1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Olajuwon play in todays game ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by icewill36, Feb 25, 2020.

1. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

Not sure why you even quoted me. Tend to life or take a pill bro. Seem's you are beyond fandom. Enjoy the ride. Stop picking at the flakes
    Edit. Stop @ people. There is no gang here man. One love

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

the same sonics who routinely beat our ass ? i do not think he would BETTER in this era than his own. you guys think its easy to be a post player in todays game ? why do we not have them then ? why does length matter ? are you serious ? why did we just make moves to add more length to this team ? it matters quite a bit. our defense has improved because we are longer and quicker as a unit. we can swarm bigs and force turnovers.

do you guys think he could have to switch onto quicker players the whole game and still have the legs to dominate on offense ? im just asking a question killing time between games. no need to get pissy. todays game may be easier for guards, but i think it is harder on big men. for this reason I dont see how you drop in a big from the 90s and they have the same success.

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

the guards then were simply not as good today...its not even close. 90s were big dominated, and now its all about the wings.

4. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

At his current age it might be a challenge, but if you are asking about Hakeem in his prime, to call this a silly question would be really polite. Hakeem in my opinion would be a much better player in this era and he is a top 10 all time player based on his playing career already.

s3ts likes this.
  5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

He did not have to play primarily out of the post. His face up game was beyond elite. You could give Dream the ball at the top of the key and he would murder anyone in today's game coming down hill. Think Greek Freak with a deadly pull up Jumper, the best footwork in the history of the game, and 100 elite counter moves. And a better defender to boot.

Defensively he's arguably the best player in the history of the game. You mentioned him possibly tiring out playing guard's but Dream didn't tire. I saw this man perform at insane levels without eating or drinking anything. I could go on about Dream for hours but I'll leave at this. He was a super freak. Gianni's 10.0

I wish the younger generation of Rocket fans would have had a chance to watch Dream play. Those of us who watched him are not delusional. He was really that good.

6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

You are not asking questions, you clearly think you know the answer which is that he would not be good in this era. If that's the case then why pose it as a question. Also it's foolish to think that if Hakeem was playing in this era then he would play the game the same exact way. You can't compare how he played in the 90s and assume he would play the same way in this decade. Also every team plays a big except for rockets so it's not like they have just become extinct. You don't think defensively he would do better than capella or is slower than the joker ?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

sorry hakeem is not anywhere near as explosive giannis. no you cannot just give hakeem the ball at the top of the key and he goes to work stop it.

8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

no i just want to see everyones opinion. we do not have to agree. im offering my perspective and you offer yours. thats kind of the point of a message board.

yea most play a big, and most of them are just taking up space which is why we can do what we do. they think they need them out there because that is what has always been. I am not saying be would be scrub or unplayable, but you guys talking about 30 and 15 ? i really do not think so. giannis is the only big coming close to that and thats because he handles the ball. he can get a rebound and go coast to coast. that isnt dream's game.

9. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

Bigs from the 90s did play in today's game and had great success. Kg, Tim Duncan, and Dirk...
    Except Dream's defense was greater than Kg.
    His foot work and fundamentals were better than Duncan.
    And his dream shake just as deadly as the Dirk fade away.

BaselineFade and s3ts like this.
  10. s3ts

s3ts Member

Hakeem in his prime was a defensive powerhouse. His career numbers breaks top-10 all time in steals as well. Still is #1 all time blocks.

People who are saying he won't be able to guard smaller players just want to somehow bring nitpick arguments like forcing a switch is how Hakeem would meet his demise. This is absurd.

Play a small ball type of game, Hakeem WILL drop 40 on the other side. Smaller player guarding him on the post is not even worth putting out there.

You may have some success offensively if you find open shooters on forced switches, but now you're gambling your shots when Hakeem has 50 FG%, and he's definitely shutting down anything in the paint.

By the way, good luck finding someone who can out-rebound Hakeem.

Jake Tower likes this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

@tinman this is a new low for the GARM...I can’t believe I woke up to this sh*t

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Isn’t OP in love with Melo? U see the nonsense these Melo fans come up with on a routine basis?

BaselineFade likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe in
    The deletion of accounts

it’s a privilege to be on the greatest rockets board created by the greatest rocket fan
    It sure isn’t a right

I know who is the biggest dream fan of all

guess what

he can delete all of you

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Don’t waste your time trying to convince someone who claims to be a rockets fan about Hakeem
    That’s like a bulls fan having to explain a fake bulls fan about jordan

report the enemy and ask for their deletion

15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This thread is just dumb. Dream & Robinson were freak athletes who could shoot. They could pick and pop, pick & roll, spot up and ran like guards. The post up was just a part of their game that they mastered. They mastered other parts of their games as well. Like a mid range jumper. The OP clearly never saw them play or he would know how stupid this question is. Watching Youtube and witnessing careers are 2 different things.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

It’s a troll
    Don’t overthink it
    Just report it to be deleted

17. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Hakeem will do very well in this era, he would even probably adjust to shoot the dream shake from the 3 point line.

darksoul35 and BaselineFade like this.
  18. rockets13champs

He’d play like Giannis but be better than him

19. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

wait, what?
    If this is your opinion, you must be too young to have seen Hakeem play

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, he was. He didnt run people over and dunk as often but his explosiveness on defense has been unmatched since then. Giannis has nowhere near the footwork Dream had. Watch a grainy highlight video and you will see. He would get 5 blocks a night without trying. Giannis gets like 1.

daywalker02, BaselineFade and csj like this.