1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#2 seed is beyond possible or not.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by plutoblue11, Feb 14, 2020.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I think the 3rd seed would be ideal since we don't want to see the Lakers in the second round of the playoffs. Let the Clippers and Lakers battle it out before they see us.

2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's possible. Everyone has to stay healthy. I would be happy with the #2 or #3 seed. In my perfect world the Clippers finish at the 4th seed and face the Lakers in the second round.

The Lakers don't scare me for whatever reason so I would even be ok with the 4th seed. The only team that I fear come playoff time is the Clippers because of their ability to go small with us using multiple lineup combinations. And playoff Kawhi to be honest.

CCity Zero, D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Very frustrating how many blown games they've had this season. Could easily have been the 1 seed.

However...hopefully they finish strong. I don't want to be on the Lakers side of the bracket at all.

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was just about to post that HC isn't that big of a deal. Then I looked up our home playoff record over the last 4 years and it's 17-6.

So yeah....the more HC the better.

But my answer to all Rockets questions is the same - if the 3's are falling, we can beat anybody anywhere any time. If the 3's are not falling, we can lose to anybody anywhere any time.

hakeem94, CCity Zero and D-rock like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lelz NBA basketball is about runs, giving up leads is pretty normal.

Now the thing is blowing out an opponent at home and on the road. We have a very average road record.

Do you think getting blown out by the Phoenix Suns and Kelly Oubre jr, even without Westbrook, is a sign of deserving the 1st seed?

Or atrocious defensive lapses at times?

Or losing to this year's Worriers?

Let's just be fair.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

If the Thunder make it into the top 3 at season's end, Billy Donovan could be in the conversation, as well. He, Nurse and Snyder in Utah have done a really good job.

7. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I actually think the Rockets would be more likely to beat the clippers over a team like Utah who has more weapons this year and won’t want to lose for three straight years to Hou...so yes they really need to get out of fifth...

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nah it'll be Nurse or Spoelstra. Both teams were supposed to be bad this year.

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The rockets could finish at the 2 seed, but the 3 seed could honestly be just as good, so long as the Clippers are at the 4 seed. I think the BEST possible scenario for the Rockets would be the following, assuming the lakers are locked in at the 1

1 - Lakers
    2 - Rockets/Nuggets
    3 - Rockets/Nuggets
    4 - Clippers

I think we would beat the nuggets pretty easily even without home court, so I'm not particularly worried about which team is 2 and which is 3. It is also possible, though unlikely, that the Jazz are in that 2/3 spot with us instead of the nuggets, and I think we'd all be equally (maybe even more) confident in that matchup. The most ideal situation is one where the LA teams play each other before the WCF.

CCity Zero and Nook like this.
  10. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

My thoughts are this is a dumb thread.

hakeem94 and daywalker02 like this.
  11. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I thought seeding was important until we missed 27 straight 3's...

hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  12. rockets13champs

Would u rather play OKC or Dallas round 1 Bc they are as likely to flip 6,7 and we could get 2/3

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Lakers lost to the Majic

Rocket River

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Funny, Majic is Laker legend. ;)

I get that, we'll see. Lakers proved to be more consistent, but to win a title, they also need to step it up a notch. tbh.

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

GSW - W
    UTH - W
    NYK - W
    MEM - W
    BOS - L
    NYK - W
    LAC - L
    CHA - W
    ORL - W
    MIN - W
    LAL - L
    POR - W
    CLE - W
    SAC - L
    CHI - W
    DAL - W
    MIL - L
    IND - L
    DET - W
    PHI - W
    GSW - W
    TOR - L
    DAL - W
    SAS - W
    WAS - W
    SAS - L
    PHX - W
    MEM - L

19-9

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. jonasXV

jonasXV Member

Clippers, Nuggets and Jazz have a tougher schedule if you compare it to the Rockets remaining schedule. However the Mavs schedule it's not the bad the only thing is that the Mavs are not great at home. PG13 hamstring injury might change things. Ideally goes like this:

1. Lakers
    2. Rockets or Dever
    3. Denver or Rockets
    4. LAC
    5. Jazz
    6. Mavs
    7. OKC
    8. Whoever.

17. Nook

Nook Member

The short answer is no, the #2 seed is not beyond possible.

The Nuggets do not have an especially hard schedule, but they also have shown they can lose some games they should not.

The Raptors were on a 15 game win streak recently. The Rockets OR Nuggets are capable of doing that as well.

A situation where the Rockets win 10 in a row, and most likely the Rockets are maybe a game back.

How the Rockets play is more important than their seeding, and this is a season where strict seeding won't mean as much.

The fear of the Lakers is odd to me.... they are not the Bucks...... they also are not a bad match up against the Rockets.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

5 out, no center. Revolutionary basketball - again.

Media may hate smallball, but if Rockets get to 2nd seed MDA will definitely be in running for his THIRD coach of the year award.

seclusion and hakeem94 like this.
  19. BleedsRocketRed

I would rather have the 3rd, if the Clippers go to 4. That way we avoid the Lakers in the 2nd round.
    I think thats how it would play out though.

DeBeards and bj3175 like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lakers scare me.

NOT at all

DeBeards and bj3175 like this.