1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Intuition. This is not insider knowledge and if I had inside information I would not be posting this.

You know how people are hoarding toilet paper and stores are sold out right now? That should be happening in the next few days with ventilators and ICU beds, sadly.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

An interesting overlay would be "where they get their info"... bet those that report concern get their news primarily from fox, oan, talk radio and facebook.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. WNBA

WNBA Member

[​IMG]
    Red line : confirmed blue: recovered gray: death

China is pretty much having total control on this thing after one month of total locking down. It is doable. The market needs to see this. The mainstream media should spread some positive news , even it is from China, for once and for the sake of stocks and 401k. Cheers

Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

How do we know the CCP isn't suppressing the numbers? It's an excellent sign only if it's true.

ryan_98 likes this.
  5. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

The global stock markets do not believe Chinese numbers. They have the same sentiment as their belief in Trump telling people to stay calm.

ryan_98, joshuaao and Andre0087 like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

imo, the telephone system is more important than the Internet, for both basic and emergency 2-way communication

But kinda just a minor point, as probably phones and Internet would all go down together. Maybe just lump them all as Wired or Satellite Communication ... vs radio and walkie-talkies which don’t require any supporting technology aside from the endpoint sender / receivers

#1966 heypartner, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You and @justtxyank are right about the scope. I was merely making a point about the priorities of being able to grow, cook, and plan for your own meals & in home medicinal care. The fact that people were packed into restaurants and bars this weekend was pretty stark to me, but it's probably more about denial than anything regarding resourcefulness.

I'm sure though that anyone here that lived through Katrina in NOLA probably looks at this situation as a breeze at least thus far. If the worst thing is that we all have to binge watch Netflix shows for 2 months, I think that's a good problem to have.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I find it pretty telling that a lot of my friends that are GOP voters/ Trumpers are still traveling while those of my friends that are more liberally leaning are doing the socially conscious thing by staying home.

This is 100% showing the differences - one group is socially conscious and trying to help out society, the other is selfish and only caring about themselves.

GOP in a nutshell

If you are still traveling right now you are a Selfish prick - this is about society, and what is better for everyone - if you don't care - you are part of the problem - too bad everyone else will pay for your selfishness.

DD

Houstunna, jcf, AleksandarN and 4 others like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, it's not just Trump. Medal of Freedom winners like Limbaugh have been pushing conservatives away from science (and scientists, and experts in general) for about 30 years now. And the saddest part of that, for me, is that it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. There were plenty of GOP-voting scientists in the mid-1990s. But if you see a party reject your work again and again, yeah, you start voting a certain way. So I would say now a greater # of scientists are liberal in political views. But it still does not influence their work (on, say, studying how pandemics work).

Cheers all. May we yet come together (but not in public gatherings).

AleksandarN, malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  10. WNBA

WNBA Member

I doubt markets are as stupid or bigot as you are. The markets are playing with money, not politics.

11. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

Bigot? For not trusting the Chinese government? Or for not trusting Donald Trump? Look at the global stock markets right now.

FranchiseBlade and Andre0087 like this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's amazing. The right is very selfish and really cares little for the health of others. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise but you'd think even they would not want to infect others

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you need to travel and feel comfortable, then travel ... just do it responsibly.

Do you really think we are just going to let this completely die out on its own by boarding up our windows and hiding under the bed?

Have you not noticed we are distancing ourselves from the word 'quarantine' to 'social distancing'?

It has nothing to do with Republicans and Democrats. Its people like you panicking and buying up all the face masks, Purel and Toilet Paper all while talking about how UBI is so important and why we shouldn't be bothered about all of our manufacturing jobs being shipped to China.

14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

GOP voters are just listening to the Trump order, who just tell them to calm down, everything will be fine.

15. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Those are facts not stupidity or being racist. Everytime someone goes against Xi and the CCP you're right here defending them at every turn. How much are the paying you to kiss ass?

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a highly contagious virus and social distancing may not be enough given the virus can stay in air for 30 minutes or longer. It has been community spreading in the US for over a month but the worst of this hasn't appeared because of the incubation period - in other words even with a quarantine we are about to see cases explode.

Many people are infected and do not know it. They have no symptoms. But they can spread it - widely. Unless you have been infected and have recovered, traveling puts other people at risk. There is no responsible way to interact with people if your breath alone can pass they virus to someone who is walking through the air you have exhaled.

China and S Korea have been successful in limiting through extreme measures. I don't know if those measure work here, but there is a choice to be made. Going half way doesn't work, it just kills our economy for nothing. But essentially the idea is if you put the country on lock down for a few months (8 weeks) you stop transmission cold and everyone who is infected recovers and no longer can spread the virus. In that time frame it buys you the chance to get mass testing in place.

The problem with this scenario is that people will not comply. So maybe we are just screwed and should let everyone go out there and infect everyone, and deal with the 21 million hospitalizations and millions of deaths and get it over with.

I think we need a mass quarantine, but it has to be coupled with mass testing otherwise we will just end up in the same place again in a few more months.

17. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

I’m not sure that’s entirely fair. I live around a bunch of Conservatives and their main issue is that they have been conditioned to not believe the MSM so they have been very skeptical of reports. Seeing DJT reverse course so quickly has been disorienting and has planted seeds of doubt about his competency, much less all of the previous issues that they’re starting to look back and question.

18. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're missing the big picture. Why do we think its ok to go into work, school, or public places when we are obviously sick? And when you ask them why are they at work, they come up with something stupid like "Ill be fine. I just feel like ****" or just as idiotic when they say "If Im going to be miserable at home, I may as well be miserable at work". Then they sit at the lunchroom table armed with a couple soggy tissues and a bottle of theraflu while sneezing all over the place. Or kids at school who should probably be at the dr's office instead of at school?

If we can't get people to practice basic hygiene, what makes you think you're going to keep them locked up in their homes when the current infection rate is something like .01%? We as a nation are failing as a whole with this issue. Up until this, that vast majority of the population didnt know the differences between face masks or where to find them or when they should wear them.

Clearly bickering over bathroom rights is more important than this.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The responsible part.. that would be nice. The gov part... like SK or TWN... that would be nice. We have neither at this time.

Vaccine, hurry the heck up.

This doesn't help : It's a hoax. The dem are crashing the stock market to run on a failing economy. You don't need hand sanitizer, just a sense of direction, faith and a will to fight and of course GUNS! However, it's not a unique issue to the US (see EU), but it probably is a bigger issue here.

RayRay10 likes this.