1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19/Coronavirus NBA Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Maromi, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Those of you that are surprised by this news have not been following the virus closely.

Wake up.

#81 Zboy, Mar 11, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Yukyuk, Lawlruschang and RKREBORN like this.
  2. chimera34

chimera34 Member

Based on current statistics on death rates for COVID-19
    • Patients >80 years of age have a very high fatality rate of ~15%
    • Patients 70-79 years have a high fatality rate of 8%
    • And overall a death rate between 2-3%
    While you are right that COVID19 does not strongly affect children as much as it does adults over 30, that does not mean it is any less dangerous. This means that children and young adults can be carriers of the viral pathogen and therefore must take extreme caution themselves as not to risk infecting others who are more vulnerable (e.g., the elderly or people with underlying health conditions such as diabetes, asthma, or lung disease).

Since COVID-19 is on its way to reaching critical mass at the same level as the 2009 H1N1 - which potentially killed up to ~600K as you mentioned (with a death rate overall ~0.08%) - there is potential to have millions of deaths worldwide depending on who its infects (i.e., higher number if it gets into places like nursing homes or hospitals which it is currently since its so easily transmittable).

This is the concern of the gov't and public health workers. Additionally, the longer it lasts into the year - the higher chance it comes back annually. Basically a stronger / more aggressive flu or cold killing more people than the 2009 H1N1, which also was a huge concern in the public health sector.

There does seem to be fear and hysteria that at times has become irrational and annoying, but the NBA suspending its season unfortunately was the right move. Too many vulnerable populations to potentially be infected including those who work for the NBA or the stadiums. I hope everyone stays safe by washing their hands every chance they can and practice good hygiene.

Sajan, B-Bob, Easy and 3 others like this.
  3. Audioout

Audioout Member

Yeah, I'm gonna need a source on that. Sounds very "my uncle works at Nintendo" to me.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not saying anything other than tropical/hot countries got it too.

Not an expert and not working in the medical field.

I am curious about the contraction rate at high altitudes. There is a shortage of oxygen.

Nepal got 1 case, healed.
    Bolivia got 2 cases.
    Lhasa, Tibet got 1 case, healed.

Peru 17 cases

(You can still get it from outside like Rudy Gobert....)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

#84 daywalker02, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

cj mccullum is saying no game, no pay. if players aren't getting paid, do they still have to go to practice?

allen iverson wants to know

Invisible Fan and daywalker02 like this.
  6. HardLin

HardLin Member

For the people saying "it's just the flu". The feature that is most disturbing about this virus is not the death rate, it's the hospitalization rate.
    I found the Joe Rogan video very informative, but this point was not made there.

The death rate for flu is .1%, for COVID19 its about 1% with good healthcare. About 10x.
    The hospitalization rate for flu is .2%. But for COVID19 is was 20% in China. Italian doctors are claiming that 10% need ICU beds there.

When ICU beds get overloaded the death rate skyrockets from 1% to 10%.
    China death rate is about 3.4%. This is an average of getting overrun early (8%) to getting it under control now (1%).
    Italy's death rate was about 3% a week a go, and now its 7% as the ICU's there are getting overrun.

So it's absolutely necessary to reduce the spread to keep hospitals from getting overrun by this. We all may end up getting this. It appears to be more infectious than the flu. But it makes a big difference if we all get it over 10-20 years, or if we all get it in 6 months.

For reference about 50 million people get the flu every year in the US. And about 50,000 people die.
    If 50 million people get COVID19 this season, that could be 5 million deaths. Over many seasons, that's still 500,000.

I thought this article was a well written explanation of what I've said:

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

basically any medical scientific publication of relevance will back up everything that poster said.

nothing radical or false in it, far as I can tell, and I’m a scientist (not a doctor) who has closely followed this outbreak. I do understand how exponentials work, and they slap day-to-day linear existence in the face, hard.

CCity Zero likes this.
  9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Have you not read anything that is happening in Italy?

#89 marky :), Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Provided COVID19 doesnt mutate, the infection rate should be relatively low. In 3 months from now, supply chain should be normalized and we will have a better understanding on how to deal with this. Once Wuhan resumes to normal operations, we will finally get to see how it flares back up. Quicker response and quicker detection will allow us to quarantine individuals faster. Waiting 48 hours for a test result or waiting for symptoms only leads to impatient people spreading the virus.

11. BALLhog 247 365

Sounds like there's a good chance the entire team has it

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

RIP Jazz

13. marky :)

marky :) Member

I'm waiting for MadMax's tweets regarding this, especially since its about the j*zz.

14. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

hope for the best for this bright kid donovan and rudy, but the ****ing Jazz team deserved this, i hope this team rot in hell, same to the mavs

15. noize

noize Contributing Member

You sir are a clueless idiot. Let's not take into account the elderly, cancer patient and children. As well as the possibility of hospitals around the world getting over crowded and could impact patients with more critical medical condition. A small % doesn't mean we should take this thing less seriously. Better to be safe then sorry my friend.

Little Bit likes this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, and those teams that have used the guest locker rooms the Jazz did on the road...

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm gonna need a discount on Animal Crossing for the Switch when it comes out. Pass this message to your uncle pls

18. Senator

Senator Member

It is very encouraging to see the world taking this seriously.. finally. This is one of this things that wipe out huge chunks of populations if you think it's no big deal. Everyone has elder relatives or young kids who immensely benefit from the it's better to be safe than sorry approach.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

dam breh. i mean...

AroundTheWorld and B-Bob like this.
  20. solid

solid Contributing Member

In the midst of worst case scenarios, I offered the opinion of a public health official I know well. It was more optimistic. The response for the most part was a littany of personal insults. I was trying to be encouraging, but the maturity level of some posters would not allow it. The take of the health care practitioner was actually identical to other Dr. friends I have who think the "epidemic" is overblown. Currently Texas has twenty one cases. Think what you will; I will not be responding to infantile responses and will have nothing further to say on the subject. We will all see how it plays out.

pippendagimp likes this.