery store next week. Really we can go on and on with this.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

thing is I think the % can be even lower with good quick treatment. And then, the % can be higher if the opposite is true, w an overwhelmed system like Italy.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Health is wealth my dude. The older you get the more you realize it's true. I can help my friends and family if they need money, I can't do **** for them if they get sick.

4. likestohypeguy

Just more a matter of course than any real concern I did get all my hoarding done before it got here, but honestly didn't get increasingly concerned until, as I learned about:

-permanent lung scarring
    -testicle effects
    -ppl getting well then it making a comeback later
    -multiple strains & wildly different mortality rates among different countries/ethnicities
    -then when it finally got here and the rodeo is still happening?!
    -then when it's in my county, and people still going out and about here, including my parents to a funeral

Alarm bells are kind of going ringy dingy dingy!

#44 likestohypeguy, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  5. CCorn

CCorn Member

I didn’t wash my hands or use toilet paper before this, but now I do.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wash the TP. Everyone wins.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Thats pretty common coming from your side of the country.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Says the guy in Florida.

9. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Burn

I've never been very political. But believed in Keynesian ideas and investment in infrastructure. But for me infrastructure meant roads and schools. But now it is clearly healthcare. I mean, I've always known healthcare was important but now I am fully on board with it falling under the same importance as a standing and ready armed forces.

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

I think actual mortality is around 1% BUT if someone survived covid, 99% chances they'll die from medical student syndrome,regular flu or car accident or by eating toilet paper once we ran out of money or food

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

B-Bob and Xerobull like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The middle?

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Dr. Fauci said today it looks like the actual rate is closer to 0.7% as more and more numbers are coming in. The exceptions are where the health providers have been over-run. I think in China the rate in Wuhan was like 4 or 5% and every other case outside of Wuhan in China was like 0.1 or 0.2% and in Italy with their older population and healthcare being overwhelmed so the numbers are much higher there.

Even if in the aftermath the death rates are much, much lower than now, the problem is the seriousness. Too large of a percentage of people need advanced medical care. So as long as you stay within medical capacity, the prognosis for that area is pretty good. As soon as you lose control over capacity, the death rate shoots up. That's why there are such huge measures taking place now.

Mazulis, malakas and B-Bob like this.
  13. TheresTheDagger

I guess it was when I saw a post talking about the probable infection rates and exponential growth projections that I got VERY concerned (not scared). Combined with the idea my 92 year old mother lives with me and seeing what happened in Italy...yeah that keeps me up too.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Wait, wait, wait.

What's this, now, about testicle effects?? :eek:

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not only that but the reports of potential long term damage to the lungs and who knows what else is worrisome.

malakas likes this.
  16. likestohypeguy

Yeah, scary. I don't remember exactly what it's supposed to do, saw it several pages back.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

18. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I had a funny moment regarding this.

One of my wife's uncles is a blustery sort of dude, and started ranting on how the CDC recommends 20 seconds for washing your hands, how "that's ridiculous, no one washes their hands for that long, you know how long 20 seconds is? That's a long time!"

And I respond "well, for me, 15 seconds is my norm; if all you're doing is running them under water for 3-5 seconds they're probably not getting clean, particularly if you skip soap". Everyone else, including his wife, kinda silently turns around and nods and he gets sorta quiet and gets a sheepish look on his face...

It was dumb that we even had the family gathering at which this occurred FWIW, but we did it anyway because we had someone who was having panic attacks about the whole situation and needed to feel some "normalcy" to calm them down.

But yeah, certainly makes me think about all the people I've seen at work who skip washing their hands entirely, or like get them wet for half a second with no soap and don't scrub at all. Super-dumb.

malakas likes this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

"Wipe with the left, eat with the right".

They don't teach the basics in college, even when they mess with muh restrooms!

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You call it panic attacks. I call it shortness of breath. :D

malakas likes this.